• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If you had to cut two core races from your game....

If you had to cut two races from the game....

• Poll closed .

Bagpuss

Legend
Gnomes and Elves (which should get me half-elves as a freebie!).

Gnome just because they are a bad idea as a garden ornament but even worse as a PC race (unless they get a racial bonus to Profession (fisherman)).

Elves just because it would force some players to pick something different for a change.

Big Bucket

First Post
Gnomes and half-elves with half-orcs as a close runner up. They just really do nothing for me. None of my group has ever played a gnome or half-elf, and there have only been a few half-orcs here and there.

And Quartz I agree with you - my group is playing in Thieves World (human only) right now and even a few of them have said its nice to be human and have mostly human opposition.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
For me it was easy; Elf and by necessity, half-elf. Why, well it's my own prejudice coming out but I'm kind of sick of seeing the 'Eldar, Ancient, perfect at anything they do' race of superbeings. I do however like the drow :)

Ealli

First Post
Gnomes got cut because after handing out flavor to dwarves and halflings, there isn't much left for gnomes.

Elves got cut in part because I don't need a perfect race (or it would be the dragons), and in part because they were hunted to extinction because they come in so many delicious flavors.

Frida

First Post
Gnomes because I dont really see the point with them when you have halflings.
Dwarves because I would never feel the urge to play one.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Son_of_Thunder said:
For me it was easy; Elf and by necessity, half-elf. Why, well it's my own prejudice coming out but I'm kind of sick of seeing the 'Eldar, Ancient, perfect at anything they do' race of superbeings. I do however like the drow :)

Glad to see a fellow elf hater, I too despise the annoying creatures however I wouldn't eliminate them, just make it clear they were a worthless and pitiful race substandard to and reviled by all others. Even ones everyone else hated.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I voted Gnomes and Half-Orcs.

In my personal gaming history, there were only two reasons why people played Gnomes -- they either wanted to be or multi an Illusionist, or wanted to counter the group's infectious Drow fever with a hearty Svirfneblin. (To be fair, I actually like Svirfneblin much better than your 'standard' gnome). In my own campaign, Grippli have replaced the Gnome gniche.

Half-Orcs had the same stigma -- to play a Half-Orc meant that a player either wanted to be or multi an Assassin, or they wanted to juice up their UA Barbarian (assuming the Dragonlance Minotaur was unavailable; thanks to World of Warcraft's Tauren race, I now like Minotaurs much more than Half-Orcs).

Half-Elves used to be teh awesome in 2ed; having the widest range of multi-classing options was reason enough to play one despite their lack of ability mods. Heck, even Dragonlance gave the poor guys +2 to Dex. In its current incarnation, the Half-Elf is teh suck, and IMO is represented only because they are a "sacred cow" race (but the Minotaur isn't... har har har).

Kalanyr

Explorer
Half-Orc & Gnome.

Honourable Mention to the Half-Elf and Halfing who just managed to escape annihilation.

Really if you're going to remove the nod to Tolkien that Halflings were whats the point ? Is there someone out there who is desperate to play midgets with a penchant for thievery ?

Remove ads