Immortals Handbook Epic Bestiary (now available)

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Fieari said:
EDIT: Just had another thought/question. With regards to the Artifact Rules, and Exotic Materials, how do they go together? I mean, say you're a medium fighter and have a natural strength of 50. Can you make your artifact sword partially oricalcum? Would doing so decrease the enhancement bonus you could stick on it?

There are rules for that in the Bestiary -- p. 88 on my copy. You'll want 0.003% orichalcum with that strength.

Fieari

Explorer
Nono... I know that much. Normally, oricalcum weapons and armor simply increase the PRICE of the item. How does that mesh with U_K's artifact system, which is based almost purely on bonuses, not price...

Hey Fieari mate! :)

Fieari said:
I'm also curious as to what sort of character/god could take out a Star Turtle... since that seems to be the most physically powerful creature statted out so far aside from Pun-Pun.

It's not as if Atuin is an intellegent force or really even a god... he/she is just a turtle with a world on it's back. But thwarting world-destroying plots is a mainstay of epic fiction... how high do you have to get before Atuin is threatened? I mean, if Time Lords can't handle it...

The problem is, I think the Time Lords could handle it...easily.

But Challenge Ratings start to go bonkers after a while, and I don't think I have, as yet, uncovered the secret of the infinite challenge rating.

Either mad monsters (like A'tuin) need their CR reduced, or (more likely), beings with Transcendental or better powers need their CR multiplied.

At this juncture I'm thinking that a Transcendental power will double CR (with 2 meaning x4, 3 meaning x8 etc.), while Omnific powers will increase CR by an order of magnitude.

But it all gets a bit tricky when you stray much beyond CR 200+. D20 is not the best system for mucking about with planet sized monsters, despite my best efforts.

Fieari said:
EDIT: Just had another thought/question. With regards to the Artifact Rules, and Exotic Materials, how do they go together? I mean, say you're a medium fighter and have a natural strength of 50. Can you make your artifact sword partially oricalcum? Would doing so decrease the enhancement bonus you could stick on it?

Funnily enough I actually based the orichalcum costs on a bonus...now all I need to do is reverse engineer it because I have forgotten what the bonus is. It may be +3/size category...although thats off the top of my head. :eek:

historian

First Post
Hey U_K! :)

At this juncture I'm thinking that a Transcendental power will double CR (with 2 meaning x4, 3 meaning x8 etc.), while Omnific powers will increase CR by an order of magnitude.

:eek:

That's awesome!

Would Transcendental and Omnific Artifacts do even more for CR?

historian said:

Hiya mate! :)

historian said:
:eek:

That's awesome!

Complicated is the word I would use myself. :eek:

historian said:
Would Transcendental and Omnific Artifacts do even more for CR?

Well it would all have to be accounted for. Fortunately, you can't get Transcendental artifacts until ECL 200, and you need to be Sidereal to start getting Transcendental abilities.

Which means that even ECL 198 Greater Power Odin is safe.

Hey all! :)

I'll be working out the Ascension illustrations over the next few days, so I am having to settle on a final 13 deities for the template examples. I have wanted to keep it to no more than one deity per Pantheon and have a good spread of classes and alignments. At the moment I have:

Disciple = Morgan Le Fay (undecided)
Prophet = Yanauluha (undecided because I think he should probably be of higher rank)
Hero-deity = Achilles
Quasi-deity = Vainamoinen

Demi-deity = No Cha
Lesser Deity = Hecate
Intermediate Deity = Horus (I want one deity that appeared in D&Dg just to show peopl ethe difference).
Greater Deity = Dagda

Elder One = Surtur
Old One = Algol (any eventual resemblence to Azathoth is purely coincidental)
First One = Metatron

Time Lord = :p
High Lord = :p :p

Some people may remember I suggested Lucifer for the Intermediate slot at one stage, but I think I will add him to the Bestiary Volume 3 instead. I also wanted to do Gaea as the Old One, but she should definately be an Elder Goddess and no one is going to trump my wanting to do Surtur. ;)

What do the rest of you think?

historian

First Post
Hey U_K!

Disciple = Morgan Le Fay (undecided)
Prophet = Yanauluha (undecided because I think he should probably be of higher rank)
Hero-deity = Achilles
Quasi-deity = Vainamoinen

Demi-deity = No Cha
Lesser Deity = Hecate
Intermediate Deity = Horus (I want one deity that appeared in D&Dg just to show peopl ethe difference).
Greater Deity = Dagda

Elder One = Surtur
Old One = Algol (any eventual resemblence to Azathoth is purely coincidental)
First One = Metatron

Bitchin.'

Surtur beats Gaea any day. Most people I'm suspecting will be playing Good/Neutral parties so you would think there would be a more acute need for Surtur stats.

Time Lord =
High Lord =

Rough CR estimates?

I really, really can't wait to see Ascension.

lade

First Post
I'm trying to design a series of core classrd and later prestige class for people who eventually want to end up with silver surfer( herald) levels of powers or at the upper end thanos level capabilities.

The core class I've decided has to be a monk class to get the characters to eventually through meditation and martial training to attune themeselves to the natural energy flows of the celestial bodies i.e solar system , planet and attain outsider status ( a must as mortal shells can't bring themselves to hold, channel or manipulate the energies to be brought to bear as they channel) , I want all class abilities to be extraordinary abilities as through will, training and intent they refine the energies they intend to channel and use the refined energy to define the type of capabilities that they will get.

Most will be a series of 100 level progression broken into 20, 15, 10 level prestige classes and core classes , as the NPC's cross one threshold they can decide to pick a path they're progression grants them i.e For example an outsider decides to bond with a star merging his essence with that of the star , developing warlock abilities such as as solar blasts only extarordinary and incantation like capabilties like nova bursts , lightspeed flight e.t.c , as he progrsses further c ompleting the class he decides to progress further learning to tap multiple stars for energy due to his affiliation with them , the trade of being he loses more mortality i.e flesh slowly becomes energy e.t.c. from there he decides to develop greater control over the energies he channels improving his manipulations of them and getting new abilites from them, he final apoetheosis is to become one with the cosmic force they represent i.e heat, light developing themselves as a primal conduit tio the elementalk plane of fire becoming practically elemental only much more , by hundredth level developing the power to drain stars completely of energy , manipulate solar, heat ,fire, atomic energies and photons in all their glory but this class requires dedication and commitment to reach the upper echelons of power ususally requiring centuries to accomplish, sometimes millenia.Also I'm considering developing fighter classes that utilize extraordinary abilities to either craft or imbue mundane weapons with vast cosmic power ,trransfroming them from simple implements to weapons of great powers by altering them on a molecular level , I'm think mystical and modern setting , mystical enough to understand the cosmic paradigms involved and modern enough that science and technology play an important role in the developement of power. i.e genetic e.t.c. What are your thoughts on my idea?

historian said:

Hiya mate! :)

historian said:
Bitchin.'

Watch that potty mouth son. ;)

historian said:
Surtur beats Gaea any day. Most people I'm suspecting will be playing Good/Neutral parties so you would think there would be a more acute need for Surtur stats.

Thats what I thought, but I want a good spread of examples, not just a Rogues Gallery.

historian said:
Rough CR estimates?

Time Lord...applying the previously mentioned modifiers...CR in the thousands probably.

High Lord...I don't even want to contemplate it until I have the stats all finished. :eek:

historian said:
I really, really can't wait to see Ascension.

At the end of May I'll probably be asking for a small number of playtesters/early adopters.

Hey there lade! :)

...and welcome to the boards.

lade said:
I'm trying to design a series of core classrd and later prestige class for people who eventually want to end up with silver surfer( herald) levels of powers or at the upper end thanos level capabilities.

Cool!

I have Silver Surfer on my website, although I probably need to rework part of that Galactus article.

Also of note is that the Prophet divinity template in the Immortals Handbook: Ascension is subtitled (Herald of...). ;)

lade said:
The core class I've decided has to be a monk class to get the characters to eventually through meditation and martial training to attune themeselves to the natural energy flows of the celestial bodies i.e solar system , planet and attain outsider status ( a must as mortal shells can't bring themselves to hold, channel or manipulate the energies to be brought to bear as they channel) , I want all class abilities to be extraordinary abilities as through will, training and intent they refine the energies they intend to channel and use the refined energy to define the type of capabilities that they will get.

Sounds a bit DragonballZ...I like it. :)

lade said:
Most will be a series of 100 level progression broken into 20, 15, 10 level prestige classes and core classes , as the NPC's cross one threshold they can decide to pick a path they're progression grants them i.e For example an outsider decides to bond with a star merging his essence with that of the star , developing warlock abilities such as as solar blasts only extarordinary and incantation like capabilties like nova bursts , lightspeed flight e.t.c , as he progrsses further c ompleting the class he decides to progress further learning to tap multiple stars for energy due to his affiliation with them , the trade of being he loses more mortality i.e flesh slowly becomes energy e.t.c. from there he decides to develop greater control over the energies he channels improving his manipulations of them and getting new abilites from them, he final apoetheosis is to become one with the cosmic force they represent i.e heat, light developing themselves as a primal conduit tio the elementalk plane of fire becoming practically elemental only much more , by hundredth level developing the power to drain stars completely of energy , manipulate solar, heat ,fire, atomic energies and photons in all their glory but this class requires dedication and commitment to reach the upper echelons of power ususally requiring centuries to accomplish, sometimes millenia.Also I'm considering developing fighter classes that utilize extraordinary abilities to either craft or imbue mundane weapons with vast cosmic power ,trransfroming them from simple implements to weapons of great powers by altering them on a molecular level , I'm think mystical and modern setting , mystical enough to understand the cosmic paradigms involved and modern enough that science and technology play an important role in the developement of power. i.e genetic e.t.c. What are your thoughts on my idea?

Well I hate to blow my own trumpet (however, this is my thread and in here I can do what I like*) but basically I already cover this sort of thing in the Immortals Handbook.

* ;)

I mean you are talking power like Silver Surfer scaling up to Thanos levels - The divinity templates cover that.

You are talking about bonding with a star, solar powers and so forth - The portfolio templates take care of that (Sun God etc.).

Imbueing mundane weapons with cosmic power - Artifacts, nuff said.

Mixing Gods with technology - I have a whole section on that in the Chronicle with the whole D20 Modern/Future weapon damages properly revised.

So obviously I am going to think its a great idea - because everything you mention above I have covered. :D

The only deviation would seem to be how 'Monk orientated' you want everything to be. Naturally thats not the focus of how I outline immortality. But you could simply give everyone Monk levels and go from there. I plan to have expanded Core Classes in there somewhere (probably Chronicle), and I have lots of epic/divine monk feats/abilities in Ascension so you would have lots of options to choose from.

Remove ads