D&D 5E Instant gratification versus saving money

Gundark

Explorer
I live in an area where a WPN store is 5 minutes from my house. However if I buy the PHB today it's a lot of money. Or do I wait and get it from Amazon for around 50% off. What would you do?

Boarstorm

First Post
I'm planning on supporting my FLGS by purchasing multiple books today.

But I'm blessed with disposable income, and I totally get how much money $20 is. Many of my friends have chosen Amazon for just that reason (hence the multiple books -- so they can borrow and jump in immediately).

Salamandyr

Adventurer
There isn't really a right or wrong answer. It's all a question of relative value.

In a years time, you probably won't remember what you spent the 20 dollars on that you will save if you purchase from Amazon, but at the same time, in a year, the two week wait for delivery will have ceased to be an issue as well.

Some people would recommend, if you play games at your local game store, that you buy your product there, and consider the extra 20 bucks a delayed entry fee for all the free game time you've at the store.

(I ordered from Amazon. I don't have a pressing need for the book this week, and I don't play in any of the local organized games, so no reason for me to pay more. The twenty dollars was more valuable to me than having the book an extra two weeks.)

Tormyr

Adventurer
I am in the position where I have to save money when it is easy to do so. A couple years ago, when my wife still had a job, I would have gotten these at the FLGS.

In the meantime, I will enjoy the monsters and other stuff added to basic. As a DM in a converted 3.5 campaign, that is going to be of more immediate use anyway.

Uller

Adventurer
If you value your FLGS you should support it with your money if you can. I live in a rural area. The farm down the road maintains a small grocery store and sandwich shop. Their prices are 50% higher than the big box stores in town but those are thirty minutes away. So I try to stop in once a week even if it its just for a gallon of milk or something. They appreciate the business and I get to meet my neighbors and like the convenience. But we dont do our major shopping there.

If you like having a FLGS but saving $20 or so on the core books is a big deal (which it is to me...thats a couple meals for my family), get the books from amazon but find a reason to spend some of the savings at the local store.

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'm going to my FLGS when they open here in an hour or so. So it's a must buy, I'll probably get one off of amazon as well just have to have 2PHBs for anyone who doesn't have one and wants to play at my table. Secondly, I would hardly call waiting this long instant gratification, I know what you mean, but I think I have waited quite long enough.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What would you do?

If I regularly played in a FLGS that had the book on sale, I'd support it. If it weren't a WPN store, I'd even consider waiting and buying it at full price when it does get to that store.

If I don't play at the store, I'd ask myself, "When am I really going to use the book? Do I need it now?" If I don't need it soon, I'd trade off speed for low price. If I do need it soon, I'd pay the extra cash.

Agamon

Adventurer
Well I will be taking an early lunch to go pick up my new books. That's my answer.

I'm leaving work at lunch, myself. It feels like 8-year old me at Christmas again. :)

I've already stayed out of any of the spoiler-y threads this week. I want to read it all myself (and not gloss over it because I think I know it already...I'm bad for that). So, I'm pretty patient for most things and buy a lot of stuff more cheaply when I can. But this is the exception. I like supporting the game store when I can, too.

Remove ads