D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

Irlo

Hero
By the way, I just find this in the DMG.

"DIMENSIONAL SHACKLES
Wondrous item, rare You can use an action to place these shackles on an incapacitated creature. The shackles adjust to fit a creature of Small to Large size. In addition to serving as mundane manacles, the shackles prevent a creature bound by them from using any method of extradimensional movement, including teleportation or travel to a different plane of existence."

Does this finally put it to rest? That ain't fluff.
I can find competing evidence that it's not dimensional. I know the Lyxen has done that already.

Here it is again:
Extradimensional Interference. Affected creatures can't move or travel using teleportation or by extradimensional or interplanar means.
The OR there strongly implies that teleportation is NOT extradimensional.

Not internally consistent. Not logically rigorous.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can find competing evidence that it's not dimensional. I know the Lyxen has done that already.

Here it is again:

The OR there strongly implies that teleportation is NOT extradimensional.

Not internally consistent. Not logically rigorous.
Um, no. That is not evidence that it's not. It's just not as crystal clear that it is as the rule that I found. At this point you're grasping at straws in order to be right, rather than arguing a position, so I'm out.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Ah here it is, Forbiddance. I don't discount the possibility that Dimensional Shackles is evidence of the rule, but the fact that Forbiddance is written this way is confusing to say the least- they could have much more succinctly saved themselves some word count here by saying "extradimensional travel such as teleport or plane shift".

Attachments

• Forbiddance.jpg
    Forbiddance.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 46

Irlo

Hero
Um, no. That is not evidence that it's not. It's just not as crystal clear that it is as the rule that I found. At this point you're grasping at straws in order to be right, rather than arguing a position, so I'm out.
I'm grasping at straws to prove that I'm right that there are contradicting indications and various interpretations of teleporting and that there is no one logically consistent, rules-supported interpretation? Okay, I guess it is time for both of us to move on.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ah here it is, Forbiddance. I don't discount the possibility that Dimensional Shackles is evidence of the rule, but the fact that Forbiddance is written this way is confusing to say the least- they could have much more succinctly saved themselves some word count here by saying "extradimensional travel such as teleport or plane shift".
Yeah. As I said when I was arguing from those rules, it seems that they are differentiating based on purpose rather than based on methodology. Teleport spells use dimensions to get from one place to another, but the purpose is not to travel to other dimensions, so they are just referred to by those spells as "or teleportation."

Irlo

Hero
I'm grasping at straws to prove that I'm right that there are contradicting indications and various interpretations of teleporting and that there is no one logically consistent, rules-supported interpretation? Okay, I guess it is time for both of us to move on.
I see that you're putting together more citations. I do believe you have the preponderance of evidence.

I only wish I'd seen it 15 pages ago! :)

Can we argue about the definition of "across" now?

Remove ads