• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary (Epic Monster Discussion)

paradox42

First Post
Upper_Krust said:
Hey all! :)

Okay, I just got my print copies of the Immortals Handbook - Epic Bestiary: Volume One and the first thing I want to do is apologise to everyone for the mistake with the cover. I'm absolutely gutted. I just sent Mongoose an email requesting they fix it as soon as possible. If they don't then I may have to consider looking elsewhere because its just not good enough and borderline disrespectful to the people buying it and to me. :(
I must add to the chorus, what's wrong with it? The cover painting is there, full color and just as beautiful as the JPEG version I downloaded a year ago. If your concern is that the cover has the black border around it, my advice is... don't let your perfectionist streak get in the way of the facts. :) You have a book in stores that people can browse through and buy. You are officially a published author. That's huge, a first step most of us will never take. Don't step back now.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
If that is his concern he kinda has a point. While it doesn't detract from the wondrous nature of the book, it would be kinda rude for the publishers to not stick to contract. But since I don't really know whats going on yet, I'm just guessing.

Hiya mate! :)

Alzrius said:
Whoa, what happened? I haven't seen the cover, so I don't know what they did to it.

Instead of making the cover image fill the cover as its supposed to, they placed a black border around the image, and to make matters worse the border is totally lopsided (the image isn't even in the middle of the cover).

On the left the border is 2.2 cm, at the bottom its 2.5 cm, on the right its 8 mm and at the top its 1.8 cm. It just looks utterly ridiculous.

I mean, okay they made a mistake, fair enough, but surely they must have printed out a test version first. So at some point they decided its got this ridiculous/hideous border on it but lets just keep printing it like this instead of actually fixing the problem.

I mean can you imagine if they done the same with the Conan books or the Starship Troopers range!? No - exactly, which means its simply a lack of respect.

By the way Alzrius matey, you need to email me your address so I can send you your free copy (signed of course) - as thanks for editing. I also need to get the same from CRGreathouse (also for editing) and Sledge (who won the competition about a year ago)...but I can always email those guys later.

Hey paradox mate! :)

paradox42 said:
I must add to the chorus, what's wrong with it? The cover painting is there, full color and just as beautiful as the JPEG version I downloaded a year ago.

Well the actual image is far higher resolution, so technically it should even look better.

paradox42 said:
If your concern is that the cover has the black border around it, my advice is... don't let your perfectionist streak get in the way of the facts. :)

Its not about perfection, its about respect. This is the first time in history I have ever seen a book with such an error on the cover - its bascially incompetence, compounded by the fact someone, somewhere in charge has decided to just go ahead with it still looking like that.

paradox42 said:
You have a book in stores that people can browse through and buy. You are officially a published author. That's huge, a first step most of us will never take. Don't step back now.

This cover nonsense has just deflated the whole experience for me. I'm actually embarrassed to show the book to friends and family. :eek:

Kerrick

First Post
UK: question about monsters (epic or not) in general: How do you figure up the CL for SLAs? Is there a specific formula, or do you (the generic you, not you in specific) just pull a number out and say "This looks good"?

Remove ads