• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"I'm a [BLANK] kid!"

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
rescue rangers disney GIF

Huh. I was a Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, Big Blue Marble kid, but after that I was much more of that supposed 'Kids on Bikes' block than any kind of specific show or movie-kid.

It's not like I didn't see kids-formative movies like Star Wars and ET (and Starcrash, Flash Gordon, the Black Hole, Black Cauldron, Beastmaster, Excalibur, etc.). Same with shows like Muppets, Hanna-Barbera cartoons, re-run Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies, and early Nickelodeon (mostly Lassie and Monkees re-runs, and the new Mr. Wizard).

However, at that time people really worried about too much TV rotting your mind, and outside of Saturday morning, I think I was limited to an hour a day. Much of it ending up more family-friendly than kid-specific (Little House on the Prairie/MASH/The Wonderful World of Disney). There was only one TV in the house, after all (not counting the little B&W one in the garage dad watched the game on when he was working on the car).

First thought was: (Star Trek) Next Generation kid. I watched a couple of things as a teenager, but TNG was probably the most defining (it was THE thing I wanted to watch when I came home from school).

But I think I'm also a "Sendung mit der Maus" and "Löwenzahn" kid (for the non-Germans here: Löwenzahn , Die Sendung mit der Maus), a "Was ist was?" (English title is apparently How and Why) book kid, and a Lego kid (esp. pirates and the medieval stuff).

I'm old enough that I can't claim any of the vast amounts of great animation that arrived after my childhood, but Looney Toons, Jonny Quest and Thundarr were (and are) still awesome. Past 1981 I'd be stretching it to call myself a kid, but that didn't stop me from wishing a lot of stuff had showed up earlier when I could still binge-watch on Saturday mornings.

But honestly, I think Tom Swift Junior, Elric of Melnibone and Tarzan had more impact on me than all the television in the world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads