• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E I'm really hating Constitution right now

I would say a Fighter/Barbarian/Rogue with 12, 10, 8 in Mental stats *is* being penalised in every aspect of the game that isn't being punched in the face. It's only a safe choice if your only measure of the game is dying through HP degradation.
As far as the game rules are concerned, dying through HP loss is pretty much the only way you can die, and any other sort of challenge can usually be resolved by fighting. If someone kidnaps the wizard, you can find the kidnappers and punch them until they give the wizard back. If you don't know where the kidnappers are, you can punch people until you find out. As the saying goes, "Violence is regrettable... but effective."

This isn't about being efficient but boring or weak but fun. That's a false dichotomy, because the GM can tailor encounters and the game as they want, and players themselves get joy out of different things. Because in D&D the difference between your 'Efficient' and 'Weak' (also you use a scientific term and an emotional term in the comparison) isn't huge.
First of all, the DM can't just tailor encounters to the players or the party, because that's cheating. If the DM was going to tailor the encounters, then there would be no point in playing the game in the first place. Maybe some people play like that, but it's far from a given. More generally speaking, the players are free to engage the world as they see fit, and they are the ones who decide whether to fight or talk based on their understanding of their own abilities and the opposition and how the world works.

Second, if the difference between high stats and average stats is not significant, then it's not a significant penalty to have an average stat instead of a high stat. The fighter with Charisma 14 and Constitution 10 isn't significantly better at talking to people, or significantly more likely to fall during any given combat, so whether one or the other might be more useful to the character depends mostly on the number of relevant situations they'll find themself in. For every ten Charisma-based checks the fighter is asked to make, one of those (on average) will hinge on the stat difference. The difference in personability between those two fighters is only noticeable after they've each been called on to prove themselves in ten situations.

And honestly, how many Charisma-based checks will the Charisma 14 fighter be asked to make, when the Charisma 20 bard is standing right there? Is it greater than the sum of Constitution-based checks and HP-relevant combats they will be asked to participate in? If so, then great, you will be more likely to save the world with high Charisma than with high Con. I've certainly played in those types of campaigns before. Based on my observations of published adventures and what I've heard from others on these boards, though, such campaigns are in the minority when it comes to D&D.

Hillsy7

First Post
As far as the game rules are concerned, dying through HP loss is pretty much the only way you can die, and any other sort of challenge can usually be resolved by fighting.
Note I didn't say anything about other ways of dying, only "Not dying" being your only measure (And therefore, Not Dying being your primary or sole concern). Now that may be Your opinion and preference, and that's totally fine, but for a large % of other players of the game, having a few HP less ranks lower on their measure of concerns than having high social stats. If your only available method of interacting with challenges is to get into a HP whittling contest, you are being penalised. Fact. The fact you might have absolutely no problems with this, and none of the players do, and you all bounce merrily along kicking down doors and beating up hobos is fortuitous. Other people disagree, therefore your not being hampered does not apply equally to them.

First of all, the DM can't just tailor encounters to the players or the party, because that's cheating. If the DM was going to tailor the encounters, then there would be no point in playing the game in the first place.

You know that as soon as you take the player level into account when designing an encounter, by your definition you're cheating?
Or you've got new players who aren't totally hot on the rules so you lob them some easy pitches - cheating right?
What about players who want to try cinematic and narrative things in combat (I want to try and disguise myself as a skeleton using this pile of bones and parlay with the Skeleton hoard) rather than get as close to maximum DPR as possible - would giving them more options in encounters to do just that be cheating?

Look - if that's the way you roll, knock yourself out. The game is fundamentally designed otherwise.

Maybe some people play like that, but it's far from a given. More generally speaking, the players are free to engage the world as they see fit, and they are the ones who decide whether to fight or talk based on their understanding of their own abilities and the opposition and how the world works.
But based on your own arguments, if they want to engage with the word as a low CON character with high stats in WIS, INT, and CHA - they are weak. Fun, but ultimately weak. It's a second rate choice, an error, because "violence is regrettable...but effective".

The argument initially posited was that every character had no choice BUT to take high CON. You added to that saying taking CON had no drawbacks. I made the point that for many people, having low social stats IS a drawback. Now you're saying the players are free to engage with the world as they want - well if they want their character to focus on engaging with the world on a social level, their characters need social stats to reflect that (inasmuch as they NEED stats to do or approach anything - you're hulking brute may well prefer narratively to talk rather than fight, but with 8 CHA, he's more likely to just be ignored to be fair). Wanting to engage with the world socially, and dumping social stats in order to pump Con Is A Drawback by definition.

