Level Up (A5E) If Eberron was converted to A5e, would the Dragonmarks be heritage specific gifts?

In O5e, those races with a specific Dragonmark within the Eberron setting were written up as a subrace. In A5e, would the Dragonmarks be seen as heritage specific gifts?

I would think so, since they are tied to specific extended family groups. Somewhat of an exception would be the marks associated with half-elves and half-orcs, taking the mark would make the character mixed-heritage, the player would just pick the base heritage that the character most favors.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
I would think so, since they are tied to specific extended family groups. Somewhat of an exception would be the marks associated with half-elves and half-orcs, taking the mark would make the character mixed-heritage, the player would just pick the base heritage that the character most favors.
Strong agree. And, someone on the fan discord has done a really great job of doing that conversion.

I'm a huge fan of Eberron, and this exact question has been on my mind a lot. But, the only legal way to make that conversion would be through a fan creation. The DMs Guild license is incompatible with any OGL license/content.

Strong agree. And, someone on the fan discord has done a really great job of doing that conversion.

I'm a huge fan of Eberron, and this exact question has been on my mind a lot. But, the only legal way to make that conversion would be through a fan creation. The DMs Guild license is incompatible with any OGL license/content.
I don't suppose you have a link on that person's work on the Dragonmarked GIfts? curious Yeah. The RPG company's loss. ;) I have seen a number of well-thought out homebrews for stuff in O5e. Mostly on GM Binder.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I had written them up, but for the life of me I can't find the document again.

But yeah, I did them as heritage gifts. Basically an expertise die, stackable up to a d10 (a la the trapsmith rogue), and then the spells.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Eberron used the Dragonmarks as a world building tool to ensure the 3e PHB races would have their dominance in the face of new, cool races like Kalashtar, Warforged, and Shifters, who most people would consider to be considerably "cooler" than the established ones (Warforged had strong immunities and unique customization options, and Shifters had lots of different ways they could be built over time). Eberron is, by definition, a 'gonzo' setting.

Not only does just about everything fit there, but it takes the lid of the stoic, Tolkien-descended fantasy world with lightning trains, elemental powered skyships, regular humanoids being able to have magical powers beyond spellcasting, and players eventually being allowed to become weretigers, giant robots, or reality warpers as a matter of course. Magic was plentiful and anyone could benefit from magical labor saving devices.

But at the same time, only a few people ever reached the heights of power beyond 8th level, ensure the player characters were almost guaranteed to eventually be at the center of the world, ranking among it's movers and shakers (as compared to Krynn, where the Gods kick you out at a certain level, or the Forgotten Realms, where you can't throw a rock without hitting an epic-level spellcaster).

VenerableBede

Adventurer
It seems everyone has already agreed on making Dragonmarks a Gift feature! I guess I'll be first voice to suggest another direction, then.
Yes, Dragonmarks are associated with certain houses and bloodlines—some of them anyway. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but someone doesn't have to be a blood member of a certain family (not in all instances, anyway) to have a Dragonmark, yes? People with specific Dragonmarks are expected to know certain people, be trained in certain things, etc. There's as much culture as genetics (if not more) involved in Dragonmarks, so I definitely imagined it fitting at least as well as a character's Culture.

A while back I remember reading an Eberron novel where one of the characters had a Dragonmark, but wasn't a member of a Dragonmarked House. There was some speculation that their Dragonmarked parent had a relationship outside of their House. This would mean that the marks are genetic in nature, and therefore would be a Gift tied to a specific heritage. The Dragonmarked Houses would be a Culture within the setting. Hmm...would there be one Dragonmarked Culture or could there be one for each House?

Remove ads