• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Im getting OD&D on friday..What can I expect?

DungeonMaester

First Post
diaglo said:
behind the numbers this includes Supplement I Greyhawk:

str
3-4 -2 to hit/ -1 damage
5-6 -1 to hit
7-12 normal
13-15 +1 to hit
16 +1 to hit +1 damage
17 +2 to hit +2 damage
18 +2 to hit +3 damage

int
for every point above 10 add the potential to learn a new language

wis

con
3-6 -1 to hit points
7-14 normal
15-16 +1 to hit points
17 +2 to hit points
18 +3 to hit points

dex
3-8 -1 to ranged
9-12 normal
13-14 +1 to ranged
15 +1 to ranged +1 to AC
16 +1 to ranged +2 to AC
17 +1 to ranged +3 to AC
18 +1 to ranged +4 to AC

cha
3-4 -2 to reaction
5-6 -1 to reaction
7-12 normal
13-15 +1 to reaction
16-17 +2 to reaction
18 +4 to reaction

depends on class. clerics lvl the fastest until the thief was added in Supplement I Greyhawk. magic users lvl the slowest to start.

cleric, fighting man, magic user.
supplement I greyhawk introduces the thief and paladin
other supplements and the strategic review add the rest of the ADnD classes. like monk, illusionist, ranger, druid, assassin, and bard

Perfect..just perfect..I really have hit D&D Gold. I think I need to change my pants!!! Now, to add some 'DM rewards players for rp' hose rules, and I am set. Bwa hahaha!

---Rusty

T. Foster

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
What I am looking for

How do ability scores affect characters?
Strength, Intelligence, and Wisdom affect XP for fighters, magic-users, and clerics respectively. If you've got a score of 13-14 in the appropriate ability you get +5% to earned XP. If you've got a score of 15-18 you get +10% (there are no ability scores above 18); conversely, a score of 7-8 gives a -10% XP penalty, and a score of 3-6 gives a -20% XP penalty. Intelligence also affects the number of languages the character can learn (+1 language per point of Int above 10). Other than this, the first 3 ability scores have no defined in-game effects -- it's suggested that, for example, strength aids in opening traps, and intelligence and/or wisdom in solving puzzles, but with no specific mechanics attached -- it's left to the discretion of the referee.

Constitution, Dexterity, and Charisma do have specific defined in-game effects. A Con of 15+ gives +1 hp/die (and a Con of 6- -1 hp/die (with a minimum of 1); Dex 13+ gives +1 to hit with missiles (and Dex 8- -1 to hit with missiles); Cha 13-14 gives +1 on reaction rolls, 15-17 gives +2, and 18 gives +4 (contrariwise, Cha 5-6 gives -1 on reactions and Cha 3-4 gives -2). Con also affects whether characters will survive "system shocks" (such as being polymorphed or paralyzed) and Cha affects the maximum number of extraordinary hirelings (i.e. character-types, not men-at-arms). It's suggested that Dex affects getting first strike in combat, but no mechanic is attached describing how this would work.

Players are allowed to trade points between the first 3 scores, raising their "prime requisite" stat (i.e. strength for fighters, intelligence for magic-users, etc.) by lowering one or both of the others. How many points must be subtracted from one stat to add to the other depends on the class of the character and the stat being traded (e.g. fighters can trade 2 points of Wis or 3 points of Int for 1 point of Str). Stat-trading can never bring a stat below 9. Points can't be traded from the second 3 stats.

How much EXP to level?
Each class has a separate XP chart. Fighters require 2000 XP for 2nd level, magic-users 2500 XP, and clerics 1500 XP. These numbers typically double for each subsequent level (though the chart isn't exact -- magic-users, for instance, enter a "groove" around level 7 where they start gaining levels more quickly and eventually surpass both fighters and clerics) up to "name" level (9th for fighters, 11th for magic-users, 8th for clerics) where the formula changes to a flat addition of points per level -- 120,000 XP/level for fighters, 100,000 XP/level for magic-users and clerics.

What Classes in OD&D?
There are 3 classes: fighters (sometimes called "fighting men"), magic-users, and clerics. There are 4 races: humans, dwarves, elves, and hobbits. Humans can be any class with no limit on advancement; dwarves can only be fighters and are limited to 6th level; hobbits can only be fighters and are limited to 4th level; elves are always both fighters and magic-users, and must choose which class they will be at the beginning of every session/adventure -- as fighters they're limited to 4th level and as magic-users they're limited to 8th level. Dwarves, elves, and hobbits all have additional special abilities (dwarves and hobbits have a bonus on saving throws, elves have a bonus spotting secret doors, all 3 have a bonus listening at doors, etc.). Additional character types may be allowed at the discretion of the referee (the example in the rules is a balrog player character) but the details for such characters must be created by the individual referee. At the referee's option, character's may switch classes, but only if they have a score of 16+ in the prime requisite stat of the new class. Magic-users can't become clerics or vice versa.

Ect ect ect.
What else you wanna know? ;)

T. Foster

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
Well, ability score Mods reports conflict from Diaglo and T.Foster.

Any insight as to why?

---Rusty
The ability score mods quoted by diaglo include Supplement I: Greyhawk, which added to hit and damage bonuses/penalties for strength, AC bonuses for Dex, and increased the hp bonus for high Con scores. None of those were present in the original boxed-set rules (which is what I was quoting from). With these and other additions from Supp I (thief and paladin classes, half-elves, weapon vs. AC chart and variable damage by weapon type, %ile-based "exceptional" strength for fighters with Str 18, Int-based "chance to know spell" chart for magic-users, etc.) the game begins to feel much closer to AD&D than it does if you use only the rules in the original boxed set. Therefore, I prefer to use only the original boxed set (since if I want something that feels like AD&D, I'll play AD&D...).

DungeonMaester

First Post
Thanks. I was hoping what Dia posted was the Core rule. I would prefer this because it is like what Palladium used so I am use to it. its simple, and easy to understand. It does feel AD&D ish, which I am trying to stay away from in order to keep OD&D, OD&D and not AD&D, despite the fact that A) Every one tells me AD&D is/was horrible B) I loved AD&D anyway.

On the other hand I like the OD&D quote. The Dm applies flavor. I like this because it takes the 'powergame' mentality of I can max out Str to always hit and do lots of damage.

I want to have house rules that will make these three classes millions of different things, while not boging down OD&Din all its glory with tons of house rules.

Refresher course or THACO? Attack vrs AC in these old Ed.

---Rusty

T. Foster

First Post
Well, one of the advantages of OD&D's semi-freeform nature is that as referee you can mix & match whatever you want. If you want to use certain elements from Supp I (like the strength to hit & damage bonuses) but ignore others, that's perfectly within your purview. There is no "canon" for OD&D, no "official" ruleset.

Remove ads