• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) In Interview with GamesRadar, Chris Perkins Discusses New Books

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I think people want to see the books to judge for themselves, rather than believing marketing spin just because the corporate spokesperson said the same thing in X number of interviews.
argument.. chris Perkins is the public face of D&D. You can't expect to hear anything from him that isn't what WotC's marketing department wants him to say.

The proof is in the paper.

Micah Sweet

Id say the more interesting commentary is around his desire for less options.
Nothing in that press release was what I would have wanted to hear from a representative of Dungeons & Dragons. WotC has moved in more or less the opposite direction from what I want from the game.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
If there’s doubt, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t give Perkins the benefit of that doubt?
Why assume he doesn’t understand?
Let me put it this way.

I've been asked to give WotC the benefit of the doubt when it comes to game design for more than a decade now.

I have been burned nearly 100% of the time when doing so.

In such an economy, doubt benefits have been subject to substantial and unavoidable austerity measures.

On an aside I’ve always liked Perkin’s manner. Ever since watching the first Dice Camera Action he has a directness and candor but is also seems a nice guy.
I have no problem with Mr. Perkins as a person, indeed I think very highly of him as a DM. That he would push for even fewer than 12 classes if he had the chance to re-do 5e back in 2014 is deeply discouraging though.

Micah Sweet

The fact that 5E is the best selling version ever is all that really matters. They don't, and can't, know all the reasons behind it. Nobody can. All they can do is hope they don't upset the apple cart and continue to have a successful game. It's impossible to have perfect market research, all they can do is poke around a bit. Expecting anything else is folly.
Continuing to make sure 5e makes then as much money as possible is the only thing that matters, yes...to them.

TheSword

Legend
Let me put it this way.

I've been asked to give WotC the benefit of the doubt when it comes to game design for more than a decade now.

In such an economy, doubt benefits have been subject to substantial and unavoidable austerity measures.
The guy isn’t WotC just sharing some thoughts about the books he’s writing.
Chris Perkins didn’t burn you.
So I’m saying the benefit of the doubt is the fair thing to do.

But what I see just stands as further evidence of toxic fandom.

Let me put it this way.

Maybe try a different game?
Context?
I have no problem with Mr. Perkins as a person, indeed I think very highly of him as a DM.
Does not look that way.
That he would push for even fewer than 12 classes if he had the chance to re-do 5e back in 2014 is deeply discouraging though.
Try a different game, where you have 20 classes...

Nothing in that press release was what I would have wanted to hear from a representative of Dungeons & Dragons. WotC has moved in more or less the opposite direction from what I want from the game.
So that is your chance to look out for something different. Something more worth for less money. I guess there is the perfect indie game for you out there.

Oofta

Legend
Let me put it this way.

I have no problem with Mr. Perkins as a person, indeed I think very highly of him as a DM. That he would push for even fewer than 12 classes if he had the chance to re-do 5e back in 2014 is deeply discouraging though.

It sucks for you that you didn't get the game you want. Personally? I'm glad because as far as I can tell I wouldn't want to play that game and neither would my wife. You can't please everyone and I'm sorry you feel "burned". But millions of people seem to disagree with you, I know I do.

Remove ads