D&D 5E Ideas for Initiative house rules

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
It's interesting that these days there's now a tendency to revisit what for about at least 15 years seemed to have been widely regarded as a solved problem.
DMDavid's site summarizes a 2020 Gencon podcast (hour long, at the 34 minute mark discussion) of D&D 3rd edition co-designer Monte Cook, where he talks about initiative being one of the toughest rules to figure out when transitioning from AD&D and its declaration initiative.

The DMG optional initiative rules tells me that it was never going to be a done deal for some.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The part that we are missing is that it can seriously bone the slower characters.
. . .
It resolves like this
Int 10: shoots guy A
Int 7: guy A runs behind building
Int 5/1: twiddle thumbs.
Out of curiosity, why would Int 5/1 just twiddle their thumbs? In 5E D&D, there are plenty of other actions that you can take on your turn than just attack over and over again. Change positions. Heal their wounded comrades. Reload. Search for other snipers in the area. Drink a potion. Arcane Recovery. Etc.

The DMG optional initiative rules tells me that it was never going to be a done deal for some.
The DMG rules come after a long period in which it was not touched upon.

I'm sure there were always dissenters. But I don't recall seeing alternative initiative as a topic of conversation throughout the entire life of 3E or 4E.

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, why would Int 5/1 just twiddle their thumbs? In 5E D&D, there are plenty of other actions that you can take on your turn than just attack over and over again. Change positions. Heal their wounded comrades. Reload. Search for other snipers in the area. Drink a potion. Arcane Recovery. Etc.

Mind you, this was 4 presidents ago, so I could be mistaken or just remembering a bad GM, but something along the lines of "the action you declared is the only action you can take." Kind of the way readied actions work now. If the trigger never happens, you don't act.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Shadowrun(i think) used a few decades ago
I'll pipe in on this just because we just started a Shadowrun 2E game.

Yes, in Shadowrun SPEED KILLS more than anything IMO. Highest goes first and you go again every 10 count later.

So, if you rolled 24 (which is pretty good), you would go on 24, 14, and 4. If a mook you're attacking rolled poorly, say a 7, then you would act twice (on 24 and 14) before the mook can do anything at all. In Shadowrun 2E, this could be 4 gunshots at the mook before it acts. Which means it is likely dead. :D

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Mind you, this was 4 presidents ago, so I could be mistaken or just remembering a bad GM, but something along the lines of "the action you declared is the only action you can take." Kind of the way readied actions work now. If the trigger never happens, you don't act.
Oh right, I remember those, "Called actions." There was a person at the table (a "caller") who would collect everyone's actions and declare them to the DM at the start of every turn. There's a version of this in the BECM rules, actually. From page 5 of the Rules Cyclopedia:

Mapping and Calling
Although each person will be playing the role of a character, the players should also handle the jobs of mapping and calling. Any player can be the mapper or caller.
The mapper is the player who draws a map of the dungeon as it is explored. One or more of the characters should be making maps, but one of the players must make the actual map. The map should be kept on the table for all to see and refer to. Pencil should be used when making the map, incase of errors or tricky passages.
If the party's movement carries it into new and unmapped territory, the DM will describe the area in detail so the party's mapper can map it. If something such as a secret door or treasure item is discovered, the DM describes it and announces the results if the characters examine it.
The caller is a player selected by the other players to describe party actions so the DM doesn't have to listen to several voices at once. He or she tells the DM what the party is doing this turn. If the DM prefers, each individual can describe his own actions. The caller is just a convenience in many campaigns; it's not a game rule that players have to use.

I cut my teeth on the BECM rules. And honstly? Sometime, it's very helpful to have a caller at the table--especially if you have a group that likes to make decisions by committee, or who like to roll Initiative every turn and then carefully plan everything out. But...well. I've played in games where the DM took the caller very seriously, and would stick to the actions that the caller declared no matter what. If an action became impossible due to movement or actions of the monster? Oh well, you should have thought of that, ha ha, sucks to be you, you just lost your turn.

But that was never the intent of having a caller; the rules are pretty explicit that the "job" of being a caller was purely a convenience. But I know at least one DM who would abuse it just to mess with the players.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The DMG rules come after a long period in which it was not touched upon.

I'm sure there were always dissenters. But I don't recall seeing alternative initiative as a topic of conversation throughout the entire life of 3E or 4E.
I wasn't on D&D message boards at the time, but around our own crew alternative initiative ideas were a topic of conversation the moment we started playing 3e and saw how its initiative was intended to function.

That, and we'd already designed our own initiative system for 1e many years prior (which we still use now) and thus hadn't had a reason to thnk about it for ages.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think 1e as written is supposed to be like this, but it's a bad rule once it leads to non-realistic outcomes in the game.

Remove ads