• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I'm not a wizard, druid or ranger. Can I get a Familiar or Animal Companion?

Hannibal King

First Post
Hi guys. One of my players is a cleric of Tyr and he was wondering if he could have a familiar or animal companion as per the class abilities, to fit in with his background? Are there any feats that cover this? Can someone point me to the correct book or website?
Thanks in advance
HK

IcyCool

First Post
Hannibal King said:
Hi guys. One of my players is a cleric of Tyr and he was wondering if he could have a familiar or animal companion as per the class abilities, to fit in with his background? Are there any feats that cover this? Can someone point me to the correct book or website?
Thanks in advance
HK

There's a feat in Complete Arcane called "Obtain Familiar", although it requires an Arcane Caster Level of 3. You could use it as a bit of a template.

BSF

Explorer
WotC had some feats on their site to do something similar. The name of the feats escape me right now though.

Green Ronin's Shaman's Handbook has a feat to allow a character to obtain an animal companion. I don't have the book handy right now, but I think it scaled pretty much like a Druid's companion. I want to say ranks in Handle Animal were among the prerequisites.

Thanee

First Post
Well, Clerics can become Mystic Wanderers and get a familiar that way, but otherwise, by the rules, not that I know of.

Bye
Thanee

Li Shenron

Legend
I think a feat is an appropriate price, tho I would allow it only to spellcasters because of the supernatural link involved, and depending on your background.

Otherwise he could just have a normal trained animal like anyone else, if that's enough for you.

colinfit20

Explorer
Reg: Familiar

There's a book entitled Book of Familiars where any class can get a familiar the only restriction for classes other than those who normally can get one is to expend a feat and then they can do the same although there are variations of a theme for each character class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads