D&D 5E Icons of the Realms Tyranny of Dragons Miniatures

Mepher

Adventurer
Am I the only one who thinks most of those miniatures are hideous?

The poses are so bland, the detail is nowhere to be found, and the paint jobs are half-hearted at best...

The only ones I'd even consider looking at would be the dragons, and I'll reserve judgement till I can see one up close and personal...

This is my fear. I am 2 months back into playing with my old school group after 20 years off and will be taking over DMing in a couple months. My old minis were long gone and a couple years ago I bought about 60 of the pre-painted D&D minis from a local gaming shop. They had a 50 cent bin of commons and then ended up giving me the 60 of them for only $20. Had I known how cheap that was at the time I would have bought a lot more. Now I want to start building a significant collection over time so I pre-ordered 10 Boosters. They won't be here until tomorrow but I heard some bad stuff about the quality of the starter pack. Can anyone that has already gotten some boosters chime in on the quality or are all the opinions on here so far based on pictures?

I am hoping they are decent because 10 boosters ended up costing me $100. Even if I only bought 10 boosters per release, thats 40 new ones per pop. I can build a decent collection that way.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I was just messing with you. I knew what you meant. I have 4 kids myself. The youngest is about yo turn 5 so nap time is a thing of the past for us.

Wait. Nap time ends? :.-(

Semi-good: I use lots of ziplock bags labelled with creature type. Works in theory but in practice it's a) bad for browsing your collection and b) needs some diligence to immediately store it in the correct bag after use, which I rarely show after several hours of gaming.

I used gladware bins for a while, and they had these problems. But browsing peoples' suggestions ignited my wife's imagination. Part of the issue is our game room is a repurposed dining room, so she wants containers to be nicer looking than ziplock bags or the gladware we'd used intermittently.

Our solution was to go to Bed, Bath & Beyond and shop for containers (with 3 little ones in tow). We ended up with some smaller and some larger bins, depending on how many of certain categories I've accumulated over the years. There are way more humans than halflings, gnomes, and catfolk combined.

2014-08-20 06.53.21.jpg

Thanks again for the help; I'm sorry for the derail. But I'll probably be buying some of these the next time I'm in my local store, so this is related to the topic. :)

Thaumaturge.

Mepher

Adventurer
This bins look nice Thaumaturge. I am going to need something in the future. The hardest part I am going to have starting out is building up a good collection of commons. Always have a use for 10-20 skeletons, zombies, orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc.. Probably going to have to break down and buy them individually and focus on each group rather than taking my chances with blind draws.

AmmiPierce

First Post
In person, the ones with the double big creatures are noticeably heavier. At my FLGS, the owner had a little scale and we weighed the ones he had. He bought the heaviest and it had a bronze and red dragon (Svirf and Orc, too). 7.7 ounces. The four small figure ones are all around 5 ounces.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
This bins look nice Thaumaturge. I am going to need something in the future. The hardest part I am going to have starting out is building up a good collection of commons. Always have a use for 10-20 skeletons, zombies, orcs, goblins, kobolds, etc.. Probably going to have to break down and buy them individually and focus on each group rather than taking my chances with blind draws.

It takes a while to build out a collection, for sure. I've purchased very few singles. I've mostly relied upon commons to fill out my needs. For the first ~3 sets (it has been a while, I don't exactly remember) of the D&D mini line I bought a case each. Except for a few oddities (I have very few dragonborn), that method served me well. I definitely have plenty of undead, goblinoids, and orcs. Those groups all required the larger bins.

And the bins we are using are from Bed, Bath & Beyond. The small ones are $11. The larger ones are $15. It gets expensive depending on how many groups you do and how much growth you want to prepare for. But they look nicer than my last solution, so my wife is much more on board. There's always a cost-benefit analysis to be had.

After I look at the Tyranny of Dragon set in person, I'll probably buy more than I should.

Thaumaturge.

thewok

First Post
Got them all opened and counted. If people are interested in seeing how it came out, I can post the numbers. I need to recount, though, as my document seems to be missing a couple of figures. I should have 128 noted, and I only have 126 down. Sadly, neither is the one I'm missing.

One case, and I'm still missing one figure: the Deva Angel, #38.

I would note that I got two Bronze Dragons, and they were both the second Large in double-Large packs. They also were the only figures to come packaged that way. So, if you want a Bronze Dragon, grab the heaviest pack you can find (or, just order it).

Also, I got four invisibles out of the case, and they're all different figures.

Remove ads