D&D 5E Inappropriate breasts on female monsters

StooNasty

First Post
Don't care. If a cheeseburger had boobs I'd get over it. If I can accept a floating eye that shoots lasers I can accept a Minotaur with D-cups.

transtemporal

Explorer
Why would Minotaur have udders? They only have bovine heads, and possibly legs depending on the artist. Their torso's are human. Do you think they have four stomachs and are herbivores as well?

Also, have you seen those versions of minotaurs that actually look like cows? They look terrible.

Cool Minotaur
http://guides.gamepressure.com/mightandmagicheroesvishadesofdarkness/gfx/word/166834255.jpg

Bad Minotaur
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/023/d/2/wip_minotaur_by_butterfrog-d5qry1x.jpg

But yes OP, I generally agree with you. It would be weird if Thri-kreen female turned up with breasts for example.

Li Shenron

Legend
All she's saying is that giving female members of non-human species breasts helps them appeal to the majority of female gamers who do have breasts and can therefore relate to them more easily.

This is really unconvincing to me.

- I don't see why every character race needs to tread the same ground. One of the big advantages of fantasy is that the game (and settings) can explore all sorts of weird and wonderful options.

- I find that an awful lot of D&D's races are closer to "humans with funny noses" than anything more exotic. Anything that takes away from that is a good thing, IMO.

Putting the gender stereotypes issue aside, this pretty much nails the rest of it for me. Since my early days with RPG I've felt a lot of value in the idea of trying to play even elves and dwarves differently from humans with mere pointy ears and short stature. I understand that some people aren't interested in the roleplaying aspects but prefer to see e.g. elves as a +2 Dex stat block, which IMO is a different but fully intelligent way to play characters in a game, and it is not the point here. Less so, people who choose fantasy characters but fail to make them fantastic at all. If it's players' choice then it's not an issue (and it certainly isn't easy! for instance, how can you really imagine how a creature that lives 1000 of years would think and feel about life?), but I do expect that serious designers will take RPGing seriously, and see value in the diversity of different roleplaying experiences. Making all creatures roleplay the same is indeed a form of dumbing-down the game, although having creatures look as human as possible is only part of that process.

aramis erak

Legend
Also, have you seen those versions of minotaurs that actually look like cows? They look terrible.

Cool Minotaur
http://guides.gamepressure.com/mightandmagicheroesvishadesofdarkness/gfx/word/166834255.jpg

Bad Minotaur
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/023/d/2/wip_minotaur_by_butterfrog-d5qry1x.jpg

But yes OP, I generally agree with you. It would be weird if Thri-kreen female turned up with breasts for example.

As far as I'm concerned, you labeled those backwards.

Now, I went and asked my wife - a rather buxom woman, she is, too... and her response is to indicate she'd rather not see "dragonboobs" nor equivalent. When I asked udders or human-style mammaries on female minotaurs, she had no opinion.

Ragmon

Explorer
Hi all, just adding my 2 copper pieces to this thread.

First of all. Leave the female/male BS at the door, and lets move on to something much more sensible for this thread.

BIOLOGY.

Lets go with the basics.
  • If a creatures young don't suckle ofter being born then there is no need for breasts nor nipples.
  • If a creature gives birth to suckling young then:
    • Does it give birth to a bunch of young? More nipples/breasts.
    • Does it give birth to only a few or singular young? Then A pair will do.
    • Variants may include marsupials.
  • Talking about marsupials, another major variant is the duck-billed-platypus. Birth via egg then suckling.

Now since humans are animals and assuming D&D's naturally evolved races are the same, then the above mentioned logic should apply.

Thus:
  • No breast for lizard folk, shaugin, mind-flayers, gripply, koa-toa... and other reptilian and amphibian and fish people.
  • If lets say catfolk give birth to a litter then it would make sense for the female to have multiple nipples.
  • Dragonborn, depends, if they suckle their young then breasts make sense.
  • Created races...depends on what the creator intended.
  • Minotaur, its not the race originally, it was born as a deformed man. But it evolved slowly into a race of its own in fantasy games. Just use the Tauren from Warcraft if you want to use a minotaur race.

