D&D 5E Icons of the Realms Set 3: Rage of Demons

Kor

First Post
I looove miniatures. I even paint my own (or, more accurately, used to). Sadly I must say that the sets that WizKids are producing are totally horrible. I can't bring myself to spend money on them with what I'm seeing...

The set quality is indeed decreasing but hasn't hit horrible... yet. The Rage of Demons set did have both some pretty decent sculpts and some pretty poor sculpts. The paint application was below average on most of the minis -- which just makes a bad sculpt look even worse (Kobold Guard is a perfect example of this). Also new in this set, was that I received many bases that were warped or bent. Not impressed!

When you compare these minis to the Pathfinder Battles miniatures, its hard to believe the same manufacturer was involved. Thankfully Paizo is involved in the quality control of the miniatures and it makes a HUGE difference. Compare Pathfinder Battles kobold miniatures to D&D miniatures and you will clearly see there is no comparison.

For those on tight budgets, the Pathfinder Battles Miniatures are a much better direction to go!

Pathfinder Battles minis:
www.pathfinderminis.com

D&D minis:
www.minisgallery.com/dnd

Gnashtooth

First Post
I paint all my minis for D&D, which are still almost all old Ral Partha. The paint applications on the new stuff are just terrible. The only things worth owning are some of the monsters, and I find often times they have no character with the blah, 2-3 color paint.

Dargrimm

First Post
I paint all my minis for D&D, which are still almost all old Ral Partha. The paint applications on the new stuff are just terrible. The only things worth owning are some of the monsters, and I find often times they have no character with the blah, 2-3 color paint.

Ral Partha made some of my absolute favourite miniatures back in the time. I miss the 80s and early 90s...

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Granted, most minis painters turn out better looking paint jobs than can be found on the bulk of the Pathfinder or D&D pre-painted figures. After an hour or 6 of paintinting per miniature. But the bulk of the prepaints look better on the table than the unpainted or monochromatic figures usually found on the tables of most gaming groups. And the numbers of prepaints available means there are fewer stand-ins and proxy figures needed.
Don't get me wrong. I love nicely painted minis, and used to get a lot of pleasure carefully painting them myself. But not everyone has the time, talent, and inclination to paint the hundreds of figures most DMs would use.
Even if I could still paint, I would use prepaints for the majority of encounters. I would paint up my own characters if playing, and major npcs or monsters if DMing. But not sure I would spend the time, money, and effort for a fig that might be on the table for no more than 5 minutes.

pukunui

Legend
I looove miniatures. I even paint my own (or, more accurately, used to). Sadly I must say that the sets that WizKids are producing are totally horrible. I can't bring myself to spend money on them with what I'm seeing...
I've bought some of each of the Wizkids D&D sets, and so far I'd have to say the sculpts and paint jobs are, for the most part, superior to the vast majority of WotC D&D minis I've got. It's cool how well they match up with the art for the various 5e critters and such, too.

My only complaints with Wizkids' minis relate to how fragile they are and how not all of them are the "right" size.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I've bought some of each of the Wizkids D&D sets, and so far I'd have to say the sculpts and paint jobs are, for the most part, superior to the vast majority of WotC D&D minis I've got. It's cool how well they match up with the art for the various 5e critters and such, too.

My only complaints with Wizkids' minis relate to how fragile they are and how not all of them are the "right" size.

Really?

My main complaint with Pathfinder minis is that they aren't very useful. They tend to be bizarre monsters. It would be fine in rares but most of the commons are bizarre too.

No one has any idea about shadow beholders eh? At least they did the right thing and made it a very rare.

pukunui

Legend
Really?

My main complaint with Pathfinder minis is that they aren't very useful. They tend to be bizarre monsters. It would be fine in rares but most of the commons are bizarre too.
Yes, really. The Wizkids D&D minis are very useful. Especially this new Rage of Demons set. It's got a whole slew of iconic critters.

I will say the make-up of some of the sets is a bit odd. Why was the darkenbeast included in the Elemental Evil set, for instance? Why are two of the elemental myrmidons and two genies in the Rage of Demons set, when it would've made more sense for them to be in the Elemental Evil set? And so on.

No one has any idea about shadow beholders eh? At least they did the right thing and made it a very rare.
There's been no shadow beholder in the RPG yet. But then there's been no darkenbeast either. (Except in playtest form - in the Scourge of the Sword Coast and Dead in Thay adventures.)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Yes, really. The Wizkids D&D minis are very useful. Especially this new Rage of Demons set. It's got a whole slew of iconic critters.

I will say the make-up of some of the sets is a bit odd. Why was the darkenbeast included in the Elemental Evil set, for instance? Why are two of the elemental myrmidons and two genies in the Rage of Demons set, when it would've made more sense for them to be in the Elemental Evil set? And so on.

There's been no shadow beholder in the RPG yet. But then there's been no darkenbeast either. (Except in playtest form - in the Scourge of the Sword Coast and Dead in Thay adventures.)

Oops for some reason I thought you were comparing pathfinder to wotc minis. I don't know why I thought that but it's how I read it at the time.

I agree with you, the Wotc minis are mostly pretty useful which is why I prefer them.

Thanks for confirmation on the Shadow Beholder.

I have noticed that sometimes minis from one set are represented well in a later or earlier AP.

Who knows, maybe the next AP will have darkenbeasts and shadow beholders. Or maybe not.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Are trade posts allowed? I have an extra rare Nalfeshnee and Spectator. I am looking for Bugbear Hunter, Mind Flayer Lich, Xorn, Grell, Red Dracolich, and the ultra-rares Invis Blink Dog and Invis Mind Flayer. I also have many non-rares from this set and a ton of older sets and DDMs I could trade.

PM me if you would be willing to trade. Thanks!

Remove ads