Second, if the difference between high stats and average stats is not significant, then it's not a significant penalty to have an average stat instead of a high stat. The fighter with Charisma 14 and Constitution 10 isn't significantly better at talking to people, or significantly more likely to fall during any given combat, so whether one or the other might be more useful to the character depends mostly on the number of relevant situations they'll find themself in. For every ten Charisma-based checks the fighter is asked to make, one of those (on average) will hinge on the stat difference. The difference in personability between those two fighters is only noticeable after they've each been called on to prove themselves in ten situations.

I addressed that in a later comment - I'd warrant that if you've a 10% lower chance (in non-trivial, non-impossible) situations you wouldn't notice because people don't record this stuff. Besides, a Bard with 10 CHA and training in deception is going to destroy a 20 CHA Fighter in bluffing midgame anyway - in fact the game would not be significantly different if you removed everything except +4 and 0 stat mods and kept the proficiency bonus. Stats though, as I said, very loosely represent the type of person you character is, and the experience they've gained, which in turn informs how that person approaches challenges. The comparison of INT 10 to INT 15 may mean little in terms of dice rolling success, but it's massive in terms of character.

And honestly, how many Charisma-based checks will the Charisma 14 fighter be asked to make, when the Charisma 20 bard is standing right there? Is it greater than the sum of Constitution-based checks and HP-relevant combats they will be asked to participate in?

Again, you're power gaming. Which is totally fine and many people enjoy many games doing just that. As long as you've got a Wizard, a Druid and a Bard/Sorceror, you've got all the social pillars covered. Everyone pumps CON and DEX as their 2nd and 3rd stats and dumps the rest. Cool.

However, more character and narrative driven games are messier. The Fighter I WANT to play has 16 Charisma, and himself is a suave charmer in the Han Solo mould (He can mix it, but he's fundamentally a chancer and a charlatan). The Bard is a court Bard, and has 20 charisma. So now my character can't have any social play? Why not? It's what he does - He sees opportunity and tries to cut deals. Why wouldn't he engage using his Charisma? Just cos the Bard has a better stat? No chance - would Han Solo stand by and let someone else negotiate on his behalf?

Again I reference Critical Role: The party could have Scanlan do ALL the Social work. They don't. Percy does Diplomacy, Vex does Haggling, and Scanlan does BS......FFS Scanlan's Persuasion is +18! +18!!! Vex's is +9! But guess what, their character's don't work that way. Percy has 20 INT, Vex has 17 Charisma. They are going to engage with the world/story socially. So they do - they don't defer to Scanlan in every social situation because he has INSANE Charisma. Those stats aren't "wasted" in the slightest - they are fundamental pillars of the characters.

And it's a false dichotomy to say the only value of stats is only the number of CHA rolls Vs HP close shaves. That's your valuation of those stats (and you're entitled to it, because we all value things differently)

For what feels like the Billionth time: If you don't want to play the game that way, that's cool. Each to their own, you know, and that applies to the original post lamenting about homogeneous CON scores. But to categorically state that something is "Broken" because you have a narrow value of things is like announcing a screwdriver is "Useless" because you've been trying to bang in a nail and it just won't do it. Preferences aren't bad or wrong, especially not in a system like D&D which has such a broad scope and fanbase - and generally speaking people get to play the games they want to play because of it. What is badwrongfunning is saying one value system is fundamentally better because: Reasons.

Stats though, as I said, very loosely represent the type of person you character is, and the experience they've gained, which in turn informs how that person approaches challenges. The comparison of INT 10 to INT 15 may mean little in terms of dice rolling success, but it's massive in terms of character.
So now you're arguing that stats are significant, but not mechanically so. You're saying that there's some fundamental difference between Charisma 8 and Charisma 14 that exceeds beyond the reach of the math - that certain stats are inextricably linked to the way you approach the world and the types of decisions you make as a character.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but you're also telling people how they should be role-playing their characters. What you're saying sounds a lot like, if a Fighter has a certain number written on their sheet, they shouldn't be allowed to act in a certain way. I can see how you might want or expect that sort of thing, but it's also pretty controversial. Nobody wants another player, or even worse the DM, to tell you that your Intelligence 9 Fighter is too dumb to do the common sense things that you think they should do.

IAgain, you're power gaming. Which is totally fine and many people enjoy many games doing just that. As long as you've got a Wizard, a Druid and a Bard/Sorceror, you've got all the social pillars covered. Everyone pumps CON and DEX as their 2nd and 3rd stats and dumps the rest. Cool.

However, more character and narrative driven games are messier. The Fighter I WANT to play has 16 Charisma, and himself is a suave charmer in the Han Solo mould (He can mix it, but he's fundamentally a chancer and a charlatan). The Bard is a court Bard, and has 20 charisma. So now my character can't have any social play? Why not? It's what he does - He sees opportunity and tries to cut deals. Why wouldn't he engage using his Charisma? Just cos the Bard has a better stat? No chance - would Han Solo stand by and let someone else negotiate on his behalf?
Optimization - power gaming - is a valid way of role-playing in a world where failure will doom the world or at least kill you specifically. Characters are generally encouraged to play to their strengths, because if you fail at your role, then everyone dies and it's your fault. Legolas and Gimli get spots in the Fellowship, because this is important and they're the best ones for the job.

Is the fate of the world at stake? If not, then you have more freedom to play different characters who are less optimized. Is death the most likely outcome for failure? If not, then you have more freedom to play different characters who are less optimized.

Based on observations of published material and other posters on this board, it's not uncommon for high-level characters to be tasked with saving the world, and death is always a looming threat. In those games, players may feel obligated to put points into Con instead of Charisma, and while that's not the only type of game you could play with these rules, it's common enough of a playstyle to lament how much more valuable Constitution is than any of the alternatives.

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Well, inasmuch as any array of stats describes the actual (imagined) attributes of the character really, and you aren't simply playing the mechanics of the game (stat bonuses to skill rolls) completely separate from the conceptual world those attributes are attempting to describe.

I mean, sod it, why not just cut the conceptual link all together: My Druid is a man mountain, 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and strikes fear into those he turns his Ire upon. OK, he has a 10 in both STR and CHA, but hey, it's only 2 less on Athletics and Intimidation checks than someone with 15 in those stats, so statistically he's only 10% worse when it comes to lifting up trees and scaring recalcitrant Thieves. Meh, who gives a basilisk's ass, right? So what, he only succeeds in 5 of every 10 Athletics checks instead of 6, you wont really notice - I'll just play him as a hulking brute because, you know, who's really going to notice anyway?

So what you are saying, basically, is that the person who puts in the time and effort to weave a complex backstory for his Fighter, sacrifices points in combat optimal stats in order to have 15 Charisma and 14 Intelligence to better reflect his upbringing as a Prince of the Realm, has no more narrative right when faced with a tense meeting with a despotic monarch, to say "Guys, this is what I was born to do", than the person who says she's also a learned princess of another land, but has 10 in both stats and maxed out STR and CON. Because, hey, what's a +2 compared to a d20 roll? Hardly a sure thing against DC 13 is it?

OK, I'm being snide, but I mean c'mon. It's generally accepted that the main 6 stats articulate roughly the personality and general physicality of your character (and why you can do some amazing things with really low stats, character wise. The archetypal 6 intelligence Barbarian can be a star). Aside from generic checks, your party is hardly going to let you negotiate a deal with a powerful man if your CHA is 10 compared to the suave charming Rogue. I mean, that's his character, his personality. That's what he 'does'.

Yes, mechanically there's nothing stopping you from getting 'involved', again inasmuch as that with any stat array you can both roleplay any character regardless of stats, or roleplay your character perfectly within the group and the story. But that +1 or +2 difference is mechanically supposed to represent a lifetime of narrative choices and experience. To use another Critical Role reference: Vex'halia could just as easily be a money-crazed haggling-obsessed magpie with Charisma 12 or charisma 17 - but it makes more sense, and carries more weight - it is more satisfying - because Laura Bailey took the decision to take low CON and high CHA.....

Otherwise you might as well min-max and play whatever character you want over the top, and ignore stats outside combat altogether.

Well, I thought it was a straight forward question.... And I get this crap as an answer. So let's try it again.

D20+? = the point you stop sitting on your hands & get involved in the game outside of damage dealing.
How much of a bonus do you need before you'll play the rest of the game? Fill in the value of that ?.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, I thought it was a straight forward question....
Looked like a rhetorical question, to me. ;)

D20+? = the point you stop sitting on your hands & get involved in the game outside of damage dealing.
How much of a bonus do you need before you'll play the rest of the game? Fill in the value of that ?.
You mean, where's the line between 'can contribute' (at all) - as can any tepid-body non-entity with straight 8's and no proficiency in anything - and 'can contribute' (meaningfully/consistently), perhaps?

