D&D 5E If WotC asked us which setting we wanted next what would you choose?

What setting option would you choose?

• Al-Qadim

Votes: 29 13.9%
  • Birthright

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Council of Wyrms

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Ghostwalk

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 42 20.2%
  • Hollow World

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Jakandor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Kara-Tur

Votes: 14 6.7%
  • Mahasarpa

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Masque of the Red Death

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Maztica

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mystara [Known World]

Votes: 20 9.6%
  • Nentir Vale

Votes: 41 19.7%
  • Planescape

Votes: 37 17.8%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Red Steel [Savage Coast]

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 36 17.3%
  • Tale of the Comet

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Thunder Rift

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Urban Arcana

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • Another RPG setting not mentioned

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • A licensed mass media setting

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • A new setting designed for 4e

Votes: 86 41.3%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 1 0.5%

Shemeska

Adventurer
I'm surprised Planescape isn't leading this poll by a country mile, though o_O; It's definitely what the rest of my group would have voted for.

There's a difference between just having a planar campaign setting and doing the Planescape setting. I don't think it's possible for 4e to do the latter unless they're willing to create a setting that breaks from core 4e tropes and doesn't force 4e core flavor and concepts into the setting.

Planescape tied to 4e/PoL would lack the full alignment spread which was one of the major defining focuses it had, it would lack half of the iconic planar races, there would be no Blood War which was the setting's major driving conflict, and there would be no Great Wheel cosmology, etc etc etc. It would end up as the 4e planes with some Planescape elements thrown in, but it wouldn't be the same setting unless WotC was willing to change 4e elements to accomodate the setting rather than change the setting in massive ways to accomodate 4e.

That's why I didn't vote for Planescape on the poll. I voted for a unique setting. Be creative, show their material for what it is and frankly that would be served by making something new rather than remolding older settings which came out of a very different game than 4e.

In defense of Eberron, it was pretty damn unique when it was released; the problem has been the degrees of "Eberronization" of FR, Dark Sun, and "default setting" since then.

I voted for Nentir Vale, because its basically becoming a setting on its own already, and I already eat up everything about it. I also voted for a new setting for 4E, because I think we could use it.

I didn't vote for Planescape. I used to think that setting sounded pretty cool until I did some research and realized that the entire premise was the stuff that I DIDN'T like about D&D. That's just my honest opinion.

teitan

Legend
Maybe not let professional game designers who already work for the company compete in this one (yes i'm still sore over that)

You sure you aren't confusing Keith with Rich Baker? Keith most definitely wasn't working with WOTC when he submitted the Eberron idea and even then it was all blind, they didn't know who wrote what...

teitan

Legend
I voted Greyhawk, Ravenloft (I was looking forward to the new game but for different reasons... think Castlevania) and Planescape. I'd really like to see Star*Drive released as a game in it's own right with some support like a starships book and a book on the planetary system etc. THAT would be awesome!

Remove ads