• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Info on Hero Points

Zarthon

Explorer
Greetings all,

I have been thinking about using a Hero Points system in my D&D game for some time now, the following text in italics is something I found somewhere on the net (I think:confused:)

If any of you use Hero points what do you think of it?

EDIT: I had originally posted the Hero Points system found here. I would like to apologize to Master of the Game for posting them without his permission.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
That system (and I mean the one you have particularly presented) looks potentially unbalancing. You might want to ease into it if you run a balanced game now. I'd suugest that you only give one hero point per session to one player who does something heroic, then allow those points to be used for only transient things, like adjusting a single, in-game die roll by one (whether their own die roll or another player's, or yours!) Allowing them to be "spent" on things that permanently effect the game, or repeatedly, leads to a cumulative unbalancing that you will be hard-pressed to reverse, IMO. :)

Zarthon

Explorer
Mark said:
That system (and I mean the one you have particularly presented) looks potentially unbalancing. You might want to ease into it if you run a balanced game now. I'd suugest that you only give one hero point per session to one player who does something heroic, then allow those points to be used for only transient things, like adjusting a single, in-game die roll by one (whether their own die roll or another player's, or yours!) Allowing them to be "spent" on things that permanently effect the game, or repeatedly, leads to a cumulative unbalancing that you will be hard-pressed to reverse, IMO. :)

Come to think of it, I agree with you on this particular system been unbalancing, I'll have to have a sit down with my co-DM and go through it.

Do you know where I could find some other systems?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Zarthon said:
Do you know where I could find some other systems?

I'm afraid that I don't. That system pretty much covers the whole idea, though. I do not think you will find anything outrageously different in others. The only real difference is in application and scaling, which is something that only you and your co-DM can handle. Again, my only caution is to add things in small measures. It is easy to add more; it is difficult to repeal, IMO.

Zarthon

Explorer
Mark said:

I'm afraid that I don't. That system pretty much covers the whole idea, though. I do not think you will find anything outrageously different in others. The only real difference is in application and scaling, which is something that only you and your co-DM can handle. Again, my only caution is to add things in small measures. It is easy to add more; it is difficult to repeal, IMO.

Thanks for the advice Mark

It's funny, but I can tell you exactly where you found it on the net.

On my website. Here

I put it up a long time ago for my players. It may seem a bit unbalancing, but you just have to control how many are given out. I've never had a character gain enough for a new feat in the three years I've used this system.

BTW, the main adress for my site is www.geocities.com/jeramyware

Richards

Legend
I know that Dr. Midnight uses a similar system, although he calls his "brownie points." You can read all about them on the "House Rules" page of his "Knights of Spellforge Keep" campaign website, conveniently found by clicking HERE. (Scroll down the screen a little and you'll find the "brownie points" section.)

Johnathan

Zarthon

Explorer
I got d20 Modern today and I quite like the action points system in it, I think I may adjust it slightly (add an auto stabilize, etc...) and try using it

Neowolf

First Post
Two sources you might want to check out:

1. Spycraft's "Action Dice" system

2. Mutants & Masterminds's Hero Points system

Both seem fairly well-balanced IMO.

Remove ads