• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ideal DNDNext Digital Support

- Free pdf or eBook with hardcover purchase

- Tablet- or smartphone-based apps that can be used around the table (examples: character sheets, DM tools like combat & initiative tracker, dice roller, maybe even a digital combat map)

Stoat

Adventurer
1. Remember me! I'm tired of logging in every other day.

2. Let me login with a username. Typing my whole email address using my iPad is a pain in the ass.

3. On that note, make your stuff work on my iPad/iPhone.

4. I shouldn't have to click two links and wait for a PDF to download just to read a two-page article.

5. I love the Compendium, and I want it to last forever.

BobTheNob

First Post
3. On that note, make your stuff work on my iPad/iPhone.

Regardless of all else, this is becoming a major priority. In our group, those that dont have ipads have iphones. It would be awesome if those devices integrated. To be able to access information WITHOUT needing to bug the DM or piss around trying to guess at what information to write down on a piece of paper ("What was the name of the town again...") or give yourself RSI trying to record everything.

Consider Android clients also. The next couple of years your going to see more android tablets.

drothgery

First Post
I'd love to have eBook versions, but PDFs (or at least non-reflowable PDFs, which is what you almost always get for gaming books) are terrible on any device that can't show a normal gaming book-sized page.

I am not a huge fan of subscription services, so I would really like to see them move to a either a free content model that helps drives book sales (which is where I would prefer their focus to be anyway) or at least allow me to buy things like the charater creation software seperately (while i am not interested in having to pay ten bucks a month to keep access to a character creator program, i wouldn't mind spending for bucks to own the software myself).

Another thing I wouldn't mind paying for (but again not interested in a subscription) is a genuine and functional Gm management program. i have yet to see anyone create one that works properly.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Basically I think WotC should go the micro transaction rout rather than subscription that require you to be online to use, I wouldn't mind subscription that will allow me to use stuff offline.

Here is my vision for DnD on the iPad, you download the app for free from the app store in it you have store, in the beginning it will have the DMG PHB and MM and you can buy each of them separately or in a bundle.

The PHB is both a book and a character builder and sheet all rolled into one, the reader will have the ability to read through the book like it was a normal interactive book, including short videos of groups playing and showing some of the rules or interactive explanations but at any point during the reading the player can press the small build icon and than each section becomes an option, so you read through the races and by the end of each section you can choose it to be part of your character, same goes with backgrounds, themes, skills, feats, equipment and everything else and once you are done you can access this character on a character sheet.

Once you have the PHB you will be able to purchase other player oriented materials, WotC or 3rd party publisher, and they will get seamlessly integrated to the PHB and the character builder.

Same goes to the DMG and the MM, the DMG will have all the tools for building and running games and the MM will have the monster builder.

Warder

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I also need:

- iOS-enabled tools. Most of my prep happens on my iPad nowadays.
- A monster tracker/customizer similar to what exists now, with the ability to export all monsters I've selected for an adventure into a Word doc.
- A robust character generator that allows for extensive house ruling.
- A website that actually remembers I'm logged in
- A database similar to the Compendium but with an easier, more flexible front end (note that I don't mind subscription services; DDI has saved me money as opposed to buying all those books separately.)
- A treasure tracker to easily note which PC has what items.

Remove ads