I'm done with 3.5

RFisher

Explorer
buzz said:
People who've worked for TSR and WotC, e.g. Dancey, have explicitly talked about how splitting the core brand into two game lines did not make good business sense.

Um...when did Dancey join TSR? (1997 or so? A dozen or more years after those products.) Yeah, I know he was tasked with figuring out how TSR failed by looking through its records, but I don't remember the Basic/Advanced split being a huge part of his conclusion. (Rather, it was not listening to customers enough.)

Like I said, can anybody really claim that Mentzer's Basic Set & the 1e PHB were not two of the most successful RPG products? Whether it seems to make business sense or not, you can't argue with success. & sure, the company was mismanaged, but that didn't have anything to do with those two products. Rather, they were what allowed TSR to stay in business in spite of the mismanagement.

buzz said:
Do I think there's more constructive things you can do with your time than shake your fist at WotC for not perfectly matching your preferences? Absolutely. D&D is not the only RPG in the universe.

Sure. But D&D has the best chance of being a person's first contact with the hobby. Many of us have observed that--no matter how much we may like d20--it really isn't doing such a great job selling the hobby to people unfamiliar with it. I'm not going to bother shaking my first at Wizards about it, but I think it's a topic worth discussing.

Derren said:
When you look at what RPGs are out there, you will come to the conclusion that D&D and D20 in general are one of the easier RPGs to learn.

(O_O) Among the three shelves of RPG products I have, D&D is among some of the hardest to learn. Good newbie games: The classic D&D Basic Set, Star Frontiers, Prince Valiant, Buck Rogers High Adventure Cliffhangers, Toon, True20. Those are some of the ones that come to mind.

(Unfortunately, most of those are OOP. I remember asking in an online forum the best in-print game for newbies I can't mentor, & most of the responses were: "In-print is the problem in that equation.")

That's not even touching on some of the great free games out there. (Dungeon Squad was created because the author had failed to capture some kids' interest with D&D3e. & it indeed did succeed where 3e had failed.)

OK, 3e is definately easier than at least one game on my shelves: Fantasy Wargaming. (^_^)

fusangite

First Post
Derren said:
But I still don't get how people can think that AoOs or D&D in general is complicated.
Do you think we're lying?
And unless someone in the group refuses to learn the rules AoOs and Grapple don't slow down the game by any meaningfull amount.
You should show up for my gaming group.
When you look at what RPGs are out there, you will come to the conclusion that D&D and D20 in general are one of the easier RPGs to learn.
How many other RPGs have you learned? Because this is sure at variance with my experience.

Imaro

Legend
Campbell said:
I am not particularly familiar with the Basic Set. I haven't actually ever met any one who used. Maybe the circles I travel in are remarkably different than most people, but I almost everyone I know has been able to start with the Player's Handbook. Sure, they may not immediately grok the game in its entirety, but a complete and exhaustive understanding of the rules isn't really required to start. Additionally, I've found that most people do not really want to start with a simpler game and than move on to a more complex one. People tend to play games with a level of complexity that they're comfortable with. I think the general split that existed between AD&D players and players of the Basic Game is evidence of this phenomenon.

Evidence of what phenomenon? That some people prefer simpler and some more complex. I actually think basic D&D and AD&D would have done better if there had been a sort of "bridge book" between the two.

What exactly is the "level of complexity" that they're comfortable at? Isn't this an individual thing? In my experience people like games that allow for a minimal amount of rules that can be used in tactical ways during gameplay( I use tactical here in the sense of any, no just combat, options the players use to solve problems). More rules doesn't necessarily mean a more tactical or enjoyable play experience. An example are the grappling rules. Do they give the players more tactical options, yes...however the rules are such a pain that most of my players never use them anyway, they don't add to our fun or tactical options because they're unnecessarily complex.

AD&D and D&D aren't an example of what I'm talking about anyway. I am talking about a modular base game which can be built upon, not two seperate games. They're the same game, but and "advanced options" book allows you to play it with the complexity and tactical nature that some want...while others get to play a game that is quick and streamlined.

Campbell said:
I'm not quite sure what sort of business model you see such a game having. I paid a combined cost of around $60 for my 3rd Edition Core Set, which I bought retail. I paid about $60 for the revised set on Amazon, and it would have been less if I hadn't waited so long to get into the revision. That's amazingly cheap for about 950 pages of play tested material with strong production values and good indexes. Spreading out that material inevitably raises costs, since you're paying for the costs of binding several books.

Uhm...I'm thinking a "core basic book" at about $40( about 400pgs...think d20 modern.), then an Unearthed Arcana type book, maybe call it advanced options or something for maybe $20 to $30(similar in size to a PHB, w/more spells,monsters, feats, rules for PrC's etc. So even those with the Basic Game will have an incentive to purchase it). So full retail of about $70 and on Amazon comparable or less than what you spent, not seeing the problem here. WotC makes $40 core books for their game lines that are nowhere near as popular as D&D and make a profit, so I don't see this as a problem if they charge those rates.

Campbell said:
By spreading out material, hunting down rules references becomes a chore. You need to hunt down Book D for a rule that's referenced in Book A, instead of flipping pages. Additionally, rules in advanced supplements may very well conflict with rules in the core books, which can lead to all sorts of confusion. Added to this concern is the general prevalence of supplementary material not being treated with the same care and attention that core material is, which means this approach might require further work to smooth out rough edges..

Okay...what are you talking about, I'm suggesting a two book model with everything you need to play the "complex" version or a one boook model for the "streamlined" version...right now there's at least 3 books you have to refrence so how does this model make it worse?

Your rules comment is basically not a problem with the model I'm suggesting, but with game design. If you feel WoTC is like this with their games and material you shouldn't buy from them, but my model in no way predisposses them to shoddy work.

Campbell said:
One concrete example of my bad experience with this sort of model is the Player's Option series from AD&D 2e, which often conflicted with the rules in the core books. There were radically different combat rules. Weapon specialization varied dramatically. Additionally, most supplements were 'balanced' for the core game and required work to fit into a Player's Option campaign..

Again...game design. With the modular and base mechanic of 3.5 these same issues shouldn't pop up. Again I cite the basic set as an example. In that game you cannot cast a spell if you are within melee range of an opponent, ( not necessarily saying this is how it should be done, but it serves as an example of modular complexity), however in the 3.5 PHB you can w/an attk of opportunity...how do these conflict? A DM states upfront whether he's playing w/AoO or not...and there's a set of rules to go by either way. Otherwise the DM has to rip AoO out, and there's always the chance he missed something or didn't account for certain situations.

One thing I will say is that in my oppinion the basic set is a little deceptive. It lays out a much simpler game than D&D core...but only allows you to play up to 2nd level before requiring the 3.5 PHB. Many people who try it are going to believe D&D is alot simpler than what it truly is.

Campbell said:
More than anything else, my point is that if you're going to have radically different games they should be separate games. Compromise in this area usually only makes both parties miserable. I understand that you want a game that works for you out of the box. I also want the exact same thing. The issue is that we're never going to be able to find a game that serves both of our needs appropriately, and I don't think we should try.

I'm not talking about different games, one game modular...where you add in the level of rules and complexity you want. Hey wait doesn't that sound familiar. I mean does everyone in the world play with swift actions? Does everyone play with psionics or skill tricks? Does everyone play with or exclude the numerous Unearthed Arcana options? Did this cause the breakdown you keep citing?

Retreater

Legend
I'm taking a break from D&D too. I have been playing 3.x weekly since its release, so I'm welcoming a change. We've been playing more boardgames and card games and we'll soon be beginning a GURPS Space campaign.

If I have a compliant about D&D it's that the encounters in prepublished adventures seem too overpowered for my group's playing style. I realized that frequent character deaths have kept us at around 3rd level for months.

RFisher

Explorer
Imaro said:
I'm not talking about different games, one game modular...where you add in the level of rules and complexity you want. Hey wait doesn't that sound familiar.

Sure it sounds familiar. Look at the classic D&D box sets (Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal). Or AD&D2e with complexity marked as optional right in the core books before they even started adding "options" supplements. Look at Magic Realm, Kingmaker, Dungeon!, or any of the many other complex board games that let you start with a simpler subset of the rules & add complexity gradually. Melee, Wizard, Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard, & Into the Labyrith. Gurps basic & advanced combat chapters. Star Frontiers.

Even Prince Valiant has a basic/advanced rules divide!

Classic Traveller: Book 1 combat -> Snapshot -> Mercenary -> Striker. Book 2 -> High Guard -> Striker. Book 3 -> Scouts. (Which was particularly cool because you could add complexity in one area without adding it in others.)

Baby Samurai

Banned
Banned
My group has ported over the following changes from Saga to our D&D campaign, and it has really blown some fresh air in:

-Charge is a standard action

-Withdraw is a move action.

-No 5 ft. step.

-Diagonal movement is 2-2-2-2, rather than 1-2-1-2.

-No iterative attacks – replaced by Double Attack, Triple Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Whirlwind Attack, Dual Weapon Mastery etc

-No confirmation rolls for critical hits – a longsword automatically critical hits on a natural 20, a rapier automatically critical hits on a natural 19, or 20, and a keen rapier automatically critical hits on a natural 18, 19, or 20.

-Half character level as bonus damage on attacks.

-The skill system.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Baby Samurai said:
No confirmation rolls for critical hits – a longsword automatically critical hits on a natural 20, a rapier automatically critical hits on a natural 19, or 20, and a keen rapier automatically critical hits on a natural 18, 19, or 20.
What, a Greataxe just doesn't crit at all then? :confused:

Sorry, I just don't understand. What am I not getting there?

werk

First Post
Baby Samurai said:
It automatically crits on a 20.

Auto crits just makes characters tweak for crits.

Confirmed crits make characters tweak for AB.

It's whether you want randomly occuring big hits and a lot more whiffs, or if you want more hits and less frequent big hits. I prefer less crits, having done the auto crit route in the past.

It's all about what you want in your game. Do you want to swing for the fences everytime at plate, or do you want a nice high batting average.

Remove ads