If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
See, this is hard to turn into a proper discussion, because the original scenario was terribly sarcastic on purpose.

Yeah, if you say you wipe the handle, then you are going to find a contact poison. That's just obvious to me.
Ok, that’s common ground. That’s a good start. For me, that’s where the conversation ends. When the outcome of the thing the player says their character does is obvious, then the obvious thing is what happens, full stop. The dice are for when what happens as a result is not obvious.

But, if you say you check the door for traps, and we agree that you roll the dice, and you roll low even with all your bonuses... how else do you explain it? We all can look at the die sitting on the table, and see that it is an incredibly low number. For some reason your thief with poison trap specialty missed the poison trap, it is a low die number, maybe you just didn't give it your best effort on that one?
This is why vague statements like, “I check for traps” are a poor strategy. Yes, if I just said I check for traps without saying what I’m doing to check for them, we have little choice but to determine what my character was doing that resulted in that failure retroactively. The dice are generating the story - we didn’t really know what my character was doing until we found out whether it worked or not, and then we came up with a narrative explanation for the result. And if you like to play that way, more power to you! I do not like to play that way, because it puts my successes and failures in the hands of chance. I want my successes and failures to be in my hands. I enjoy the game more when I succeed because I thought of a clever plan or fail because I took a calculated risk and it didn’t pay off.

But if my description of why you failed offends you, then you can call me out on it and we can discuss the real reason you failed. But, if we roll the dice, and the dice say you failed, then you failed. You can't say "but I looked really closely and I'm really good at this, I couldn't have failed". We rolled, you failed. The question is just how and why you failed. And if you have a reason you like for the why, then great, we'll go with yours. But, a lot of my players don't have those ideas. They can't conceive of why they failed when they are so good at the thing, so I have to provide the answer.
Yes, absolutely. If we all agree to let the dice decide whether I succeed or fail, we need to come up with an explanation for what the dice say happened. That, to me, is putting the cart before the horse. You’re starting from the result and working backwards to explain how we got there. I prefer to start from the action, and only if we cannot figure out what is most likely to happen as a result, then we turn to the imartial random number generators to help us decide.

Yeah, look, I get it. Really I do. Some people are like rabid dogs defending a bone when it comes to their character's autonomy. Because of whatever reasons.

But I'm not going around making stuff up out of nowhere when I do this. I play off of the recent events in the story, off of the established pattern of your character's personality. I don't tell the selfless paladin he's thinking about murdering that guy in the bar who spilled his drink, but the barbarian whose established he's a vindictive jerk who holds even the smallest grudge? That's perfectly in character for him to think that.

And, again, if you don't like my description. If it offends you, then we can come up with something else. But, we know something had to have happened, because you failed at your goal.

Edit: I'm coming across a little harsh here, and I want to step back for a moment.

I also get annoyed when DM's tell me what actions my character takes. I'm still salty about a DM ruling where a fellow player was trying for a non-lethal takedown, but because a crticial hit the DM ruled it was a maiming blow that left the target footless.

But at the same time, I've also had players who bristle at the slightest hint of me doing anything with how their character feels. IE:

"As the terrifying form of the dragon rises over the-"
"Wargros isn't scared. You can't tell me how he feels, he's seen way more terrifying things than that dragon"

And the momentum of the scene is ruined, because some guy had to get upset that his warrior might feel fear. Or awe. Or any emotion at all.

It is frustrating as a DM to end up with a player with whom you can use no descriptive language at all, because you can't tell them how their character feels about anything at all. And I've dealt with that, and it annoyed the crap out of me.
The best novels don’t tell you how the characters are feeling, save maybe the POV character. They describe only what can be observed from a 3rd person perspective. When DMing, I try to keep in mind that each PC is the POV character of their player’s story. So I never describe what the characters feel. The players provide that description for themelves (and ideally to themselves, in their own heads). I describe only what they can observe. Its the old “show, don’t tell” adage - don’t tell the players that the dragon is frightening, show them what is frightening about it. Be as evocative as you like in describing the power in its muscles, the malicious intellect in its eyes, the deafening timbre of its voice, the blood stains on its spear-like fangs, the heat of its breath that could turn to hellfire in an instant. Let the players decide for themselves how their characters feel about what you are describing.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Thanks for the response.

I may have not been completely clear on what I meant. And, yep, sometimes I'm overly sarcastic. As far as a PC asking to make a skill check, I don't see why it's a big deal.
Yes, you've said. The big deal should be for the player, as failure has a consequence in my game. You seem to keep missing this.
I also have no idea how you would respond to someone new at your table if they say "I make ___ skill check" because you've never really said as far as I remember other than that somehow it would never happen.
As this question has been answered ad nauseum, the only way you still don't know has to be studied inattention.

Of course it happens when I have a new player and am unwinding what other GM's have done in their games. If I need to, I explain it again, my other players explain it. Despite how hard you're trying to make it, it's really not hard at all. Once I made the mental shift to this style, it's been pretty easy to get players to.

There's a lot here, so just to summarize the point of the jewelry heist scene was multiple. The shopkeeper provided a great deal of info in a natural conversation. The perpetrator was able to get past all the locks and wards, may not have had a good way of knowing when the shopkeeper went to bed (no one left the building). There probably would have been some other cookie crumb to follow had the conversation gone past that point, like the fact that he only leaves the shop for his visits to The Red Head League meetings because I'm using Arthur Conan Doyle as an inspiration. In addition, it just makes sense to me that the group would want to talk to him. If they question people up and down the street, that may be hand-waved but the shopkeeper is central enough to get his moment in the spotlight and not just a handout.
:blink: okay.

I'm not going to argue about the insight check any more. Unless I exclusively use passive insight (I don't) if I don't call for it the players know the shopkeeper is not trying to be deceptive whether they acknowledge or even consciously recognize it. If he shopkeeper was trained in deception but a PC wins the contest, no one has stated that it's an automatic "he's lying, roll for initiative". I'd probably say "he's hiding something" or "there's something suspicious about his behavior". Maybe he keeps glancing at a spot on the floor where there's a loose brick where he hid the jewels.
Presumably the players were already suspicious when they asked for the check, so, if they succeed, you confirm they should be suspicious? What happens if they fail?

Look, you can, of course, play however you enjoy (and more power to you), but I put in a lot of thought about what checks actually mean in the fiction and what they do. I'm not going to call for a check if it doesn't do something concretely changing in the fiction on both a success or a failure. A check, in my game, will always, always, always change the fiction. Something will happen to make it different from before. And, because of this, I've changed what's in my sessions. These fundamental changes mean that asking to roll a check in my game would be very suboptimal play.

A successful insight check uncovering an attempt at deception is not proof. It's just a bread crumb.
Then, what's the point? If the check does not resolve an uncertainty, what does it do?

I'd be perfectly okay with the player saying "I do an intimidation check" in which case I'd let him know he doesn't get advantage. If he had already rolled with advantage I'd ask him to roll again. This is where I simply don't care how a person states their intent and action where you seem to.
See, this is why people don't give you examples. You ignore the presentation of play and how method is utilized and zero in on a specific point, change it, and then say how you'd make a different call in the changed situation. Here, you say, "I'd be fine with just asking for an intimidate check." You ignore that the player presented an approach that tried to either get an automatic success (a pit fighting champion in spiked armor that gives off infernal smoke and with glowing red eyes is pretty threatening) or at least angling for advantage. And, his approach negated the disadvantage for trying to intimidate someone four times your size that has a bunch of burly friends at his back. Your roll, absent goal and approach, does what? What did the PC do? What do I have to assume to figure out what happens on a success or failure?

Did the PC use subtle threats against family? Don't know.

Did the PC threaten to burn down the bar? Don't know.

Why am I going to guess when I can just have the player tell me?

Bluntly, I don't remember seeing a description of removing a trap that I've seen on this thread from the descriptive folks made a mention of a die roll. In fact the concept being pushed has been summed up as "only use dice as a last resort".
Again, studied inattention is the only possibility. I've provided actual play examples with die rolls that you've responded to!!!

And, no one, as in not a single person in this thread, has ever said "use dice as a last resort." They've said players should avoid rolling, and that's because failure has consequences and you want to minimize your exposure. I call for dice all the time.

For example:
I'd say you badly misunderstand that response.

Now, if you're saying you use passive numbers extensively, that's fine. Depending on the situation I will do that as well. Sometimes that orcish encampment will have such poor quality traps that success is automatic. But I find people often like the randomness of rolling a die. Or maybe that's just me when my character is a halfling who has the "lucky" feat. :hmm:
I only use passive numbers when a given approach calls for them. Also, since a check will always change the fiction, I don't need to hide things and can ooenly ask fir passive values because things, at that point, are already going to happen.

If you like the randomness of the die, the GM probably isn't applying consequences for failure.

5ekyu

Hero
Yes, you've said. The big deal should be for the player, as failure has a consequence in my game. You seem to keep missing this.

As this question has been answered ad nauseum, the only way you still don't know has to be studied inattention.

Of course it happens when I have a new player and am unwinding what other GM's have done in their games. If I need to, I explain it again, my other players explain it. Despite how hard you're trying to make it, it's really not hard at all. Once I made the mental shift to this style, it's been pretty easy to get players to.

:blink: okay.

Presumably the players were already suspicious when they asked for the check, so, if they succeed, you confirm they should be suspicious? What happens if they fail?

Look, you can, of course, play however you enjoy (and more power to you), but I put in a lot of thought about what checks actually mean in the fiction and what they do. I'm not going to call for a check if it doesn't do something concretely changing in the fiction on both a success or a failure. A check, in my game, will always, always, always change the fiction. Something will happen to make it different from before. And, because of this, I've changed what's in my sessions. These fundamental changes mean that asking to roll a check in my game would be very suboptimal play.

Then, what's the point? If the check does not resolve an uncertainty, what does it do?

See, this is why people don't give you examples. You ignore the presentation of play and how method is utilized and zero in on a specific point, change it, and then say how you'd make a different call in the changed situation. Here, you say, "I'd be fine with just asking for an intimidate check." You ignore that the player presented an approach that tried to either get an automatic success (a pit fighting champion in spiked armor that gives off infernal smoke and with glowing red eyes is pretty threatening) or at least angling for advantage. And, his approach negated the disadvantage for trying to intimidate someone four times your size that has a bunch of burly friends at his back. Your roll, absent goal and approach, does what? What did the PC do? What do I have to assume to figure out what happens on a success or failure?

Did the PC use subtle threats against family? Don't know.

Did the PC threaten to burn down the bar? Don't know.

Why am I going to guess when I can just have the player tell me?

Again, studied inattention is the only possibility. I've provided actual play examples with die rolls that you've responded to!!!

And, no one, as in not a single person in this thread, has ever said "use dice as a last resort." They've said players should avoid rolling, and that's because failure has consequences and you want to minimize your exposure. I call for dice all the time.

I'd say you badly misunderstand that response.

I only use passive numbers when a given approach calls for them. Also, since a check will always change the fiction, I don't need to hide things and can ooenly ask fir passive values because things, at that point, are already going to happen.

If you like the randomness of the die, the GM probably isn't applying consequences for failure.
"If you like the randomness of the die, the GM probably isn't applying consequences for failure."

This may be one of our notable differences.

A statement like that has a definite chance to make players be afraid of failing a check, of risking a check, especially if combined with the comments like how if it goes to checks you are "cheating yourself" and so on. The general push and emphasis seems to be that failing a check is not just a failed attempt but something pretty dang drastic.

Yes, I know you did not say that exactly, not gonna get that nailed down, but your tone really does not in that response get close to anything else.

But, it wont take too much to find GMs who view a failed check as an opportunity for something "not as good as a successful check was" (measured against the objectives on a strictly accounting the gains spreadsheet to victory) but which still gets you a little bit of what you wanted and is as interesting, as dramatic, as fun (or even moreso.)

That is where that whole not-at-all-binary "how 5e defines ability checks" thing kicks in. "Some progress with setback" goes a long long way as far as having consequences for failure but still bringing "a result we like and enjoy as players and a group" to the table - even if the character does not.

I think it was a blog post on this board today where it was observed a lot of story comes from failures - context was failed tries - unexpected outcomes etc.

"Oh crap, plan b, plan b, plan b. what the heck is plan b?"

;-)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And, no one, as in not a single person in this thread, has ever said "use dice as a last resort.”
Actually, while I haven’t used those exact words, I also don’t think “only use dice as a last resort” is an unfair presentation of how I run the game. It is literally the last step in my mental process when resolving an action. I don’t have a particular preference for rolling or not rolling, but I do only call for a roll when the outcome can’t be determined with out a roll, so strictly speaking it is my last resort.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Actually, while I haven’t used those exact words, I also don’t think “only use dice as a last resort” is an unfair presentation of how I run the game. It is literally the last step in my mental process when resolving an action. I don’t have a particular preference for rolling or not rolling, but I do only call for a roll when the outcome can’t be determined with out a roll, so strictly speaking it is my last resort.
Heh. I see the pedantic humor there, but I can't possibly see how such a careful distinction won't be badly misunderstood given how the obvious bits keep being missed. In other words, stop helping! ;)

ETA: in case I failed to convey it this was meant as humor

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
From the perspective of a player in D&D 5e, what are some reasons you might want to roll the dice, assuming success for your character is one of your goals? Outside of a fondness for gambling or liking the sound the dice make when they clatter across the table (and inevitably onto the floor), I mean.

