• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)

paradox42

First Post
Interesting notions. I've been mulling over these today, while pondering connections with the latest issue of Dragon (which, among other things, has three variant Vampire templates as well as a variant vampire type in the article on Vecna that isn't actually statted up).

Personally, I've never considered the Dominate ability to be central to the vampire mythos; granted, it's a large part of the original vampire folklore that RPG vampires are typically based on, but in my experience it's not what people think of first when thinking of vamps. Now, given the way D&D SRD Vampires are built, Dominate is certainly the ability they use most often, I'd estimate because their other abilities are mostly combat focused (or at least "flashy" and attention-drawing- whereas in social situations one typically wants to avoid drawing attention). Referencing those Dragon variants, only one of the four actually retains the Dominate power; the others all get different mind-affecting powers (or none at all in the case of the Savage Vampire).

That said, the Erythreon was suggested to have an ability to control creatures in its vicinity by means of entering their blood and merging with them in some way; if it specifically targets gods with this power, that could serve as the foundation for Fieari's idea. But here's another thought: we still haven't started discussing the third Spirit combination, Spirit + Flesh. What if that creature is specifically founded on the idea of possession? Since they'd arise from Hunefers, which are (according to the ELH) supposedly mummified demigods trying to "recapture their divine essence," as well as Ghosts which can sometimes possess living victims, it would make sense for the Flesh/Spirit entity to specifically try to inhabit divine targets. It also makes sense from a folklore perspective, since Spirit inhabits Flesh to give rise to a living person- that is, after all, the whole idea behind Ghosts being able to possess people. What else could a combination of Flesh and Spirit do?

Anabstercorian, did you mean the Rogue Eidolon from MM2? Those are Constructs, but they are supposedly leftovers of spirit fragments cast off from ancient (possibly dead) "dark gods." We might take the idea and build something on IH notions with it.

UK, that's a great breakdown- it gives us targets to shoot for, certainly! Seeing the Nosferatu and Cimeriel, not to mention the Welkin, could help clarify matters of course, but Bestiary II is still only on the horizon so we'll have to wait and work with what we have.

Hey guys! :)

The Publisher has asked me to provide them with some of the best interior illustrations for promotional pieces - which do you think are best?

I was going to send maybe:

Cogent
Cometary Dragon
Ioun Golem
Malakim
Maskim
Odium

That covers all the major groups in the book (Monsters, Dragons, Golems, Angels, Outsiders and Abominations).

Are there any others which really stood out to you? (Maybe Atata ~ representing Templates)

Or are there some of the above you think I shouldn't send them?

Thoughts?

paradox42

First Post
Assuming the cover is going to be seen by people looking at promotional pieces, and further assuming that the promotional interior illustrations will be named (as WotC does for their book preview art galleries), it might be wise to throw in either or both of the Amilictli and the Seraphim, since people will naturally be wondering what those two things on the front cover are.

Other than that notion, I concur with the Orichalcum Golem mention (though the Ioun Golem is also very good, and the pic shows it's certainly a different sort of beast than a typical golem). The Cogent is pretty nasty-looking, so should do nicely, and the Odium is the Abomination pic I like best. For Angels, I actually like the Flaga and Sandalphon the most, though if you go with the Seraphim per my suggestion above those become moot. The Maskim is good, but I also like Kabiri; the shadowed body combined with the flare from the sword as he draws it looks very epic to me. Of the dragons, the Cometary is probably the best; though the Polychromatic is very good, the Cometary is just slightly "off" thanks to the four eyes and the two-headed thing. It is obviously a dragon of some kind, but looks weird enough that people are going to wonder what it is and want to get the book to find out. The point of selecting these illustrations is to help the publisher sell the book, right? :)

Hey guys! :)

Thanks for the feedback.

Incidently I have attached the slightly changed Bestiary cover. The Logo now has a more prominent 'I' and is 'glowing'.

paradox42 said:
Assuming the cover is going to be seen by people looking at promotional pieces, and further assuming that the promotional interior illustrations will be named (as WotC does for their book preview art galleries), it might be wise to throw in either or both of the Amilictli and the Seraphim, since people will naturally be wondering what those two things on the front cover are.

Interesting idea, of those that would mean the Amilictli, since I really don't think the Seraphim piece is that good (the 'camera' is too far back, so there is no real detail).

paradox42 said:
Other than that notion, I concur with the Orichalcum Golem mention (though the Ioun Golem is also very good, and the pic shows it's certainly a different sort of beast than a typical golem). The Cogent is pretty nasty-looking, so should do nicely, and the Odium is the Abomination pic I like best. For Angels, I actually like the Flaga and Sandalphon the most, though if you go with the Seraphim per my suggestion above those become moot. The Maskim is good, but I also like Kabiri; the shadowed body combined with the flare from the sword as he draws it looks very epic to me.

I never really liked Kabiri, because I never felt I got the shadows right at all (Hes moving backwards but the shadows are still behind him when they should be in front).

The Maskim is probably my favourite piece in the book.

paradox42 said:
Of the dragons, the Cometary is probably the best; though the Polychromatic is very good, the Cometary is just slightly "off" thanks to the four eyes and the two-headed thing. It is obviously a dragon of some kind, but looks weird enough that people are going to wonder what it is and want to get the book to find out. The point of selecting these illustrations is to help the publisher sell the book, right? :)

Yes, I think they will be included in a preview of sorts, or possibly advertising. They just told me "promotional".

Attachments

• IH_EpicBestiary_Vol1_NewCover(70%).jpg
    IH_EpicBestiary_Vol1_NewCover(70%).jpg
    169 KB · Views: 250

Fieari

Explorer
Question about the Adamic Dragons... they gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to 12 + 4*Age Category. That doesn't mean their Divine Rank is 12 + 4*Age Category, does it? Because that would make mere Very Old dragons First Ones... and Ouroborus, the Great-Great-Great Wyrm Cometary Dragon (whom I'm starting to stat out for fun) would qualify as a Demiurge!

Well... I mean, I guess that "Time Lord" would be an apropriate title for a Time Dragon, but... is that what you intended? I'd thought that Epic Dragons = Immortals, Adamic Dragons = Sidereals, Nehaschimic Dragons = Eternals. Having an Eternal Adamic dragon doesn't seem to fit that scale well.

Last edited:

Hiya Fieari mate! :)

Fieari said:
Question about the Adamic Dragons... they gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to 12 + 4*Age Category. That doesn't mean their Divine Rank is 12 + 4*Age Category, does it? Because that would make mere Very Old dragons First Ones... and Ouroborus, the Great-Great-Great Wyrm Cometary Dragon (whom I'm starting to stat out for fun) would qualify as a Demiurge!

Well... I mean, I guess that "Time Lord" would be an apropriate title for a Time Dragon, but... is that what you intended? I'd thought that Epic Dragons = Immortals, Adamic Dragons = Sidereals, Nehaschimic Dragons = Eternals. Having an Eternal Adamic dragon doesn't seem to fit that scale well.

As far as I can see, no great wyrm breaks into the next category. Only when you transcend Great Wyrm does such a thing arise.

Saying that you can't never have an eternal adamic dragon is anathema to a system that allows more or less infinite advancement.

Its like saying, you can't even have an epic mortal, or an immortal can never gain the power of a sidereal.

When all things are possible, there is no 'can't'. ;)

Fieari

Explorer
Gotcha. The only other problem is that Ouroborus doesn't have sufficient HD for the Demiurge template, despite having the divine ranks. Ah well.

Stats here: Ouroboros

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads