D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Irlo

Hero
Not when you ready an action to move. Then you are only moving for those 6 seconds. No other action. No bonus action. No free action. No other things.
No, one can during one’s turn move, use a bonus action, interact with an object, AND ready a reaction to move again outside of that turn, all within the 6 seconds.

Lyxen

Great Old One
No, one can during one’s turn move, use a bonus action, interact with an object, AND ready a reaction to move again outside of that turn, all within the 6 seconds.

And the amusing thing is that it's not even called a "dash" (since that is an action that you can take on your turn, in a readied action, you simply "choose to move up to your speed in response to it [the trigger]"). :)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I think it comes down to something about a player trying to get extra utility out of their "escape button", and some DM's not liking that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You can. You've just used your move action, and nothing else in the round. Good job.
Excellent. That makes me correct about interrupting the teleport and strolling across the room for my ready action. Thanks for acknowledging that.
Now please explain why everyone in combat has to do the same, and in particular people using readied actions to try to get out of an area of effect.
Who cares. They are irrelevant to what I'm saying.
No, sorry, you are, once again, totally wrong. Readying an action does not remove your capability to take a move action on your turn.
What? I'm clearly talking about during the portion after the trigger happens. Tell me again what else I can do besides move? Can I attack? Can I do another action? Or can I do no action but move for those 6 seconds while the instantaneous teleport is waiting to happen?
Hence, your velocity when you move it at least TWICE your walking velocity.
Why are you assuming I moved first? You don't get to tell me what my PC does. My PC did not move before readying the action to move. All he did was stroll for 6 seconds and move 30 feet at a walking pace.
Not for long, and the same people also move with blinding speed when required. Posing is something else, but there is NOTHING telling then that they can't hustle around AND fight at the same time, and nothing preventing them from fighting even around bursts of speed.
This is a Red Herring. It's entirely irrelevant whether they pick up the pace in a different round or move fast another time.
Of course you can, nobody said otherwise, but this whole conversation was around you FORCING people to ONLY WALK with their speed in a a round, which is totally false, both for standard rounds AND readied actions.
If by whole conversation you mean none of it, you would be correct. I never once claimed to force people to only walk during a round.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I think it comes down to something about a player trying to get extra utility out of their "escape button", and some DM's not liking that.

That is a fair summary. The thing is that 5e is much more open and less restrictive than previous editions, much less prescriptive too. Some DMs, because they liked either the rulesets or the setting or previous editions, like to have fixed boundaries in particular about spells, not necessarily to rein in "enthusiastic:" players, but also so that their setting "makes sense" in their views of verisimilitude.

And that is absolutely fine, and usually in agreement with the rules as written, it's just that those are actually much more open and generous in terms of possibilities offered to players. Not only that, but there is also a general "benevolent" attitude towards players, as proposed by JC as the lead designers, which permeates not only the rules as they were written, but also their intent.

And again, it's absolutely fine to play more "old school" (I'm certainly not using that as a derogatory term at all), it's just that, contrary to the previous editions, the rules are not prescriptive in that direction.

And in the end, a lot of the debates in these forums are around this, because although 5e seems to borrow a lot from 3e (and some great ideas from 4e), it's really a very different beast both in its intent and the way it's been written.

And after that, no judgement, to each his own and all our tastes are valid ways to play, I completely understand people wanting a more "tightly-written" game for a lot of reason, it's just not what we have today, for the better or the worse (for me, it's definitely the better considering our style of play these days, but I would also definitely change to another system if I was to play with different groups or in a different style).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don’t think this is a very strong argument. By RAW, I can also stroll 30’ between the moment the villain pulls the lever and the moment the pit trap activates, so the problem is the Ready action, not the interpretation of the Thunderstep spell.
There are multiple discussions happening here. The first is the interpretation of Thunderstep. The second is whether you can interrupt an instantaneous effect and put it on hold for 6 seconds while you do something else, and then let it continue. The post you are responding to is about the latter.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Excellent. That makes me correct about interrupting the teleport and strolling across the room for my ready action. Thanks for acknowledging that.

Where in hell did you read that in my sentence ? If you choose to walk you walk. That's all. If you are rushing to avoid an AoE, you are definitely NOT walking, even with a simple move.

Who cares. They are irrelevant to what I'm saying.

"and in particular people using readied actions to try to get out of an area of effect" is irrelevant to what yoiu are saying ? That is very bizarre.

What? I'm clearly talking about during the portion after the trigger happens. Tell me again what else I can do besides move? Can I attack? Can I do another action? Or can I do no action but move for those 6 seconds while the instantaneous teleport is waiting to happen?

And, pray tell, which six seconds are we talking about ? Six seconds is an entire round, for all participants. Even if the character is waiting for the teleport to happen to rush away, he might already have made a full move 3 seconds away, and there might even be remaining time after the teleport happens and before it's his turn again.

So in HIS six seconds, he will have moved twice his speed, not even mentioning bonus and "free" actions. And in the six seconds of the caster, he will have already performed one move, and will actually be able to perform at least 2 more moves.

So whichever time frame you are considering, in six seconds, the character will have performed at least 2 if not 3 moves, plus other actions.

This, in turn, meaning that he will NOT have walked, since his velocity will have been at least two, and maybe 3 or more that of a walk.

Why are you assuming I moved first? You don't get to tell me what my PC does. My PC did not move before readying the action to move. All he did was stroll for 6 seconds and move 30 feet at a walking pace.

Again, if YOU choose to walk, it's your problem, but nothing in the rules, EVER, says that taking your move action is walking. And nothing precludes someone rushing 30 feet as a readied action, rather the contrary in fact, it's the exact essence of a readied action.

If by whole conversation you mean none of it, you would be correct. I never once claimed to force people to only walk during a round.

But you are, you are telling that, because a move is a walk, it's impossible to move fast during a readied action. You are basically forcing people who are moving to do it as a walking speed to try to backward justify the impossibility to move blindingly fast as a readied action.

Unfortunately, the rules support just that, moving 30 feet as a simple reaction in the middle of someone else's turn, whatever they are doing, and, as proven, a move in combat is not a walk, the velocity is at least twice that of a walk.

Remove ads