• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you could be only one level...which would it be?

If you could only be one level in a campaign, which level would you want to be?

• First

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Second

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Third

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Fourth

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Fifth

• Sixth

Votes: 24 8.1%
  • Seventh

Votes: 38 12.9%
  • Eighth

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Ninth

Votes: 39 13.2%
  • Tenth

Votes: 17 5.8%
  • Eleventh

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Twelfth

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Thirteenth

• Fourteenth

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Fifteenth

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Sixteenth

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Seventeenth

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Eightteenth

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Nineteenth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twentieth

Votes: 45 15.3%

RFisher

Explorer
If you were going to play in a D&D campaign in which all the characters would be only one level for the duration of the campaign, which level would you want?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Melan

Explorer
Fifth. Fireball-fly-dispel magic for magic-users, multiple hold persons for the cleric, enough hp for a fighter and thief abilities also become respectable.

HugeOgre

First Post
I agreed with joshuakanton, but added a level because 13s an unlucky number. lol. My FIRST reaction though was to say 9th, for the same reason RangerWickett suggested.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
I'm tempted to say 9th, for the same reason.
Ditto. On 9th, you're still away from most of the high-level magic, your non-caster classes still shine, and casters have enough spells to prevent the annoying "I've run out of spells - we'll rest!" stop-and-go.
With one (or two with maxed out Int) 5th-level spells, preparing Teleport will massively hobble your casting... and people get access to one of the most interesting spells - Telekinesis and additionally, 5th level spells allow clerics to Raise Dead occasionally... a godsend.

I.e. on that level the casters get a taste of "real power", but still do not outshine the lasting power and impact of the non-casting classes (and on 9th, everyone gets another feat, hence the fighting/rogue-ish archetype get into the region, where they've got enough feats to work out a character concept completely.

Furthermore, on 9th, it is possible that you've got one or two levels of a PrC, so you'll have "your" character, able to do everything he should be able to do.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Huh. I voted without checking the tally (as I generally do), and had no idea I was going with the majority - at this stage - by choosing 8th. Weird, because I was hardly expecting that. But cool.

This is a vote and response only related to D&D 3e, btw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads