ICv2's Top 5 RPGs for Spring 2020 - D&D 3PPs In The Chart!

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020. The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well...

ICv2's latest set of figures are in (I compile them all here) and, while there's little surprise about D&D followed by Pathfinder coming in the top two places, and Starfinder also featuring, there's a new entry -- "5E-Compatible". These are for Spring 2020.

LostCityCover-900.jpg

The 5E-Compatible category, according to ICv2's online magazine, shows that collectively third-party D&D products are doing well, although none individually make the top five chart. Goodman Games was called out in particular, as were Kobold Press and Nord Games. RPGs as a whole, however, took a (small) dip for the first time in years, likely due to COVID.

One retailer commented on WotC's D&D releases, noting that while sales of recent books have been 'OK', it's been a while since a really big hit like the Volo and Xanathar Guides.

1Dungeons & DragonsWizards of the Coast
2PathfinderPaizo
35E-CompatibleVarious
4StarfinderPaizo
5CyberpunkR. Talsorian

Mercador

Adventurer
I don't know about everybody else, but I (for now) have more leisure time and am playing a lot more than I normally would. I am also not dining out, going to karaoke bars, breweries, movies, gaming conventions, sporting events, concerts, theaters, etc. So really gaming is my only entertainment.
Good point. What it shows me is that I don't allow me any leisure like that, so it might explains why I haven't think of those...

BryonD

Hero
So what you are saying is that you haven't played Pathfinder Second Edition.

I started playing and running AD&D back in 1979. I enjoyed the role play aspect of the game and the tremendous amount of fun I had for years. It is quite obvious that what Gygax and Arneson started has evolved over time into a complete industry with a lot of different rules systems. You may not like 2e, but unless you have actually played it, you don't know what you are talking about.

My offer to run a PFS2 scenarios stands.
Sorry for the long absence. But, to give a quick reply: It is hilarious that you think you know what I know and what I like better than I do.

I know quite well and quite specifically why PF2E fails to deliver the kind of gaming experience that I want. If you go digging in the Pathfinder forum you can find details.

But, again, please continue to blame the customer. That always ends well.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
Sorry for the long absence. But, to give a quick reply: It is hilarious that you think you know what I know and what I like better than I do.

I know quite well and quite specifically why PF2E fails to deliver the kind of gaming experience that I want. If you go digging in the Pathfinder forum you can find details.

But, again, please continue to blame the customer. That always ends well.

So, once again you have indicated you have not played Pathfinder Second Edition. Therefore, you don't know what you are talking about. You are just a disgruntled PF1 player angry that Paizo made a new edition and stopped producing new content for PF1.

PF2 is a great success. They have broken all their previous sales records with this edition. You're just going to have to live with the reality instead of the fantasy you prefer.

My offer of running a PFS2 session stands.

You can come hang out on the Discord forums for PFS2 if you want to learn more. PFS2 Discord

Have a nice day!
Xathos of Varisia

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You are just a disgruntled PF1 player angry that Paizo made a new edition and stopped producing new content for PF1.
Have a nice day!

Mod Note:
"Let me insult you, and then tell you to have a nice day!" is not going to fly.

We expect rather more respect for your fellow posters than shown here. Be better.

BryonD

Hero
So, once again you have indicated you have not played Pathfinder Second Edition. Therefore, you don't know what you are talking about. You are just a disgruntled PF1 player angry that Paizo made a new edition and stopped producing new content for PF1.
Huh?
I said I know exactly what about PF2E I dislike. How can that POSSIBLY indicate I haven't played it.
It is TRUE that I have not played it "a lot". But you seem to be just saying what you wish was true here and ignoring what is actually said.

For the record, I'm disappointed that Paizo choose to go a direction that rejects important gaming ideas to my personal playstyle. Why shouldn't I be?
But there are lots of companies not catering to me. And, you can even find me suggesting that it may be a bad idea to cater to me specifically because I actally do appreciate where my tastes fall within the big tent of 2020 gaming. And I'm cool with that.

PF2 is a great success. They have broken all their previous sales records with this edition. You're just going to have to live with the reality instead of the fantasy you prefer.
OK
I'll be over here with data and stuff.

I've been down this road before and I know how the story ends.

My offer of running a PFS2 session stands.

You can come hang out on the Discord forums for PFS2 if you want to learn more. PFS2 Discord
And my request for you to FIRST explain how you understand my personal dissatisfaction with PF2E and will mitigate my concerns also still stands. If you can do that, then I'm there.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
Huh?
I said I know exactly what about PF2E I dislike. How can that POSSIBLY indicate I haven't played it.
It is TRUE that I have not played it "a lot". But you seem to be just saying what you wish was true here and ignoring what is actually said.

For the record, I'm disappointed that Paizo choose to go a direction that rejects important gaming ideas to my personal playstyle. Why shouldn't I be?
But there are lots of companies not catering to me. And, you can even find me suggesting that it may be a bad idea to cater to me specifically because I actally do appreciate where my tastes fall within the big tent of 2020 gaming. And I'm cool with that.

OK
I'll be over here with data and stuff.

I've been down this road before and I know how the story ends.

And my request for you to FIRST explain how you understand my personal dissatisfaction with PF2E and will mitigate my concerns also still stands. If you can do that, then I'm there.
The usual blah blah blah.

Offer to run a game of PFS2 still stands any time you actually want to play the edition.

BryonD

Hero
The usual blah blah blah.

Offer to run a game of PFS2 still stands any time you actually want to play the edition.
HA!
How does "And my request for you to FIRST explain how you understand my personal dissatisfaction with PF2E and will mitigate my concerns also still stands. If you can do that, then I'm there. " get hand-waved away as "blah blah blah".
You clearly can't even wrap your brain around the distinction between "Jimmy likes it" and "other people like it".

I've given you a completely reasonable condition for your offer. I accept your duck and run response as admission that you are incapable of meeting this reasonable condition. (Which was obviously true anyway, so no news there)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You two, stop talking to each other, please. There’s nothing to be gained in this exchange.

Remove ads

Remove ads