Improved Buckler Defense ?

The Madhatter

First Post
In the Complete Warrior there is a feat called "Improved Buckler Defense" and it allows you to keep your buckler AC bonus if you attack with your off hand. I was wondering does a character get to keep his buckler's ac if he is using a two handed weapon (Greataxe)? If not is there a seperate feat for that?

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... well technically you are attacking with a weapon (that is also) in your off-hand. ;)

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to allow this, really.

Remember, you still get an attack penalty, if you use a buckler this way.

Bye
Thanee

Prism

Explorer
Its a little unclear. If you read the benefit section of the feat it refers to any weapon in your off hand, which covers a two handed weapon. If you read the feat description it talks about an off hand weapon which I suppose doesn't include a two handed weapon

Personally I'd let it work

Liquidsabre

Explorer
The text reads: "When you attack with a weapon in your off-hand..."

A two-handed weapon wielder is not attacking with a weapon in their off-hand but are attacking with a weapon in both hands, so Improved Buckler Defense won't work for them. Great for those two-weapon fighting types that opt out of the TWD feat tree.

Zodar

First Post
Yeah, I know how you feel. My two-weapon fighter had an admantine buckler with medium fortification on it. Saved him from crit or 2, too. But it didn't save him from that failed massive damage save....

Iku Rex

Explorer
Liquidsabre said:
A two-handed weapon wielder is not attacking with a weapon in their off-hand but are attacking with a weapon in both hands
Who says it has to be either-or?

When using a 2-handed weapon you're using your off-hand to help wield the weapon. Thus, you are attacking with a weapon in your off hand.

(This is all pretty clear from the buckler description in the PH. Your interpretation actually removes the need for IBD completely, as you only loose the AC bonus from the buckler if you "use a weapon in your off hand".)

Buckler: This small metal shield is worn strapped to your forearm. You can use a bow or crossbow without penalty while carrying it. You can also use your shield arm to wield a weapon (whether you are using an off-hand weapon or using your off hand to help wield a two-handed weapon), but you take a –1 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. This penalty stacks with those that may apply for fighting with your off hand and for fighting with two weapons. In any case, if you use a weapon in your off hand, you don’t get the buckler’s AC bonus for the rest of the round.

Remove ads