D&D 5E If you use thunderstep but teleport less than 10 feet do you take damage?

ooshrooms

Villager
Wow. I "stumbled across" [hehehe] this a year later and am quite entertained.
I'm confused at how Maxperson was right that you can't use a reaction to avoid the thunder damage but for the wrong reason. The term "instantaneous" is D&D jargon with a specific meaning not to be replaced by dictionary definitions just like words like "attack." Mechanically, instantaneous duration simply means the spell acts then is gone even if its effects continue, so those effects can't be dispelled. It has nothing to do with how fast the magic actually happens. Look at acid splash. The caster conjures a bubble of acid and physically "hurls" it at a target which can make a DEX save. It's not like pointing a finger before a lightning quick spell effect [pun intended]. You're dodging an acid fastball mid flight or dodging the splatter off of the primary target if you're secondary. Predicting that splatter vector can't possibly be inferred from the body mechanics of the thrower. You're dodging based on real time movement of the acid in air. It's not "that kind of" instantaneous. Nothing in the rule books says that instantaneous spells can't effectively be countered by reactions. If someone wants to waste a high level spell, they could certainly ready telekinesis to grab any thrown weapons and send them back at the attacker, and it would work on acid splash. There's no mechanical reason or logical reason it couldn't.

HOWEVER, the text of thunder step DOES indicate you can't run from the thunder. Crawford et. al. use wording like "immediately after you disappear" to indicate that there's no time to stuff a reaction between two connected events, and they both must resolve before a reaction does. If you ready the action of fleeing to trigger on a character disappearing, then someone casts thunder step, when they disappear, your goose is already cooked, because you can't outrun thunder let alone out-crawl it. Thunder damage resolves before you could even make it 5ft. After that resolves, you can flee if you still want to use your reaction. This doesn't affect the topic question though. That revolves around the order of disappearing, reappearing and thunder and not any sort of external reaction.

What's even more baffling to me is how Maxperson recognizes that the best explanation for teleportation is going through another plane/dimension but doesn't see it as 2 steps of going from the prime material plane to another realm then returning [but to a different location]; while Lyxen said it doesn't go through another plane but is two steps. If you don't go through another plane, it could work like a wormhole that is one step. If it does, there's two directions of travel. Both seem to be arguing backwards to me.

Teleportation should be 2 steps because it's double inter-planar travel even if the time in another realm is exceedingly short. As I've already said, the term instantaneous does not mean that that reappearance and disappearance happen at the same time. The fact that it says that the thunder happens right after disappearance rather than right after teleportation supports this two-step interpretation. The order of events must be disappearance, origin of thunder clap, reappearance. Note that I said "origin" of thunder and not resolution.

Here's the twist that allows player/DM interpretation. Since nothing is truly instantaneous in the sense that it takes 0 time to complete, it's possible for the caster to take damage if traveling less than 10' depending on the speeds of the steps. If the thunder clap moves so fast that it passes by the target location before reappearance, there is no damage regardless of destination. If the teleportation happens so fast that reappearance happens before the sound waves pass by, they do damage the caster if (s)he targets within 10' of the origin. The official RAW as mentioned by someone early in the topic from Xanathar is that the caster clarifies and would presumably not take damage. It would be a very minor use of rule 0 for a DM to override that especially if they let it work on the fly and then change interpretation for future use. This shouldn't have been such a long argument. The inconsistency on both sides blew my mind and might be part of why it went so long.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
1. The Teleport spell mentions “instantly transports,” so there’s more then just an instantaneous duration to be discussed.
2. There’s a storm. I look out the window and see lightning, then hear thunder. The lightning was instantaneous, the thunder came quickly but after.
3. Thunder travels linearly. Teleportation instantaneously, from point A to B without going in between, instantly. Is there somewhere that mentions that teleportation is inter-planar? If not, then Occam’s Razor suggests a fold in space: the teleported is her, then there, with nothing between. If you like the idea of adding the teleported going through another plane, that’s fine but additive (unless I’ve missed mentioning of it being inter-planar), and not part of the spell. Any DM is welcome to add or change spells, but that doesn’t change the spell for general use.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
If a character uses the Ready action for Misty Step — triggered by a dragon’s breath, can it teleport into another dimension to avoid damage completely before the teleport ends?
The description of Ready for an action suggests that you could not. Readied actions are taken after the triggering event is finished.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
"When the dragon points it's head in my direction and opens it's mouth."
Please don't lol. I mean, I believe you are correct and this works as written, but I'm having flashbacks of trying to make this point quite a lot in this thread and failing to convince certain people.

Plus, at the same time, it's kind of bad design, since it rewards players who have the real life ability to be savvy about selecting triggers, so that they can effectively turn a reaction into an interrupt.

In 4e, lazy power writers did this all the time "oh I know it's not an interrupt, but it's a reaction to being targeted by an attack, so it kind of is" caused so many arguments.

Just put this genie right back into the bottle!

S'mon

Legend
If a character uses the Ready action for Misty Step — triggered by a dragon’s breath, can it teleport into another dimension to avoid damage completely before the teleport ends?

I'd rule that the PC was in the Feywild(?) for much less time than the duration of the breath attack, so no by me.

Remove ads