Again, a bit of science makes sense of it all, then you discover that the platypus exists and messes up conventional biology. :D

In adition: A non-human race might/should idealise other characteristics as appealing/sexual. For instance a race in Guild Wars 2 named the Asura, idealize ears the bigger the better.
Or maybe brighter and/or more varied colored scales of a lizardfolk.

As a bonus, during the development of Guild Wars 2, there was an interesting debate about a humanoid cat-like race called the Charr. More specifically should it have human breasts or cat-like nipples/breasts. In the end this is what they came up with:

ArenaNet guy:
"Finally, there was the matter of the chest. It really didn’t make any sense to have boobs on a charr female, particularly with all the effort we took to make her sleek and fierce. We thought they should have no breasts at all or at least hide them under some fluffy fur. Above all else, we needed to be true to the race, of course! There was still some debate, however, so I gave them a choice: either be subtle and downplay the breasts (it wasn’t a point of the race, anyway) or go full-on realistic. Yes, that’s right —none or six!! But really, the armor augmentation required for six boobs would be just as ridiculous, so none it was!"

bechdel.jpg

- these are both female charrs.

In closing:
  • Use science and common sense as much as possible.
  • Be creative, humans are one of many races in D&D,thus human ideals won't exist in other races, heh, not even other human societies idealize the same thing.

Sage Genesis

First Post
I think dragons should be drawn gender neutral making it hard to tell just what sex they are. I feel that way about most lizard type creatures. Now if they are humanoids or mammals that is different.

But that is part of the enjoyment having discussions like should dragons have boobs.

In my world dragons for example don't have gender they are magical creatures and reproduce magically.

I also like the idea that monsters don't necessarily conform to human standards which is why I prefer no dragon boobs.

Ok I got to ask... you are aware that when people here talk about "dragon boobs" they're talking about the females of dragonborn, a humanoid PC species? And not actual dragons? I'm pretty sure no edition of D&D gave boobs to actual dragons and nobody here argued that it should be otherwise.

SoulsFury

Explorer

Cool Minotaur

Bad Minotaur

I also think you got those a bit backwards. The first one looks like a hairy demon minotaur, or maybe WoW and Mr. T collaborated to create it. The second looks like a minotaur.

The real question is: Why has no one ever seen a dragon with back? I mean, don't you guys fantasize about Tiamat with a lot of junk in the trunk? How many boobs does a five headed dragon have? 10? 6? 2? You are worried about a dragonborn with boobies when there are far more pressing matters.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Heh, the issue of dragonboobs came up at our then-all-female table (except for me, the DM) during a session a while back, when one of the girls decided to make her new character a dragonborn. I brought up, in passing, the debate about dragonboobs. (My position pretty much mirrors [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] upthread.) I didn't intend to make it into a thing.

One of the players became annoyed at the idea of "nerds never let girls have anything fun" (fun = boobs, in this case). Another of the players meanwhile found the very idea of dragonboobs downright sexist. Then they argued about which was more sexist for a while. Several points from this thread came up.

I remained silent, at first amused, but soon regretting having brought it up. Then I realizes that the player who actually wanted to play a dragonborn wasn't participating in the argument. Turns out she didn't have many thoughts on the subject, remained non-committal to what was or wasn't sexist, but she'd like her lizard to have boobs. Like in the pictures. So her lizard-witch had boobs that never got mentioned again.

What struck me was that they both made a pretty good case for sexism.

Thank Dog

Banned
Banned
I want to know why I am not represented in pictures of male fantasy figures. I, like 1 in every 18 other males on the planet, have a condition known as polythelia. I feel that this lack of realistic character art is discriminatory and illogical.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases