• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Immortals Handbook - Grimoire (Artifacts, Epic Magic discussion)

jedrious said:
I'd put them at a pl of at least 200 (1pl per dvine rank of power emulated, and since Time Lords are the first thing that really deals with Universal Power and are DR 200)

I thought Kardashev Type V (PL 14) made a civilization equivalent to a time lord? I got that from the website though (www.immortalshandbook.com/freestuff1.htm), and that chart is somewhat messed up. According to that table, Earth (a PL 5 civilization) is only Kardashev 0.5, when Earth should really be Kardashev 0.7. Because of this discrepancy, the other examples in the table are a bit off.

To clear up this problem, I just need to ask: should the entire planet of Earth (PL 5) be equivalent to a hero-deity, a quasi-deity, or a demi-deity?

Hiya mate! :)

Adslahnit said:
I thought Kardashev Type V (PL 14) made a civilization equivalent to a time lord? I got that from the website though (www.immortalshandbook.com/freestuff1.htm), and that chart is somewhat messed up. According to that table, Earth (a PL 5 civilization) is only Kardashev 0.5, when Earth should really be Kardashev 0.7. Because of this discrepancy, the other examples in the table are a bit off.

Yes when I find the time I'll fix that.

Adslahnit said:
To clear up this problem, I just need to ask: should the entire planet of Earth (PL 5) be equivalent to a hero-deity, a quasi-deity, or a demi-deity?

I don't think its as simple as that (although I tried to make it that simple).

I don't so much think its necessarily a when is my tech equal to your magic question as it is so much a damage output question.

I need a spell level evaluation for a particular spell called "Earth in a Pot". What the spell basically did was shunt the entire Earth into a demiplane and create a massive illusion of the moon for the Earth inside said demiplane.

The people on Earth could send expeditions to this fake moon and even land on it, and all but the most perceptive and strong-willed of immortals could see through the illusion. However, this illusionary moon was completely lifeless (the moon in the setting was populated, you see).

Meanwhile on the real Prime Material Plane, people on the moon could see a life-like illusion of the Earth. They could land on this illusionary body as well, but the whole planet was likewise completely lifeless.

So to sum it up, the spell did three things: (1) it transferred the Earth into a demiplane, (2) it created an illusion of a lifeless moon inside the demiplane, and (3) it created an illusion of a lifeless Earth in the Prime Material Plane. The spell was created and cast in order to stall a war between the Earth and the moon, which the caster and her colleagues were trying to stop.

A more powerful version called "Galaxy in a Pot" was mentioned but not actually cast, which would presumably shunt an entire galaxy into a demiplane and create a galaxy-sized illusion in its place.

Now what level of spell would "Earth in a Pot" be, and what would be the minimum level required to cast it? Likewise, what level of spell would "Galaxy in a Pot" be, and what would be its minimum level required to cast it?

EDIT: I should add that the duration of the spell would have been permanent had the caster not dismissed it.

Last edited:

mercucio said:
Sounds like a world-spanning Mirage Arcane spell.

In addition to a world-spanning Genesis and a world-spanning Plane Shift.

Also, I don't really like the name "Earth in a Pot", but that was the name it was given and there's nothing I can do about it. It's supposedly named after a certain Chinese legend wherein a military officer finds a paradise inside an old man's pot.

Hey Adslahnit matey! :)

Adslahnit said:
In addition to a world-spanning Genesis and a world-spanning Plane Shift.

Also, I don't really like the name "Earth in a Pot", but that was the name it was given and there's nothing I can do about it. It's supposedly named after a certain Chinese legend wherein a military officer finds a paradise inside an old man's pot.

The name Earth in a Pot sounds pretty cool and unusual.

As for world-spanning spells. What you need to do is apply metamagic to spells to get the required area of effect.

Instead of a double-double being a triple make a double-double a quadruple.

Upper_Krust said:
The name Earth in a Pot sounds pretty cool and unusual.

The full name of the spell was Spacesphere: "Earth in a Pot", actually. I guess it works as a nice metaphor if you consider the demiplane to be a "pot" into which the planet goes into.

Upper_Krust said:
As for world-spanning spells. What you need to do is apply metamagic to spells to get the required area of effect.

So a Widened Genesis, a Widened Plane Shift, a Widened Mirage Arcana (for the illusionary moon), and another Widened Mirage Arcana (for the illusionary Earth).

Does casting range still need to be taken into account? I'd imagine that it would be difficult to create a Mirage Arcana out to the distance of the moon if you're standing on the Earth's surface.

Upper_Krust said:
Instead of a double-double being a triple make a double-double a quadruple.

Is that going to be a standard rule in Grimoire? More importantly, does that rule apply to Empower and Maximize as well? If so, then an Empowered x20 Delayed Blast Fireball would do 66,505d6 fire damage (1.5^20 * 20d6).

Hello again! :)

Adslahnit said:
So a Widened Genesis, a Widened Plane Shift, a Widened Mirage Arcana (for the illusionary moon), and another Widened Mirage Arcana (for the illusionary Earth).

More likely you create a new spell that does the genesis + plane shift + mirage arcana (twice) then use multiple widens on it.

Does casting range still need to be taken into account? I'd imagine that it would be difficult to create a Mirage Arcana out to the distance of the moon if you're standing on the Earth's surface.

There should probably be a modifier for range = sight, possibly doubling of the spell level, as opposed to a bonus (since its an absolute).

Is that going to be a standard rule in Grimoire?

Its about 90% likely at this time.

More importantly, does that rule apply to Empower and Maximize as well? If so, then an Empowered x20 Delayed Blast Fireball would do 66,505d6 fire damage (1.5^20 * 20d6).

Yep.

Upper_Krust said:

Wait, with Automatic Metamagic Capacity x60: An Empowered x30 Meteor Swarm would do a total of 1,534,008d6 bludgeoing damage (1.5^30 * 4 * 2d6) and 4,602,025d6 (1.5^30 * 4 * 6d6) fire damage. An Empowered x30 Energy Drain would inflict 383,502d4 (1.5^30 * 2d4) negative levels upon a successful ranged touch attack with no saving throw.. An Empowered x30 Power Word Kill would instantly slay any creature with 19,175,105 hit points or less (1.5^30 * 100) with no saving throw.

With Automatic Metamagic Capacity x100: An Empowered x50 Meteor Swarm would do a total of 5,100,972,001d6 bludgeoning damage (1.5^50 * 4 * 2d6) and 15,302,916,005d6 fire damage (1.5^50 * 4 * 6d6). An Empowered x50 Energy Drain would inflict 1,275,243,000d4 (1.5^50 * 2d4) negative levels. An Empowered x50 Power Word Kill would instantly slay any creature with 63,762,150,021 hit points or less (1.5^50 * 100).

Don't you think that's a bit overpowered?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads