• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If I buy WotC's Complete books...

Kirowan

First Post
These were the responses my wallet and I were looking for. I also like that the Complete books are not focused on what class a character is, but on what they like to focus on.

Nick

diaglo

Adventurer
Dark Jezter said:
Will we be seeing Complete Arcane and Complete Rogue?

purely speculation right now.

Complete Divine, Unearthed Arcana, Races of Stone, Map Folio I and II, Expanded Psi Handbook, Planar Handbook, Player's Guide to Faerun...those are all slated.

plus D&D dice 30th anniversary set...and Character sheets.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Kirowan said:
is there any reason for me to pick up the splats? I've heard good things about Complete Warrior and would much prefer having my character options in full-color hardcover books with updated 3.5 stats. Will I miss that much if I don't pick up the splats as well?

It's hard to say, not knowing what:
1) You/your group's tastes are.
2) Not seeing anything but the first Complete

That said:

CW was greeted in our group with a stifled yawn, and the more specifically targeted nature has kept them in use even after 3.5 & CW. However, I do thing some things in CW were an improvement over previously existing versions, while others I am not so hot on.

WizarDru

Adventurer
My group was quite happy with Complete Warrior, and I hope that it's a template for future books from this point. The original class books were fine for their time, back when 3e was new, but each one suffers from various problems, and only two are reasonably balanced (and only one is actually interesting to read). It sometimes took months or more to identify the problems within them, but CW cherry-picks some of the best material from them. Presumably, the other books will do the same. I see the Complete series as more of a 'lessons learned' version of the class books.

One a completely unrelated note: Alan, where's the link to your rogue gallery for your Drow game? I was looking for it the other day, and couldn't find it.

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Me my group have been pleasently surprised by the Complete Warrior. I hope that the other complete books are as good or better. The Splat Books were only okay at best, and oftentimes they were essentially useless.

If I had to do it all over again, I don't think I would buy any of the splat books, but I have haven't regretted the Complete Warrior one bit.

Trainz

Explorer
I love the Complete Warrior, and can't wait to get other "Complete" books.

Funny thing, I never bought any of the splat books. I am so glad I didn't now !

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I like the Complete Warrior a lot more than the 3.0 splats. I was struck however by the sheer number of prestige classes in the book that required a lawful alignment. Bizarre. My Dragonlance campaign has a greatsword-wielding armored fighter, and there isn't much in there prestige-wise for her.

Cheers,
Cam

Trainz

Explorer
I agree Cam. CW tends to lean towards two-weapon weilders.

That said, there are a few features in there that a two-hander can use.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
On these (and other) boards, I have been quite outspoken on the parts of Complete Warrior that I did not like. However, the rest of the book is good enough that I am hoping to purchase a copy just as soon as I can afford one.

What I do like in the Complete Warrior-- the tactical feats, quite a number of the Prestige Classes, and the fluff on running gladiatorial and mercenary campaigns-- is golden. If the other Complete books are of this caliber, I'll be quite happy to purchase them.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
CW is great, but there are several things in there that are confusing, misleading, or just plain contradictory. I swear, they should throw every new rule book to the sharks in the rules forum for an hour and let them nitpick the hell out of it before it's released.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads