If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

Oofta

Legend
Placing “trap here” signs is another thing I don’t think many, if any of us, do. There is a world of difference between telegraphing traps and outright telling the players there’s a trap here. I understand it’s hard to picture when you haven’t seen these techniques in actual play. There are actual plays where the DMs use this technique you could watch/read/listen to if you’re curious. I’m pretty sure Iserith has done a few. But with or without an actual play examples, it helps of you start from the assumption that a technique you’re unfamiliar with does work, and endeavor tio understand how, instead of starting from the assumption that a technique is nonsense and demanding that its proponents prove to you that it doesn’t ruin the game.

Different people play different ways. Did I ever say your style of play was "ridiculous"? I don't know how to say this that it doesn't sound like an apology that's not really an apology, but all I've done for quite some time now is state how I run my game. So ... sorry if my minor fits of sarcasm bother you but I don't see much of a difference between telegraphing where traps are to the point that nobody is surprised by them is any different than putting a "trap here" sign. I don't see how players could know all possible outcomes of failure unless you tell them things the PCs wouldn't know.

If it's not obvious by now, I take quite a different approach to my D&D games. As stated up-thread I view D&D as a simplified simulator for letting people imagine what it would be like to be the protagonist of a fantasy story. So simulator first, game second.

As far as iserith, he blocked me a long time ago because of this topic. I think it bothered him that I didn't just agree with him ... but he wouldn't ever say exactly what it was that bothered him other then "don't do that". When I asked what "that" was he blocked me.

P.S. It doesn't really help to say that "if you just played it like we did you'd agree with us". Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I don't understand you.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Different people play different ways. Did I ever say your style of play was "ridiculous"?
Yeah, I realized that phrasing was a bit unfair, and I changed it to be a bit less hyperbolic in an edit, sorry for that original wording.

I don't know how to say this that it doesn't sound like an apology that's not really an apology, but all I've done for quite some time now is state how I run my game.
I mean, saying it seems like people place “trap here” signs is definitely not just stating how you run your game.

So ... sorry if my minor fits of sarcasm bother you but I don't see much of a difference between telegraphing where traps are to the point that nobody is surprised by them is any different than putting a "trap here" sign. I don't see how players could know all possible outcomes of failure unless you tell them things the PCs wouldn't know.
Right, so start from the assumption that the technique does work. That would mean sufficient telegraphing of traps =/= nobody is surprised by them and telling players possible consequences for failure before they roll =/= the plauers kmow all possible outcomes for failure. Both of those statements are accurate, to my games at least. You would have less trouble understanding this style if you started from the baseline assumption that it does work.

If it's not obvious by now, I take quite a different approach to my D&D games. As stated up-thread I view D&D as a simplified simulator for letting people imagine what it would be like to be the protagonist of a fantasy story. So simulator first, game second.
Which is a perfectly valid and fun way to play the game, I’ve got no beef with that, even if I prefer to emphasize the game part a bit more in my own games.

P.S. It doesn't really help to say that "if you just played it like we did you'd agree with us". Just because I disagree with you, doesn't mean I don't understand you.
I have never said that, and I don’t believe it. In fact, given what I’ve read from you, I’m pretty sure if you tried my waybof running things, you wouldn’t find it to your liking. I think you would probably dislike it less than you think you would, but I still don’t think you’d really like it. I’m not saying I don’t think you understand it because you don’t think you’d like it, I’m saying I don’t think you understand it because the techniques you keep attributing to an unspecified “some people in this thread” do not accurately reflect the techniques that most of us in this thread actually use.

G

Guest 6801328

Yes, I (generally) tell players the consequences of a failed roll. Like Satyrn, and as I've said several times, I try to leave it in general terms. For example, I'll tell them they will land in the pit. I won't tell them it's an illusory pit, or the liquid is (or isn't) acid, etc.

But somehow that nuance keeps getting overlooked, and the approach repeatedly gets caricatured* as telling the players everything. Of 'coddling' them. Of putting up 'trap here' signs. Etc.

