• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General "I'd like to run (or play in) an all ___________ campaign." (+)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've tried games with the party being all adopted orphans etc (Baldur's Gate-inspired), but inevitably someone dies, or a new player joins, etc and the "we were a close-knit family growing up" stops working when the third new character gets introduced at level 8, months n months into the game.
If the game is "all dwarves" then more dwarves can come along- easier than saying "this is another orphan family member that you all grew up with and became adventurers."
Hey, it worked for Charmed!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I did at one point want to run an all human (initially) campaign. Each is a member of the same barbarian tribe exploring the world around them, no classes like clerics, wizards, monks or paladins. As they explore they meet new races which might open up options for replacement characters. At some point an ancient ruin or something would be found letting the players discover that they're actually living in some sort of post-apocalyptic fantasy world. They might find their way back to the old gods or relearn wizardry or learn old metalworking techniques.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've wanted to run an all-maritime campaign for ages (as in, mix of species, classes, etc. but most/all of the action takes place at sea) but none of my players have ever shown the least bit of interest.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I also ran an all wizard party way back when. Unfortunately it was 2E and low level casters were pretty pathetic back then. It ended in a TPK despite my best efforts. :)
Yeah, you really need the wizards to start at 5th or 6th level or otherwise have non-combat missions that instead allow them to use their knowledge and other abilities to complete the mission. Once they reach higher level though they tended to be pretty potent, though other issues arise with enemies having far better saves and the occasional magic resistant monster.

I did run a couple of friends as 9th level invokers in 2e, but they also had a fighter and cleric as retainers so not fully wizard.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
All "nature and wilderness people in the city" game.

Barbarians, druids, rangers, etc.
Wood elves, forest gnomes, orc, etc

Everyone adapting their wild natures to urban dirty alleyway fights, ballroom blitzes, and bar fights.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
All Wizards. Not someone is a sorcerer, someone is a warlock or an eldritch knight or artificer. Wizards. Every. Freaking. One.
There’s a 2Ed module in which the players start off by playing the named wizards- you know, Bigsby, Otto, etc.- going to take care of Vecna.

(“Again?” “Again.”)

Then other stuff happens.

Personally, I’ve never felt the urge to run or participate in a “monoculture” game (besides the Vecna one, above), but I’ve come close in my current group:

- we almost ran a Lankhmar campaign, but it fell through.

- we had an all dwarf party set up until someone created an ice-themed human wizard. We were that close to calling it a “Snow White” campaign when a new guy joined the group and made a human cleric.

In another group, we had a GURPS campaign in which the group had 4 characters made up of 2 sets of identical twins.

In that same group, I ran a 1900 Supers game in which all of the characters were part of the same interplanetary law enforcement agency.

Back in the 2e days, I had an all-minotaur Dragonlance campaign planned out. Sadly it fizzled out at the end of summer when we went back to school, but it was good while it lasted.

Remove ads