Mathematically, I'd have to guess somewhere around +5. Not exactly +5 total, but relative to whatever the baseline seems to be in context (how good the rest of the party is, what bonus you'd need to hit the typical DC half the time, that kinda thing). That +5 is equivalent to the swing Advantage gives you at it's best, and everyone seems to appreciate Advantage.

Conceptually, I'd think you'd want to have a 'good' stat (14, say?) and be proficient to be confident you're a more-than-token-BA-skating contributor in a given area. That'd be a +4 ...at 1st level.
Pretty close.

Doesn't sound too out of line, though, again, it's relative. You want to be an Expert, you might want to have Expertise.

ccs

41st lv DM
Well yes, that's what Backgrounds are for, they're there to round out character.

However, the point here isn't something specific, but something more nebulous about what stats can (I won't go as far to say supposed to because that's badwrongfunning - Everyone is entirely entitled to play the game however they want) represent. So while your INT 10 fighter can chat to a Soldier and connect with him, get him to do him a favour, if the Sergeant comes up and threatens arrest because of Section 14 of Faerun law stating "coerscion from a non-military body is considered espionage". There's a hint of Bullshine in the air, but knowing this falls under an Intelligence check as it's not really covered by the Soldier background.

Now, with your Fighter is your Sorceror friend who used to work as a spy for a local Baron. He has 15 INT and 16 CHA. So he thinks he can challenge him and can argue on the points of Law (INT). Now, this option is open to the Fighter too, in theory. There's still a decent chance the Fighter will roll higher in an INT check because there's only +2 in it. But realistically, is a Martial Soldier going to be up to speed on the finer points of Law compared to an ex-political spy? With max STR and CON, the Fighter is more likely to Brute his way out of it (or try and use his narrow background perk).

It's not about the INT bonus to the roll, but rather that the relevant INT bonuses of the two characters means that the Fighter would never attempt the roll in the first place.

The stats mean more than just chances of success and failure, they are a very basic blueprint of how the character would generally behave, and that is in turn generated from the personality of the character themselves.

Great, so both I & the sorcerer roll our dice & the sorcerer has a slightly higher chance of success. Two rolls are better than 1....
In this case the dice will reveal wether or not I know anything on the subject. :) And finding out beats the hell out of me just sitting there passively. Besides, what's the worst that'll happen? I roll too low & the DM tells me I believe the NPC?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Great, so both I & the sorcerer roll our dice & the sorcerer has a slightly higher chance of success. Two rolls are better than 1....
Which is what assisting is for!
In this case the dice will reveal wether or not I know anything on the subject. :) And finding out beats the hell out of me just sitting there passively. Besides, what's the worst that'll happen? I roll too low & the DM tells me I believe the NPC?

No, you roll too low and you don't convince the NPC that you know he can't arrest you. At which point he tries to arrest you because you're not going to be able to cause a fuss. Then you either get arrested or trigger a combat, which most likely results in escalation of charges to resisting arrest and assault, making the investigation difficult...

But more generally, while constitution is a stat that directly interacts with taking damage and fighting, it's effectiveness is only being calculated considering combat in a bubble, assuming that it is inevitable, always balanced, and that resting and healing are guaranteed and to spec, AND that those extra hit points are always necessary.

A high stat bypassing a trap or removing a single combatant from a combat in a day could outweigh that benefit.

Which is more valuable is dependent upon the DM. I would argue that if your point of view is that "only hit point depletion can cause you to fail", then your choices are driven to constitution because your DM isn't exercising the scope of an RPG. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does make the 'issue' a campaign problem more than a system problem.

Now, that said, constitution has heightened effects on first level characters. Fundamentally, combat at very low levels is orders more deadly than at high levels, and a good constitution mod is deciding whether or not you die in a single hit. That alone may result in the population of characters that have been designed at and played from first level favouring constitution, which IS a system problem, but I don't think overhauling constitution is the fix, I think it's a fundamental flaw in low level combat: instantly dying simply because something got a lucky swing at you is not reflective of the system as a whole.

Last edited:

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Or group checks...
Two person group checks are basically like assisting, only worse. I'd rather just allow assistance.

And for higher numbers, I'd rather avoid group checks in situations where they would be helped by characters simply leaving, or where they end up with weird effects "We're going to talk to the king, so everyone with a charisma below 14 should guard the party horses" just isn't fun, and neither is "despite your character's +20 modifier for knowing local laws, the fact that these two clowns know nothing means that you just forget all your training and let the guard arrest you all on a fake charge".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads