• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Improving the Quarterstaff

Gimby

Explorer
Tetsubo said:
I've used the Special Effects rule myself in the past. For example: using the two-bladed Sword mechanics but changing the description to a longer shaft and shorter blades and changing the name to Bladed Staff. I also used the Dire Flail mechanics and changed the description to a length of chain with blunt weights at the ends.

But in this instance I am trying to emulate a warrior that actually uses a plain wooden staff. One that could be destroyed and created anew without issue.

How about using the Spiked Chain mechanics with this principle? They seem to give most of what you are looking for from your OP.

cheaper to boot

While true, the real costs for weapons (masterwork or magical) are flat costs, beyond level one (or chargen even) the costs of mundane weaponry become minor. That's not really a big worry.

Last edited:

s-dub

First Post
It's possible that Complete Warrior has what you need. With a minimum of tweaking you could use the Exotic Weapon Master (I don't know if it as written you can use a non-exotic weapon as the base weapon). They get "weapon stunts" that can simulate most of what you need.

There's also a staff feat or two in CW that you might enjoy.

Tyonisius

First Post
Lots of great ideas given so far, but I'm thinking about making a base class (or PrC, haven't decided) based upon the idea of Peasant Hero... I think it would be fun and a good laugh. I think it also might be the most creative way to go about it. So thats my vote, PrC or Base Class (probably base class).

Remove ads