Immortals Handbook: Gods & Monsters 5E Early Preview (Feedback encouraged)

Damage doesn't scale in 5e and very poorly at that.

Yes it seems I am the first to work It out. To be fair It wasn't obvious.

It is likely why Dark Matter used MDC, mega-creatures for a space setting to reflect much higher yields.

No need.

I mean obviously if you are rolling 100 d6 or whatever you can just roll 10 instead and multiply by 10. But I don't see any big need to create a new mechanic for it.

Unless you are introducing a new mechanic?

I'm introducing several new mechanics. But Mega Damage isn't one of them.

dave2008

Legend
Damage doesn't scale in 5e and very poorly at that.
It is likely why Dark Matter used MDC, mega-creatures for a space setting to reflect much higher yields.
Unless you are introducing a new mechanic?
Damage does scale in 5e. It is just not implemented rigidly. There are two methods by which damage scales in base 5e:
  1. Size: 1d for Medium, 2d for Large, 3d for Huge, and 4d for Gargantuan.
  2. CR: The DPR expected from a monster goes up as its CR goes up. However, there is no guideline on damage per attack.
1688839094497.png

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Damage does scale in 5e. It is just not implemented rigidly. There are two methods by which damage scales in base 5e:
  1. Size: 1d for Medium, 2d for Large, 3d for Huge, and 4d for Gargantuan.
  2. CR: The DPR expected from a monster goes up as its CR goes up. However, there is no guideline on damage per attack.
View attachment 289649
That is just incremental damage, not really scaling per se - not like say Star Wars D6, or say Savage Worlds.

For instance in Savage Worlds SWADE if you have armour with Heavy (+2) then nothing can harm you without also having the Heavy attached to it, whether weapon or power. This is used in both Savage Worlds across the board, although it sees a lot of use in Savage Rifts and Savage Pathfinder.

Now Savage Rifts has Arcane Background: Master of Magic, and a similar one for Psychics, such that all powers used are Heavy (IIRC).

Now in Savage Battlelords, there is another scale included, Super Heavy, which is for large robots, or spaceships.

That is scaling.

Like I said D6 Star Wars had it such that anything 2 levels higher in scale was unable to be harmed by those lower. So it allowed for objects 1 scale lower to harm them. I cannot recall the full rules, it has been awhile but that was the gist.

dave2008

Legend
That is just incremental damage, not really scaling per se - not like say Star Wars D6, or say Savage Worlds.

For instance in Savage Worlds SWADE if you have armour with Heavy (+2) then nothing can harm you without also having the Heavy attached to it, whether weapon or power. This is used in both Savage Worlds across the board, although it sees a lot of use in Savage Rifts and Savage Pathfinder.

Now Savage Rifts has Arcane Background: Master of Magic, and a similar one for Psychics, such that all powers used are Heavy (IIRC).

Now in Savage Battlelords, there is another scale included, Super Heavy, which is for large robots, or spaceships.

That is scaling.

Like I said D6 Star Wars had it such that anything 2 levels higher in scale was unable to be harmed by those lower. So it allowed for objects 1 scale lower to harm them. I cannot recall the full rules, it has been awhile but that was the gist.
Actually, that is not scaling, that is compartmentalizing. You can apply a scale to the those compartments, but by default it is not scaling. What I described was indeed scaling. Perhaps not on a grand scale, but scaling nonetheless.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
Actually, that is not scaling, that is compartmentalizing. You can apply a scale to the those compartments, but by default it is not scaling. What I described was indeed scaling. Perhaps not on a grand scale, but scaling nonetheless.
No, I don't agree.
Another example is monster sizes, as it scales into larger, and larger beasties.

Both of these are scales.

Technically DnD damage is only showing one scale of damage, or one tier. Unless I am misunderstanding scales....

Last edited:

Not entirely sure what is being argued here, but the bottom line is I don't use Mega Damage. But if someone wants to say 100 dice is 1 Mega Damage dice then that's entirely up to them. I'd just assume common sense will dictate people will know how many dice is too many to bother rolling and counting for them.

I've got my energy "scaling" in the book from Grenade to Big Bang (and beyond) and it seems good enough for me and the numbers (while high) are probably not as high as you'd imagine.

dave2008

Legend
No, I don't agree.
Another example is monster sizes, as it scales into larger, and larger beasties.

Both of these are scales.

Technically DnD damage is only showing one scale of damage, or one tier. Unless I am misunderstanding scales....
This is the last I will say about this so as not to mess up UK's thread any further. There are many types of scales. I am an architect by trade and use scale every day to represent on paper (digital paper now days) what will be eventually built (i.e. full scale). In that process, one on set of documents we will use a bunch of different scales it could 1/100 to 1/2 even. It can be a wide range. My point being, scales vary and 5e damage does scale (as I already demonstrated), it is just more fluid than what you want.

Remove ads