D&D General IMO, Alignment should be "Fill in the blank"

Aldarc

Legend
Having alignment actually reflect where your character's interests align as in what side you're on and what you're fighting for? Fits with where this whole thing was meant to work back in the day.

Not having it wrapped up in moralizing baggage? A bold and worthwhile step forward from where things slipped in the intervening editions.

I mean it's basically Allegiances from d20 Modern, which was already 'Alignment if it was good', but it's good to still see it alive and well.
If Alignment had the sort of mechanical meat that involved either the Icons in 13th Age or Piety in Theros (reflecting cosmological allegiences to Goodness or Evil), then I would find that more interesting than its lukewarm moral compass nonsense. Alignment in its current form feels a little too much like "crap or get off the pot." I would rather it be gone entirely and replaced with something more straightforward, like Allegiances or Motives.

Oofta

Legend
If Alignment had the sort of mechanical meat that involved either the Icons in 13th Age or Piety in Theros (reflecting cosmological allegiences to Goodness or Evil), then I would find that more interesting than its lukewarm moral compass nonsense. Alignment in its current form feels a little too much like "crap or get off the pot." I would rather it be gone entirely and replaced with something more straightforward, like Allegiances or Motives.
Allegiances only make sense where there are established groups and organizations, something to have allegiance to, in every campaign. You need an overriding campaign setting that D&D doesn't have. We have motives in TIBF.

Remove ads