I'm beginning to dislike Netflix (re: Archive 81, 1899, Warrior Nun etc cancellations)

I wish shows could write for the story, not to fit some pre-set length. I have seen shows that should have been 6 episodes stretched out to 18 or more. And I have seen 10-episode seasons that needed more room to breathe and expand. I tell you, once I get that ring of wishes...
JMS planned out 5 years/seasons of B5* but he lost his notes for 5 and it became a jumble due to that and a quick uncancelled.

Along with having in-story reasons in case actors had to leave for whatever reason.

Haplo781

Legend
JMS planned out 5 years/seasons of B5* but he lost his notes for 5 and it became a jumble due to that and a quick uncancelled.

Along with having in-story reasons in case actors had to leave for whatever reason.
What actually happened is that he was told the show was ending with 4, scrambled to wrap everything up, and then the ratings were so good that the network ordered a fifth season and he had to stretch out a cut subplot into a full season.

What actually happened is that he was told the show was ending with 4, scrambled to wrap everything up, and then the ratings were so good that the network ordered a fifth season and he had to stretch out a cut subplot into a full season.
The show was originally plotted to have a five-season arc. When PTEN finally disintegrated and the show was not renewed for a fifth season, the fourth season was reworked to finish the arc. The show was subsequently granted a fifth season by TNT, but with almost all of its major plot threads resolved. To add to the problem, JMS’ original notes for season five were lost while he was attending a convention. The fifth season which resulted was noticeably less action-driven and was composed partly of scripts that had been cut from earlier seasons for various reasons:

In the Babylon 5 script books, JMS states that he had Season Five neatly-plotted out... and then the only copy of his notes were stolen while at a con. His failed attempts to recover them resulted in the contentious "Telepath Colony" arc, which was supposed to last three episodes but wound up being eleven. JMS had other plans for S5, but those notes went missing (again) in a hotel room. Compounding the problem was Christian, the only cast member whom JMS couldn't re-sign; the departure of Ivanova and the introduction of her replacement Lochley caused additional strain on the season.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I wish shows could write for the story, not to fit some pre-set length. I have seen shows that should have been 6 episodes stretched out to 18 or more. And I have seen 10-episode seasons that needed more room to breathe and expand. I tell you, once I get that ring of wishes...
It's starting to happen. Fleabag is exactly the length Phoebe Waller-Bridge wanted it to be, no more, no less.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Yeah, Babylon 5 was an ideal middle ground. Excepting season 5 for reasons listed above, they had standard length seasons with enough room left for metaplot and good fun "filler" episodes that could focus on and build up minor characters.

Yeah, Babylon 5 was an ideal middle ground. Excepting season 5 for reasons listed above, they had standard length seasons with enough room left for metaplot and good fun "filler" episodes that could focus on and build up minor characters.
It was and still is a rare show that even if it's a "filler" the metaplot is still referenced and moves a bit in the background.

JMS cited Blake's 7 (13 episodes per season) as an inspiration for the Babylon 5 metaplot.

Which, ironically, also suffered from cancelled-not-cancelled.

Remove ads