*As does pretty much everything in threads like these.

Here's a question: what's coddling players more, telegraphing the nature of the consequence of a failure, or not even having failures trigger meaningful consequences? Talk about irony!

Hussar

Legend
Who's having failures not trigger meaningful consequences? The chandelier did fall, the character did believe the lie. Is anyone arguing for a lack of meaningful consequences for failure?

Charlaquin said:
That would mean sufficient telegraphing of traps =/= nobody is surprised by them and telling players possible consequences for failure before they roll =/= the plauers kmow all possible outcomes for failure. Both of those statements are accurate, to my games at least

The problem, I think, that folks are having here is how you can both telegraph a trap AND surprise a player with that trap. Or, and this is my bigger issue, if you tell a possible consequence of failure to the player and then go with a totally different consequence, don't your players get annoyed?

I mean, if I'm swinging on that chandelier (why is this always an example? In 30+ years of gaming I've NEVER seen a player try this) and you tell me that I'll miss the jump if I fail my check and then have the chandelier break, don't your players react pretty negatively?

I've been repeatedly told that allowing my players to roll first will result in the players being angry for things like "Well, I didn't SAY I was doing that". I avoid that by being pretty clear up front that actions are resolved AFTER the roll, which means that the DM gets a smidgeon of control over the character from time to time. Making that roll indicates that you are okay with that.

But, if you tell me X is going to happen if I fail and then Y happens, how is that not a bait and switch? "I wouldn't have done that if I thought that THAT could happen."

5ekyu

Hero
Yes, I (generally) tell players the consequences of a failed roll. Like Satyrn, and as I've said several times, I try to leave it in general terms. For example, I'll tell them they will land in the pit. I won't tell them it's an illusory pit, or the liquid is (or isn't) acid, etc.

But somehow that nuance keeps getting overlooked, and the approach repeatedly gets caricatured* as telling the players everything. Of 'coddling' them. Of putting up 'trap here' signs. Etc.

*As does pretty much everything in threads like these.

Here's a question: what's coddling players more, telegraphing the nature of the consequence of a failure, or not even having failures trigger meaningful consequences? Talk about irony!
"Here's a question: what's coddling players more, telegraphing the nature of the consequence of a failure, or not even having failures trigger meaningful consequences? Talk about irony!"

If a check is being made, it's being made to reflect an action - an attempt to do something. Even if its only "you didn't get it" that is a consequence. How meaningful the consequence is or will be is a matter of context, regardless of the degree to which it is played thru in game orvthru meta-game negotiations.

"You take 3d6 poison damage from needle trap" may be very meaningful for a 1st level group still in a dungeon or other risky situation. But for a 5th level party relaxing in their inn before a night's rest, it's likely far from meaningful - trivial. But since the party has not ben told in advance that is the case, a check is made anyway.

It's when the context is removed that you get into whacky misperceptions.

Oofta

Legend
There have been long, long discussions about how players shouldn't be surprised by traps. That they should be broadcast. That if someone can describe what their doing there's no need to roll a D20. That if people don't know what the possible outcome of a failure is how can they possibly make a decision.

How did I get that impression? Well it could be from postings like...
I would think it's unfair to the players to let them think that a failure means falling into the pit, but then when they fail you spring some other surprise consequence on them.
and
Well, I’ll give you guys credit for consistency: if the players don’t know what the risk:reward profile looks like, nobody can say it’s ‘challenging the players not the characters.’ Hard to be challenged when you have no idea what’s going on.
or
Telling the players the outcome can make the experience more rewarding, because failure is always the result of a calculated risk the player knowingly accepted.

And so on. If there was clarification of that, then I missed it or misunderstood. My bad.

But I've said it before and I'll say it again. I get a bit sarcastic now and then. On the other hand I've never insisted that anyone prove anything. I don't think anyone on this thread plays "gotcha" DMing despite the assertions to the contrary. I have asked for clarification now and then. I've said that I don't run my game the same way. I don't see why people are so insistent on players not calling for skill checks. But I've never told anyone that if they just played the game my way they'd see how much better it works. I don't appeal to authority by quoting the rules while sometimes leaving out important clarifying clauses.

If I'm being insulting or rude, or otherwise violating the rules report me. Barring that, I'm entitled to my opinion which may include not thinking a different way of running the game is any better, and in fact based on my understanding it would be less enjoyable for me.

pemerton

Legend
In my own case, the logic of the illusory pit would typically be the reverse of what some have presented in this thread: that is, it's not that discovering the pit is merely an illusion would alert the players to the possible presence of illusions in the neighbourhood; rather, because the logic and trajectory of play have made illusions salient, then an illusion may be introduced into the fiction as a particular consequence of a particular failed check.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Who's having failures not trigger meaningful consequences? The chandelier did fall, the character did believe the lie. Is anyone arguing for a lack of meaningful consequences for failure?
Chaosmancer seems very opposed to failure *always* having meaningful consequences, and IIRC, a few people have voiced agreement with that. I very much doubt anyone is opposed to failure *ever* having meaningful consenquences. Certainly no one here has given that impression.

The problem, I think, that folks are having here is how you can both telegraph a trap AND surprise a player with that trap.
By using telegraphs that are subtle enough that a player has to be paying attention to notice it. Think of it like Dark Souls. Part of the notorious difficulty of dark souls is ambushes and traps that get you when you're least expecting it. But these traps and ambushes are always telegraphed. If you are paying careful attention to your environment, you can pick up on the clues and avoid places you know are likely to be trapped. If you're rushing, you're likely to get nailed by them. This is why it is often said that Dark Souls is difficult, but fair. This is something I strive to emulate in my D&D games.

One effective way to do this is to have an observable pattern to the traps within a particular dungeon. Maybe in an old dwarven ruin, there are many statues of ancient dwarf heroes that flank various doorways and passages, some of which (but not all of which) mark traps; anyone who walks in-between the statues triggers spears that shoot up from the floor and skewer them. Early in the dungeon, you put a skeleton between a set of statues, with puncture marks in its armor. Now, it's very unlikely that the players will be surprised by this specific trap, if they have an ounce of genre savvy. That's not the point of this trap. This trap is a "teach." Now the players have enough information to know that in this dungeon, they should be cautious of statues flanking doorways, if they're paying attention. The next time they come to a doorway flanked by statues, they might remember the previous time, and they might investigate to look for holes the spears might come out from, or a pressure plate that might trigger the spears, or a secret passageway around the trap. Or, they might not have picked up on the pattern yet, and they might just get nailed by some spears. Either way, they're definitely going to be cautious the next time they see such statues. So, maybe next time, the statues have been largely destroyed. There's still a bit of the stone pedestal the statues sat on, but no statues. Again, players who have picked up on the pattern might realize that this is part of it if they realize these pedestals are the bases of destroyed statues, but then again they might be surprised by the trap if they miss that detail. And, you'll want some sets of statues that don't trigger such traps. They're just ordinary statues, flanking doors and passageways. If the players are paying attention, they're sure to be cautious, but when they can't find anything and nothing happens when they walk between them, this is going to get them thinking about what marks the difference between the trapped statues and the safe ones. And there should be a difference they can pick up on, if they're specifically looking for it. Maybe the trapped statues all depict dwarves from a particular clan of dwarves, and you need Proficiency in History (or Stonecunning) to recognize it. Then the broken statues are going to be real head scratchers.

Or, and this is my bigger issue, if you tell a possible consequence of failure to the player and then go with a totally different consequence, don't your players get annoyed?

I mean, if I'm swinging on that chandelier (why is this always an example? In 30+ years of gaming I've NEVER seen a player try this) and you tell me that I'll miss the jump if I fail my check and then have the chandelier break, don't your players react pretty negatively?
I imagine they would, which is why I wouldn't do that.

