D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Redwizard007

Adventurer
That makes no sense. There's no requirement for you to pick the path in order to cross space. I don't pick the path of the airplanes I board, but I still cross space to the place I am landing.

Teleport also crosses space even though the caster doesn't pick the path. It just does so instantly and bypasses physical obstructions. In other words, it goes through another dimension to get you there.

And...............................I've said the same thing in like every post man. You cannot appear in the sphere, yes. What the sphere does not do per RAW is stop the teleport from beginning outside the sphere. It only prevents teleportation WITHIN THE SPHERE. So by RAW, the teleport goes off without a hitch from outside and then fails inside, leaving the caster in a limbo that the rules do not cover.

This is not written anywhere, but would be a ruling the DM could make.

The rules for the anti-magic sphere do not say teleportation fails. It says, teleportation fails WITHIN THE SPHERE. Only half of it fails, not all of it.

"This spell instantly transports you and up to eight willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range, or a single object that you can see within range, to a destination you select."

There. It transports you to a destination. There is no mention of not crossing intervening space and without such wording, it works like any other transportation other than you arrive instantly. YOU have to prove your claim of no intervening space, which isn't said anywhere.

What's more, Dimension Door is a teleport spell. Clearly from the name, teleportation goes through another dimension(plane). And, the Hallow spell says this.

"Extradimensional Interference. Affected creatures can't move or travel using teleportation or by extradimensional or interplanar means."

Clearly teleportation is travel through another dimension, or it wouldn't be placed in the Extradimensional Interference category. If travel happened with no intervening space, no other dimensions would be accessed and Hallow would not affect it.

And more. The School of Conjuration in the Wizard Class says this.

"As your mastery grows, you learn spells of transportation and can teleport yourself across vast distances, even to other planes of existence, in an instant."

Not travel instantly without crossing intervening space, but rather it explicitly says you teleport across the vast distances.

So again, you need to prove that all of what RAW says or implies is wrong and that your claim of no intervening space being crossed when you teleport is correct.

Per Mariam Webster:
2. In fiction : instantaneous travel between two locations without crossing the intervening space

I don't know if anyone pointed that out yet, but if an English Dictionary says it doesn't cross through a dimension and the spell doesn't specify that it crosses through another dimension, this becomes a hard sell.

That's not to say that some teleportation type spells don't do so. Just that it doesn't appear that this one does.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Per Mariam Webster:
2. In fiction : instantaneous travel between two locations without crossing the intervening space
Per 5e.

"As your mastery grows, you learn spells of transportation and can teleport yourself across vast distances."

Across vast distances, not "without crossing." ;)
I don't know if anyone pointed that out yet, but if an English Dictionary says it doesn't cross through a dimension and the spell doesn't specify that it crosses through another dimension, this becomes a hard sell.
Your definition doesn't exempt extradimensional space, either. Crossing through another dimension wouldn't cross space in the real world.

Irlo

Hero
One explanation. The magic guides the spell to the target. End of single explanation. It's less complex than having slow lightning or dealing with grounding, etc.
“Magic guiding the bolt” doesn’t explain how there is time for dexterity saving throw to affect the damage. Glass’ descriptor accounts for both the caster’s aim and the ability to dodge, without suggesting a non-instantaneous bolt. That’s why it appeals to me.

No slow lightning required.

Irlo

Hero
Per 5e.

"As your mastery grows, you learn spells of transportation and can teleport yourself across vast distances."

Your definition doesn't exempt extradimensional space, either. Crossing through another dimension wouldn't cross space in the real world.
I guess misty step isn’t teleportation after all. 30’ is hardly a vast distance. :)

Redwizard007

Adventurer
Per 5e.

"Across vast distances" doesn't indicate whether you move through an area or simply bypass it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
“Magic guiding the bolt” doesn’t explain how there is time for dexterity saving throw to affect the damage. Glass’ descriptor accounts for both the caster’s aim and the ability to dodge, without suggesting a non-instantaneous bolt. That’s why it appeals to me.
The dex save isn't to doge the bolt. It's to get out of the way of the point that is targeted before the bolt is released. It's like dodging a gun being fired at you. You aren't trying to dodge the bullet, but get out of the way of the aiming. Meanwhile the magic guides the bolt to the spot aimed at. Luckily lightning isn't magic missile and doesn't turn to follow those making their dex saves.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
"Across vast distances" doesn't indicate whether you move through an area or simply bypass it.
Bypassing it doesn't move you across anything, let alone a vast distance. I love how you bring up a dictionary definition for teleport, but are trying to say that "across" doesn't mean going across something. Try going across a bridge without crossing the space. Trying going across a desert without traveling across it somehow. 5e uses the common language meaning of things, so across does in fact mean crossing the space.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
The dex save isn't to doge the bolt. It's to get out of the way of the point that is targeted before the bolt is released. It's like dodging a gun being fired at you. You aren't trying to dodge the bullet, but get out of the way of the aiming. Meanwhile the magic guides the bolt to the spot aimed at. Luckily lightning isn't magic missile and doesn't turn to follow those making their dex saves.
That's an interesting explanation, but the problem is, how does anyone know that the arcane jabbering and pointing of the wizard is about to produce a bolt of lightning that they can get out of the way of?

Never no mind that they aren't actually able to move (hey, "Rogue Time" is back!) since they are unable to leave their squares.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases