Immortals Handbook: Gods & Monsters 5E Early Preview (Feedback encouraged)

dave2008

Legend
PS I forgot to mention that I like the idea of putting Legendary resistances as part of the "Resistances" as opposed to a trait, saves some space.

dave2008

Legend
FYI, here is what I did with my Ancient Red Dragon's breath attacks:

Fire Blast. The dragon exhales a ball of fire that streaks to a point of its choice it can see within 160 feet of it, it then explodes into a 10-foot radius ball of flames. Each creature in the area must make DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (5d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Breath Weapons (1/Rest). The dragon uses one of the following breath weapons.
  • Fire Breath. The dragon exhales fire in a 160-foot cone or eight 20-foot-by-20-foot contiguous areas within 80 feet of it. . Each creature in that area must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 115 (21d10) fire damage and be incapacitated until the end of its turn on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, any magic or active spell of 8th level or lower in the area ends.
  • Fire Beam. The dragon exhales a beam of fire in a 220-foot line that is 5 feet wide. The first creature in the line must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 93 (17d10) fire damage plus 93 (17d10) force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, each creature within a 15-foot radius of the initial target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 11 (2d10) force damage and 11 (2d10) thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature reduced to 0 hit points by this attack dies and is reduced to a pile of ash.
Recharge. The dragon recharges its breath weapon and it can use it on its next turn.

Of course these could be simplified (my dragons are overly complex at the moment).

Hey dave amigo! :)

I look forward to it!

Its starting to shape up nicely.

I don't have the book in front me, but damage Threshold does not reduce damage in 5e. It is the amount of damage you must do, to cause any damage. And if you do any damage above that threshold, you do all damage you inflicted. So, per standard 5e, if I hit the dragon for 15 damage it does nothing, but if I hit it for 21 damage it inflicts 21 damage.

That is quite similar but I better change it just to be on the safe side. Thanks.

Yes, I guessed that. My point was I don't like a "default" mechanic in general and in particular I don't like this one.

The main point to this new Bloodied mechanic is twofold:

1. Eliminate those encounters where the PCs know they will win the battle and are just going through the motions, with the monster now doing MAX damage it gives them a new problem to worry about.
2. Replicate that "a tiger is at its most dangerous when boxed into a corner" mentality.

Yes I agree, that is what I was suggesting. Increase the risk to get a benefit that is what I was saying, just more generally, not this specific example. I think we are on the same page.

Also means I don't have to think up 100 different "When Bloodied" game mechanics.

I agree, but it is costing this dragon more effort (a bonus action) than the standard dragon which can just do them as part of their multiattack action.

True, but I was just thinking its going to use Frightful Presence once at the start of the fight (likely flying in to attack) and then not use it again (unless reinforcements show up).

I read it after I posted, but I don't agree with your approach. Particularly because I don't like your bloodied mechanic and wouldn't use it. So then my statblock under performs.

Mathematically speaking overall it doesn't under-perform. In fact this dragon (even at 4 CR lower), is doing around 50-60% more damage each round.

However, that said, I understand what you mean, the breath weapon is THE iconic dragon breath attack but its 3 points lower.

In my defense if I make it any higher damaging then it gets a bit crazy. In tandem with the Bloodied mechanic* the dragon could ALREADY deal a hypothetical flat 320 fire damage (with no chance of resistance/immunity against fire). Which is 3.5 TIMES the damage of the official Ancient Red Dragon.

*which I know you don't want to use.

Regarding insidious gaze: I am not sure how you figured this into your CR, but I am of the opinion it shouldn't. At this CR/level the monsters need to be able to do the listed damage.

Okay so what's the point of Resistance/Immunity then?

This is the standard mechanic I use for immortals (although they do it automatically if they have the portfolio) to erase immunity/resistance.

Get hit once, Immunity drops to Resistance, get hit twice, lose resistance, get hit third time you are vulnerable to [insert energy type].

I am fine with the dragon having a breath attack that it can use every round, that is something I give my dragons, but not at the cost of having a really powerful breath weapon. The breath weapon is an iconic dragon ability. I already think it is to weak in 5e and you made it weaker. I would like to see how you can make it more impressive, not less so. More weaker attacks just doesn't say "dragon" to me.

Lol, this mere CR 20 Ancient Red Dragon is comparable to a CR 0 House Cat compared to stuff I have in the book.

But lets just look at this breath weapon for a second, it deals 88 damage which is 3 less than the 91 of the official Ancient Red dragon - which cannot attack when it uses its breath weapon.

...and that 88 damage is still greater than every other single attack and breath weapon in the Monster Manual (unless I am missing something).

Test away - always happy to give feedback.

Thanks so much amigo.

PS I forgot to mention that I like the idea of putting Legendary resistances as part of the "Resistances" as opposed to a trait, saves some space.

Cheers buddy - I think there is a bit too much (unnecessary) repeated text in a lot of stat-blocks I see and I am trying to cut as much of that out as possible. Epic gaming is already a bit more complicated, I'm trying to boil it all down to the essentials.

FYI, here is what I did with my Ancient Red Dragon's breath attacks:

Fire Blast. The dragon exhales a ball of fire that streaks to a point of its choice it can see within 160 feet of it, it then explodes into a 10-foot radius ball of flames. Each creature in the area must make DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 27 (5d10) fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Breath Weapons (1/Rest). The dragon uses one of the following breath weapons.
  • Fire Breath. The dragon exhales fire in a 160-foot cone or eight 20-foot-by-20-foot contiguous areas within 80 feet of it. . Each creature in that area must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 115 (21d10) fire damage and be incapacitated until the end of its turn on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, any magic or active spell of 8th level or lower in the area ends.
  • Fire Beam. The dragon exhales a beam of fire in a 220-foot line that is 5 feet wide. The first creature in the line must make a DC 25 Dexterity saving throw, taking 93 (17d10) fire damage plus 93 (17d10) force damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. Additionally, each creature within a 15-foot radius of the initial target must make a DC 27 Dexterity saving throw, taking 11 (2d10) force damage and 11 (2d10) thunder damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature reduced to 0 hit points by this attack dies and is reduced to a pile of ash.
Recharge. The dragon recharges its breath weapon and it can use it on its next turn.

Of course these could be simplified (my dragons are overly complex at the moment).

Your CR 26 dragon: 41 + 17 + 31 + 31 (110) OR 186 fire/force. Averaging 148 or given you need a full round to recharge (which is its own action) your dragons DPR output is reduced to an average 110+186/3 = 98

My CR 20 dragon: 36 + 26, + 24 + 24 (110) PLUS 88 = 198, Averaging 139* (Assuming BW usable once per 3 rounds)

*NB. CR 20 monster damage range listed as 123-140 in the DMG. ;)

So unless I am not understanding your Recharge mechanic (which is a possibility?) my CR 20 dragon seems to be dealing 41% more damage per round than your CR 26 dragon. :p

dave2008

Legend
Your CR 26 dragon: 41 + 17 + 31 + 31 (110) OR 186 fire/force. Averaging 148 or given you need a full round to recharge (which is its own action) your dragons DPR output is reduced to an average 110+186/3 = 98

My CR 20 dragon: 36 + 26, + 24 + 24 (110) PLUS 88 = 198, Averaging 139* (Assuming BW usable once per 3 rounds)

*NB. CR 20 monster damage range listed as 123-140 in the DMG. ;)

So unless I am not understanding your Recharge mechanic (which is a possibility?) my CR 20 dragon seems to be dealing 41% more damage per round than your CR 26 dragon. :p
Actually you completely misunderstood the point as it had nothing to do with comparing DPR. I was simply trying to show how I handled the idea of having an at-will breath weapon (fire blast) and a more powerful traditional breath weapon (with 2 options). That and my dragons breath weapon does 208 damage (vs 88) That can outright kill even high level PCs if they fail a save, and that is what I personally want to see in a dragon's breath weapon.

However, I also didn't give you enough information to calculate my dragons DPR (unless you went to the link). You somehow came up with a DPR of 98 when in reality it is 185, so 33% more damage (which tracks with a 30% increase in CR).

Round 1: fire beam (208) + tail (36) = 244
Round 2: bite (58) + claw (31) + claw (31) + tail (36) = 156
Round 3: bite (58) + claw (31) + claw (31) + tail (36) = 156

DPR: (244 + 156 + 156)/3 = 185.3333

EDIT: To clarify the breath weapon recharge is a separate action. You don't have to take it. If you want to be real nasty, use the breath weapon on a flyby (with strafing) and then fly away and recharge out of range, and repeat until everything is burned to ash.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
That is quite similar but I better change it just to be on the safe side. Thanks.
No worries. It is similar, that is why a I agree a change will prevent some confussion.
The main point to this new Bloodied mechanic is twofold:

1. Eliminate those encounters where the PCs know they will win the battle and are just going through the motions, with the monster now doing MAX damage it gives them a new problem to worry about.
2. Replicate that "a tiger is at its most dangerous when boxed into a corner" mentality.
I get the idea, but it is not a problem I personally feel I need a general rule on.
Okay so what's the point of Resistance/Immunity then?
To be clear, I am saying a monster should have a method to overcome the PCs resistance / immunity to main attack. Not all attacks. If a monsters threat level depends on its fire attacks, it should have a method to ensure that damage gets through, generally speaking. It seems you agree as you also gave the dragon a method to overcome fire immunity and resistance.

It is a strange thing when your talking immortal levels I agree. I was looking at this from a mortal perspective as this is something mortal PCs could tackle. I am handling it a different way in my immortals game. An immortal of a higher tier downgrades a creatures resistance or immunity by one step for each tier it is above. So a greater god ignores the resistances of an intermediate god and the immunities of lesser god.

But lets just look at this breath weapon for a second, it deals 88 damage which is 3 less than the 91 of the official Ancient Red dragon - which cannot attack when it uses its breath weapon.
I wouldn't try to compare yourself to the MM. And I am less interested in DPR because...
...and that 88 damage is still greater than every other single attack and breath weapon in the Monster Manual (unless I am missing something).
...it is weak sauce to a level 20 fighter with 200+ hit points. The breath weapon should be kickass deadly IMO. Now, I agree you get there with your bloodied mechanic, which is awesome, but as I have said before I have issues that mechanic (which I won't go into here). I think it works with your design holistically, I just don't like that it relies on your bloodied mechanic.
Thanks so much amigo.
Your welcome. I enjoy the discussion.

dave2008

Legend
One more thing, I thought you might like this from my Great Wyrm Red Dragon:

Breath Weapons (1/Rest). The dragon uses one of the following breath weapons. Additionally, targets that fail their saving throw by 10 or more (DC 17) take maximum damage from these attacks.

That means on a "critical" failure of the save the target will take 540 damage form the Fire Beam.

Hey buddy, thanks so much for the continued feedback.

Actually you completely misunderstood the point as it had nothing to do with comparing DPR. I was simply trying to show how I handled the idea of having an at-will breath weapon (fire blast) and a more powerful traditional breath weapon (with 2 options). That and my dragons breath weapon does 208 damage (vs 88) That can outright kill even high level PCs if they fail a save, and that is what I personally want to see in a dragon's breath weapon.

However, I also didn't give you enough information to calculate my dragons DPR (unless you went to the link). You somehow came up with a DPR of 98 when in reality it is 185, so 33% more damage (which tracks with a 30% increase in CR).

I did go the link but it was after midnight and I made a few mistakes.

Your dragon's base damage is 120 (I miscounted it as 110 last night). I don't factor Legendary Abilities though so I removed that for the purpose of this argument - both of us have a tail attack, yours deals 8 more damage.

Incidentally at CR 26 your dragon should be dealing 81% more damage, not just 30%.

Round 1: fire beam (208) + tail (36) = 244
Round 2: bite (58) + claw (31) + claw (31) + tail (36) = 156
Round 3: bite (58) + claw (31) + claw (31) + tail (36) = 156

DPR: (244 + 156 + 156)/3 = 185.3333

EDIT: To clarify the breath weapon recharge is a separate action. You don't have to take it. If you want to be real nasty, use the breath weapon on a flyby (with strafing) and then fly away and recharge out of range, and repeat until everything is burned to ash.

But the exact mechanics of the beam attack recharge confuses me.

As I see it. The dragon can either attack (melee) OR use its breath attack. The Recharge Action (to recharge the breath weapon is a full round action).

So
R1: Beam Breath (+ Tail)
R2: Physical attacks (+ Tail)
R3: EITHER Physical Attacks OR use the Recharge Action (+ tail)
R4: EITHER Physical Attacks OR use Beam Breath IF it used Recharge in R3

So your DPR could average 185 over 3 rounds. But if it wants to use its breath again in the fight technically it takes a full round of the dragon doing next to nothing.

Also I am not counting that extra 2d10/2d10 blast echo since it doesn't hit the original target. That's a false inflation of the original damage.

So before factoring Legendary Abilities your dragon has a DPR of 142 (Beam + Melee + Melee) over 3 rounds. But if it goes Beam + Melee + Recharge + Beam then the DPR is 123 over 4 rounds. Contrasted with my dragons DPR of 139 over 3 rounds.

Mechanically I don't think there is necessarily one way that's better, however, I am not a massive fan of rounds where monsters don't do anything. I would say my dragon would be more entertaining against a party that were lower level to it - whereas your dragon (if we codensed a few things) might be more fun if the party (of immortals) were equal to or greater than it.

One more thing, I thought you might like this from my Great Wyrm Red Dragon:

Breath Weapons (1/Rest). The dragon uses one of the following breath weapons. Additionally, targets that fail their saving throw by 10 or more (DC 17) take maximum damage from these attacks.

That means on a "critical" failure of the save the target will take 540 damage form the Fire Beam.

I like the idea of extra detrimental effects on badly failed saves and the damage is still balanced.

I don't like the idea that everything at epic needs to be dealing 50% Force Damage (and I did the exact same thing in 3.5 with everything dealing half divine damage - so I know exactly where you are coming from). I do think this new idea of mine...lets call it "Resistance is Futile" is a bit more interesting and again (as with the Bloodied mechanic) UPS THE ANTE as the fight progresses, meaning fights are no longer linear.

I'll reply to your other post a bit later amigo, need to get some dinner here.

Remove ads