I've been repeatedly told that allowing my players to roll first will result in the players being angry for things like "Well, I didn't SAY I was doing that". I avoid that by being pretty clear up front that actions are resolved AFTER the roll, which means that the DM gets a smidgeon of control over the character from time to time. Making that roll indicates that you are okay with that.
Which is perfectly valid and fun way to do things. No judgment here, if that's what you and your players prefer, by all means, enjoy!

But, if you tell me X is going to happen if I fail and then Y happens, how is that not a bait and switch? "I wouldn't have done that if I thought that THAT could happen."
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that anyone is doing this. You don't tell the players one thing will happen and then have another thing happen. You tell the players what it is reasonable for them to know will happen. Again with the illusory pit example, "if you fail, you'll fall in" doesn't give away that it's an illusion, doesn't mislead the players into thinking one thing will happen when really another will, and gives the players enough information to make a good decision about how to proceed. You don't have to tell them that they'll take 10d6 damage when they fall, just telling them they'll fall is fine. You don't have to tell them the magic sigil will explode if they mess up deactivating it, just telling them the volatile magical energies will be released unsafely is fine. You don't have to tell the players there's an unaware ogre on the other side of the door that will hear them and have enough time to prepare for them if they fail to break down the door in one go, just telling them that the noise will alert nearby creatures to their presence is fine. The idea that the only options are "tell the players information their characters couldn't know" or "don't tell the players the consequences of a failed roll" is a false dichotomy.

G

Guest 6801328

Who's having failures not trigger meaningful consequences?

Some argue that meaningful consequences are not a necessary condition of dice rolls, and/or they argue that unchanged conditions (E.g. "They still don't know if there's a trap") count as consequences.

Coddlers. The lot of 'em.

G

Guest 6801328

And let's talk about traps that aren't telegraphed for moment, and see if we can figure out what exactly the gameplay for this is supposed to look like.

Option 1: Every 5' Square
The players are just supposed to all make Investigation and Perception checks every 5', and hope that somebody in the party rolls high enough. I'm not saying this is how it must be played; just trying to cover all bases here. Can we all agree this one is not a desirable outcome?

Analysis: didn't we stop playing this way in about 1980?

Option 2: Passive Perception
If anybody's passive score is high enough, the trap is discovered, otherwise it's not, with no decision-making by the player. This might be what some refer to as "challenging the character" (or "challenging the build", as it were.)

Analysis: In addressing @iserith's trapped hallway, @Hussar claims that once the Perception check succeeds no further explanation/input by the player is required; the DM can infer that a trap of which the party is aware is also successfully avoided. So it would seem that the players don't actually need to do anything here: if their passive Perception is high enough, nothing else happens. Otherwise the trap is triggered (presumably with some narration by the DM: "It's a poison arrow trap, you take X piercing and Y poison damage.")

Instead of actually doing all this work behind the DM screen during play, it might be more expedient to add up the average damage of all the traps, multiply by the odds of the trap being triggered, divide by the number of people in the party, and just have everybody reduce their hp by that number. You could speed things up even more by not reducing damage and instead having everybody check off the spell slots and HD necessary to negate all that damage.

Option 3: Clues
There's some clue that challenges players...oops, I mean, alerts players...to make a Perception check in this particular spot. Umm....

Analysis: Oh, wait, a clue is like a "telegraph" and we're not supposed to be discussing "trap here" scenarios.

Option 4: Known Locations
This one is sort of a hybrid of 1 and 3: players aren't expected to make checks in every square, just the ones that canonically "May Contain Trap". So the trap isn't telegraphed, per se, but savvy players (damn, there's that "challenge the player" thing rearing its ugly head again) know which locations to check: chests, closed doors, huge gems sitting on top of altars, etc. So it's a combination of "always check" and "but only in certain locations".

Analysis: While somewhat more efficient than "check every square" it also hobbles the DM, who now can't put traps in other places without risking annoying the players and/or teaching them to start searching every 5' square.

So which is it? Those of you who deride telegraphing traps, what does it look like at your table?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases