Inquisitive 17 / (What) 3?

collin

Explorer
Honestly, you're right, bard would be the most obvious choice. I used to not like them, either, but I have to admit they've grown on me quite a bit.

As an alternative, I like the urban ranger theme with an inquisitive.

gyor

Legend
You could take the ritual casting cleric feat as an alternative to bring a Cleric, it's got good divinations spells plus a few other utility spells, but doesn't require you worship a God by AL rules.

That way you can get 20 levels of Rogue, but still kind of multiclass without actually having to take levels in another class.

Tazawa

Adventurer
I think you should consider a trickery domain cleric. They multi-class very well with rogues and three levels would give:
- 3 cleric cantrips, entire cleric spell list known
- 4 1st level, 2 2nd level spells per day
- good domain spells (charm person, disguise self, mirror image, pass without trace)
- ritual casting
- advantage on stealth checks to a party member
- an illusionary double

And you don’t have to worry about your character being devout. Gods of trickery like Mask don’t care, they just want the character to be tricky.

Honestly, it’s almost worth it just to get pass without trace twice a day.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ah, I guess I didn't elaborate sufficiently (or, really, at all) about character concept.

Yes, a monster-hunter inquisitive (e.g. van Richten) would be an appropriately thematic Inquisitive. However, I'm envisioning somebody interested in secrets: objects, knowledge, books...or just poking his nose into places where he shouldn't be. He's a rich (noble background) dilettante who spent his inheritance on this pursuit, and he just gets a high from finding out what he's not supposed to know. ("So that's what an Elder Brain looks like. Cool. Ok, what's next on the list?")

I did look at Knowledge Domain, but it's the whole relationship with a god, or being a representative of a god, that seems off. He's cerebral, not religious. So, yes, the abilities are thematic but not so much the class concept.

Refluffing a Cleric as Psion does make sense, somewhat. I suppose it would depend on somebody's boundaries of how far they are willing to re-fluff.

(Picky, aren't I?)

Given that backstory I would go GoO Warlock. That would be my favorite way to have consequences for finding "secrets: objects, knowledge, books...or just poking his nose into places where he really shouldn't be"

Remove ads