D&D 5E Icons of the Realms Tyranny of Dragons Miniatures

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I picked up a case of the new D&D minis. Here are a few observations:

1. There are 4 figures in a booster. One large, the other 3 might be small, medium, or may include another large.
  2. The names and numbers are VERY difficult to read, as they are (mostly) molded on the base bottom in small font. (I needed a magnifying glass and very good lighting)
  3. There are lots of dragons, all in-flight.
  4. The case contained all 44 painted figures in the set, but the set contains more than 44. The Gargantuan Brass is #45 (case incentive figure sold separately). The figures from the starter are #46-51.
  5. The set also contains invisible versions of some of the character figures, including the starters.
  6. The invisibles are numbered the same as the painted.
  7. The painted starters are not included in the case, but invisible versions are.
  8. The case did not include all of the invisibles. The invisibles I got were: #1 Rock Gnome Female Wizard, #46 Drow Elf Ranger Drizzt, #47 Gold Dwarf Cleric, and #48 Human Female Ranger.
  9. Dragons included Gold, Silver, Red, Blue (all large and 1 each); Green, Shadow Black, Bronze, and Copper (again all large, 3 to 5 each). There is no White, regular Black, or large version of the Brass within the set.

I have yet to find a set list, so will try to compile one (but the names on most are soooo hard to read!)

fjw70

Adventurer
What is the general quality of the minis? Are they made of the more rigid plastic like the PF ones or more flexible plastic like the old D&D minis?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
What is the general quality of the minis? Are they made of the more rigid plastic like the PF ones or more flexible plastic like the old D&D minis?
Quality and plastic are just like the Pathfinder minis, though the colors are not as bright.
They do not identify on the figure which set they are from, just name, number, copyright date Wizkids/NECA, TM & copyright Wizards.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I have made a Set List. Note they are grouped by rarity (33-44 being Rare, 45-51 being Fixed, and all Invisibles being Extra Rare) and size. Only the Invisibles of 46-51 can be found in the Boosters.

1/45 Rock Gnome Female Wizard (s)
1/45 INVISIBLE Rock Gnome Female Wizard (s)
2/45 Stoutheart Halfling Female Bard (s)
2/45 INVISIBLE Stoutheart Halfling Female Bard (s)
3/45 Quickling (s)
4/45 SSvirfneblin Fighter (s)
5/45 Kobold Fighter (s)
6/45 Goblin Fighter (s)
7/45 Mane Demon (s)
8/45 Human Paladin
9/45 Sun Elf Guard
10/45 Orc Fighter
11/45 Human Zhentarim Bandit
12/45 Hobgoblin Fighter
13/45 Human Female Barbarian
14/45 Orog Orc Fighter (very large medium)
15/45 Doppleganger
16/45 Wood Elf Druid
17/45 Green Hag
18/45 Needle Blight
19/45 Human Red Wizard
20/45 Human Cult of the Dragon Enforcer
21/45 Bugbear
22/45 Guard Drake
23/45 Wraith
24/45 Bronze Dragon (in flight) (L)
25/45 Ogre Mage (L)
26/45 Stone Giant Elder (L)
27/45 Frost Giant (L)
28/45 Pegasus (in flight) (L)
29/45 Wyvern (in flight) (L)
30/45 Black Shadow Dragon (in flight) (L)
31/45 Green Dragon (in flight) (L)
32/45 Copper Dragon (in flight) (L)
33/45 Half Black Drqagon Lord
34/45 Balista
35/45 Mindflayer
36/45 Half Red Dragon Fighter
37/45 Aarakocra (in flight)
38/45 Novanic Deva Angel (in flight)
39/45 Harpy (in flight)
40/45 Gargoyle (in flight)
41/45 Blue Dragon (in flight) (L)
42/45 Silver Dragon (in flight) (L)
43/45 Red Dragon (in flight) (L)
44/45 Gold Dragon (in flight) (L)
45/45 Brass Dragon (in flight) (Gargantuan)
46/51 Drow Elf Ranger Drizzt
46/51 INVISIBLE Drow Elf Ranger Drizzt
47/51 Gold Dwarf Female Cleric
47/51 INVISIBLE Gold Dwarf Female Cleric
48/51 Human Female Ranger
48/51 INVISIBLE Human Female Ranger
49/51 Sun Elf Female Wizard
49/51 INVISIBLE Sun Elf Female Wizard
50/51 Northlands Fighter
50/51 INVISIBLE Northlands Fighter
51/51 Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (s)
51/51 INVISIBLE Lightfoot Halfling Rogue (s)

Last edited:

fjw70

Adventurer
I picked up a pack at lunch. The plastics is not as rigid as the PF minis.

i got a deep gnome, a Kobold, an ambush drake, and a wyvern. The all except the drake are just okay. I really like the drake (but I am a sucker for dragon-kind) and will probably pick some more up on the secondary market.

Overall I don't think they were worth the $17 I spent, but I always like to get a booster to check out a new set of minis. I will probably stick to the secondary market to pick up a few of them since I already have a large mini collection.

TheSethGrey

First Post
Any chance you could take some pictures of the minis? I can't seem to find any online and I like to know what's in the boosters before I go and buy one, but if not your list is still amazingly helpful, so thank you good sir.

fjw70

Adventurer
So all the giants are large but all the giants in the rules are huge. That's a disconnect.

also, in my post above I meant guard drake.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
So all the giants are large but all the giants in the rules are huge. That's a disconnect.

also, in my post above I meant guard drake.
The sizes I gave are all from the Base sizes (1/2, 1, 2, 4 inch) The Giants are closer to Huge in height. Likewise, the Orog is 2" tall, but on a 1" base. The gargantuan Brass Dragon is on a 4" base, but the figure is closer to the size of the previous D&D Miniatures huge dragons.

Remove ads