"Use the options chosen during character creation and advancement" is one that is frequently offered, but as has been shown, that's going to happen without asking to roll (sometimes when you desperately don't want to), provided you're the sort of player who is portraying a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils in a world of sword and sorcery.

So what other reasons might there be?

Yardiff

Adventurer
For me, the answer is it depends.

In a quiet room, with no pressure neither of those would require a check. They'd both work automatically, even if the character wasn't proficient with alchemy/poisoner kit.*

If there was a fight raging in the room, or some other chaos, they'd both require checks with advantage.

* One of the major assumptions in my hand is that the PCs are "omnicapable:" They are fairly skilled in all things that I'd call dungeon-stuff. This means that not having Proficiency (game term) in a skill or tool does not mean they aren't proficient (English word) in this sort of thing.

So the way the see it, I think, is that in your playstyle all 'classes' are sub-classes of the 'Adventurer Class' and the 'Adventurer Class' gives everyone a certain set of adventuring knowledge.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

From the perspective of a player in D&D 5e, what are some reasons you might want to roll the dice, assuming success for your character is one of your goals? Outside of a fondness for gambling or liking the sound the dice make when they clatter across the table (and inevitably onto the floor), I mean.

"Use the options chosen during character creation and advancement" is one that is frequently offered, but as has been shown, that's going to happen without asking to roll (sometimes when you desperately don't want to), provided you're the sort of player who is portraying a bold adventurer confronting deadly perils in a world of sword and sorcery.

To support this: I keep hearing the argument about “investing” in a skill or ability. But just because I don’t call for a roll doesn’t mean I don’t (gah 3 negatives in a row) take a character’s abilities, proficiencies, and concept/backstory into consideration.

For example, when I gave my sample dialog regarding the contact poison, nobody seemed to notice, or at least comment on, my inclusion of Poisoners Kit proficiency as a relevant factor. If you are making a straight Investigation check it’s not relevant at all. But as a DM I will factor that in when deciding if the outcome is uncertain.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
To support this: I keep hearing the argument about “investing” in a skill or ability. But just because I don’t call for a roll doesn’t mean I don’t (gah 3 negatives in a row) take a character’s abilities, proficiencies, and concept/backstory into consideration.

For example, when I gave my sample dialog regarding the contact poison, nobody seemed to notice, or at least comment on, my inclusion of Poisoners Kit proficiency as a relevant factor. If you are making a straight Investigation check it’s not relevant at all. But as a DM I will factor that in when deciding if the outcome is uncertain.

For what it's worth, spotting a poisoned object, when the task's outcome is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence of failure, is a DC 10 ability check with Poisoner's Tools, according to Xanathar's (if a group uses that book). Presumably that's Wisdom-based in most cases since the task is related to noticing things about the environment. My read on Investigation is that its main purpose is deduction based on available clues, not searching for hidden clues. Hidden objects are Perception, unless you have available clues that can allow you to deduce the hidden object's location. The line regarding Investigation in the PHB is not well-written in my view and a lot of people stop after seeing "...searching for clues..." and think Investigation is like Search from 3.Xe. Taking the sentence as a whole and in the context of Perception and on the section on hidden objects all together clears it up a bit.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're going for, but I have an answer here:

When the dice are fairer than the DM.

As in, the DM asks for specifics on how you resolve a task, but always seems to "gochya" on those specifics. Yet when simply rolling, he let's the dice fall where they may.

I encountered this exact situation last Gen Con. Most of the games were great, but there was one, where the DM would ask for specifics on task resolution "describe how you check the door," "how do you inspect the staff lodged in the stone," etc. And when given anything would play gotcha (clearly he had specific solutions, but since we couldn't read his mind we never seemed to get them)
. I (and everyone else) resorted to just asking for checks. He allowed it, Things went much smoother.

So there you go.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases