• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E In 4E Asmodeus will be a god!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Shoju

First Post
MadMaxim said:
That's seriously going to mess up the Nine Hells. How are any of the other arch-devils ever going to rise to the top through scheming and power struggles if the big boss is a god? The other arch-devils are sure to be seriously put in their place for good. I hope they don't do the same thing to some of the demon lords. They're fine in their current state.

I would suspect he will leave the 9 Hells to become a god, and a gigantic power struggle will ensue to fill the void. I think that could prove to be cool.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Darth Shoju said:
I would suspect he will leave the 9 Hells to become a god, and a gigantic power struggle will ensue to fill the void. I think that could prove to be cool.
Sorry, but if Asmodeus is not in his Hell, then all's not right with the world.

Cheers, -- N

Rangoric

First Post
MadMaxim said:
That's seriously going to mess up the Nine Hells. How are any of the other arch-devils ever going to rise to the top through scheming and power struggles if the big boss is a god? The other arch-devils are sure to be seriously put in their place for good. I hope they don't do the same thing to some of the demon lords. They're fine in their current state.

Actually... The other Devils and Demons are going to see the awesome power that being the top dog gives.

And they are going to want some. God Killing and Toppling isn't just for PCs anymore :)
I've been having it play out like this in my campaign world for some time now.

Its fun when the PCs march into a nice little cult gathering to topple the evil priest.

When all of a sudden the place gets invaded by the ursurper's minions.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
The 1e Deities and Demi-gods had a list or Arch-Devils and the Demon Lords/Princes (which happened to be all that were in print from the 1st MM) were equal to lessor gods and could grant spells to clerics. Being lessor gods they could grant up to 6th level spells. Greater gods could grant 7th while demi-gods could only grant up to 5th.

Not that it ever came up in my games in which I ever played or DMed since 2e came out but I would have continued that, to me it was never a big deal.

So IMO this is bringing Asmodeus back to his 1e roots in which he was at least equal to a lessor god and should be treated as one.

Glyfair said:
Then again, I feel deities should be killable as well.

I'm not saying it should be easy, or even common. However, the "untouchable gods" doesn't fit my taste. Too many mythologies operate under the idea that the gods are vulnerable to mortals.
I agree. This is a fantasy game afterall and PC's should have to ability to reach as high as their DM will allow and if that is displacing their gods and taking their place then so be it.

Kaodi

Hero
I can't say that it makes me happy, but in the context of Asmodeus being one half of the Great Serpent it makes a certain kind of sense. His counterpart, the other half, was a god of the couatl.

Aloïsius

First Post
I guess most DM don't care about what is done with Asmodeus in a non-existent setting. Remember, this is NOT Greyhawk.

Doesnt bother me any. Im a christian gamer too and I have stated up Lucifer and a number of Fallen Angels and demons myself. Personally the Arch-Fiends never seemed very powerful and Ive run a few combats of them versus Gods and they never even scratch the Gods. Im glad Asmodeus Will finally live up to what has alwaysd been implied by the Arch-Fiends.

LoneWolf23

First Post
Asmodeus would hardly be the first Arch-Fiend to get promoted to deity status...

Lolth started out as a Demon Princess back in OD&D, didn't she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads