• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If I buy WotC's Complete books...

Kirowan

First Post
is there any reason for me to pick up the splats? I've heard good things about Complete Warrior and would much prefer having my character options in full-color hardcover books with updated 3.5 stats. Will I miss that much if I don't pick up the splats as well?

Thanks,

Nick

johnsemlak

First Post
I'ts difficult to say because the remaining Complete books haven't come out yet, but I'd say 'no'

It's important to realize the Complete Warrior wasn't just a 3.5 update of Sword and Fist. Sword and Fist updated material is showing up in a number of places, such as teh Complete Warrior, plus in some other WotC hardcovers (especially the 3.5 core books). The Complete Warrior also contianed stuff from the other splattbooks.

I'd say that if you buy all or most of WotC's books from 3.5 on, including the entire 'Complete' series, you'll have no need for the old splattbooks.

Last edited:

DM_Matt

First Post
johnsemlak said:
I'ts difficult to say because the remaining Complete books haven't come out yet, but I'd say 'no'

It's important to realize the Complete Warrior wasn't just a 3.5 update of Sword and Fist. Sword and Fist updated material is showing up in a number of places, such as teh Complete Warrior, plus in some other WotC hardcovers (especially the 3.5 core books). The Complete Warrior also contianed stuff from the other splattbooks.

I'd say that if you buy all or most of WotC's books from 3.5 on, including the entire 'Complete' series, you'll have no need for the old splattbooks.

Besides, a lot of what won't be reprinted will not be reprinted for good reasons....

Felon

First Post
The splats are dead. Long live the completes!

The Complete Warrior is a fine book with lots of great material, even aside from the nifty prestige classes that dominate most of the pages. OK, the new base classes seem a bit on the lame and weak side, but the new tactical feats, weapon styles, exotic weapons, mass combat options, and section on running a mercenary group have all been fully deployed in my campaign.

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Just out of curiosity, have any other Complete books been officially announced besides Complete Divine? Will we be seeing Complete Arcane and Complete Rogue?

Flyspeck23

First Post
Kirowan said:
I've heard good things about Complete Warrior and would much prefer having my character options in full-color hardcover books with updated 3.5 stats.
4 color HC books are all the rave now, aren't they? But indeed, that's a reason to wait for all the "Complete" books ;)

Kirowan said:
Will I miss that much if I don't pick up the splats as well?
Not much. All the splat books vary greatly in quality, even within the same book. The more "esoterical" parts were much to my enjoyment, but some PrCs and feats were awfully off.
Conclusion: if you can get them for a huge discount, take them - some parts make a good read (at least). But don't expect to actually use them that much in your game.

DM_Matt said:
Besides, a lot of what won't be reprinted will not be reprinted for good reasons....
What he said ;)

Dogbrain

First Post
Flyspeck23 said:
Not much. All the splat books vary greatly in quality, even within the same book. The more "esoterical" parts were much to my enjoyment, but some PrCs and feats were awfully off.

That's my assessment of the splat books. The problem is that the density of good idea to dross was too low for my taste. I'll not buy a book for what amounts to four pages of stuff that I'll use. Doesn't mean the books are bad--just that I'm not the target audience.

Felon

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Just out of curiosity, have any other Complete books been officially announced besides Complete Divine? Will we be seeing Complete Arcane and Complete Rogue?

Personally, I hope they don't do a Complete Rogue, but rather a Complete Savant or Complete Explorer. In other words, a book that focuses on using skills--all skills, not just those related to stealth and thievery--more effectively. I'd like to see some new base classes like Sage or Alchemist. And maybe some articles that focus on oft-neglected skills, like Use Rope.

Remove ads