• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IMPORTANT! Should EN World continue reporting RPG news?

Do you read the news page?

• I read the news page

Votes: 258 70.1%
  • I don't read the news page

Votes: 110 29.9%

the-golem

Explorer
For me, the news is the first thing I look at each day when I come to the site, so I can keep informed without having to check several sites. It has been nice to come to one place to get a sizable chunk of what is going on.

While the loss of the news page would be like losing the local newspaper for me, I can certainly understand how clearing up those few hours a day can help to get other things accomplished.

This. I visit enworld like, ALL THE TIME. Half the stuff I discover, it's because I read about it on the enworld news. Hmmmm. Keeping the news updated would be easier if you could just echo an RSS feed or something.

(( The only other news I get is from Erik Mona's facebook postings. I blame him for getting me hooked on DisneyXD Avengers. :cool: )).

Anyway, my vote is for keeping it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There is a news page? Now that I know, I might read it regularly. if I can find it.

Maybe whats really needed is to advertise it more. Or maybe I'm just blind - which happens not too rarely on web pages I visit a lot.

Edit: Checked up on the news forum; it was easy to find once I looked.

To clarify, I'm not referring to a forum. I'm referring to the site's front page.

wedgeski

Adventurer
The news page was certainly why I started coming to ENW, but it's the forums that have kept me here. I keep up with the news page only insofar as I read the newsletter every week, but I certainly don't visit the homepage much to speak of.

The question is really, what's worth reporting? The two big RPG's are established and in-gear, there's no real scoops to be had there. The 3rd party scene is limp at best with the odd exciting morsel which could as easily be a sticky on the General forum. Product announcements aren't news, but are obviously of a lot of value to many folks here so should probably still have a place somewhere.

I dunno. It's hard to be objective on this, to be honest.

delericho

Legend
I read the news page every couple of days.

However, to be honest, at the moment, I wouldn't miss it all that much.

However, when WotC and/or Paizo announce their new editions, I would hope the news would become a lot more interesting, and I wouldn't want to be without the news page then.

So, I would say that if it's a choice between "keeping it forever" or "losing it forever", then I say keep it. If, however, the choice is between "keeping it forever" or "putting it on hiatus until the new edition(s)", then the latter is probably the better choice.

Ahnehnois

First Post
My link is directly to the forums. I used to read the news sometimes, but there isn't much there that interests me anymore. To clarify, once WotC stopped making 3rd edition D&D I stopped caring about their news, and to the small extent that I care about other new releases I get that information elsewhere. Now I come to discuss general rpg issues, address esoteric rules questions, or vote in random polls.

Cor Azer

First Post
I voted for "don't read", but that's somewhat inaccurate.

I suspect I load the main page everyday (at least every second day). It's part of my surfing habits that I open about 4 tabs with enworld and several subforums in them, before I pick out the specific threads I want to read.

For the main page itself though, I generally just quickly skim it. Product announcements aren't overly interesting to me, so I tend to check if there are any analytical pieces there (not often, but they do crop up occasionally).

I don't have an emotional investment in the news page, because I suspect those infrequent "analytical pieces" would just bump over into the general forum.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Like a lot of others, I found Eric's old site when looking for news on the then upcoming 3e. I read it religiously for a while, but by the time Eric's site had evolved into ENWorld I had stopped reading it.

When something important happens, it will reach the forums. Of course, usually with a link to the news page, so...

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
I've been watching the news page longer than I've been reading the forum, and much longer than I've been a member.

But I do have to say that I've been using it less and less the past two or three years.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads