In creating a new spell casting class, have questions about hp, AC balance

Marta

First Post
If I take the basic sorcerer (or wizard) class and divide it into two categories and give one group a +2 natural AC bonus,what should I give the other in terms of hp?

Malin Genie

First Post
May I ask *why* you are making this change?

In balance terms, it's not easy to trade off AC for hp, as the relative impact of each depends a lot on the class''s other abilities. In most cases of spellcasting PrCs I have seen, better armour and hp tended to go together and be traded off against spellcasting ability.

The obvious answer is +2 AC <-> d6 hd. But IMHO +2 AC is a big bonus (especially considering that as natural armour it stacks with Dex bonus, Mage Armour and Shield spells!) and it should be reduced to +1 AC.

But on the flip side, Spellcasters will never have much AC anyway, and at high levels a +2 natural armor bonus won't matter a bit against the +34/29/24/19 Fighter, while the extra 20 hp (on average) will mean something.

Also, giving one class a base +2 to AC will mean the powergaming munchkins take one level for the AC bonus and go on their merry way. The closest thing is the Monk's Wisdom bonus, and they lose that when they wear armor.

Remove ads