D&D 5E Instant gratification versus saving money

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I don't really have an FLGS that I go to anymore. However, I found one 20 minutes away that will have the PHB.

I am mostly picking it and Hoard of the Dragon Queen up there today because a) it is on my way to work, and b) the group wants to play next on Aug 23 which is too early for Amazon (I also have HotDQ ordered by Amazon, just in case the FLGS does not have it).

I also ordered a copy of the PHB off Amazon for each of my players because all of the players are close friends or family.

Gundark

Explorer
So what I'm hearing is.....1NSTANT GRATIFICATION FOR THE WIIIIINNNNNNNNZZZZZZZ!!!!!11111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!one!!!!!!!

I mean...*ahem* I should probably support my local FLGS. Yes that sounds reasonable.

Crothian

First Post
I'm waiting for the local gaming stores to go out of business.

I'm getting it from Amazon. I would not being using in the next couple of weeks and I can turn the money saved into more gaming books.

Reynard

Legend
I'm waiting for the local gaming stores to go out of business.

I'm getting it from Amazon. I would not being using in the next couple of weeks and I can turn the money saved into more gaming books.

Gaming stores sell more books than Amazon -- not because they physically move more copies, but because they keep a community of gamers active and interested. And if your FLGS doesn't do so with games at the store, you should probably start running one. Ours is an inherently social hobby that doesn't just benefit from new blood, but absolutely needs it to survive.

And it does not have to be Pathfinder Society or RPGA or any other sort of organized play. Just play at a table with an open chair policy. Create gamers.

Xodis

First Post
I went ahead and bought it at full price at the FLGS. I didn't intend on doing it because they are primarily a MtG store and I never play anything there, however by just showing up and looking at the book I found a new group to game with...so it was a no brainer. Loving the book, love that the FLGS worked for me, and I feel its right to support them.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Trying to fight the urge to buy.

I have ordered a copy from Amazon but I just found out there is a local store with it. The problem is I have Gen Con fever but I am not going to Gen Con this year, so I find myself wanting it even more.

pkt77242

Explorer
I have been to my LGS only 1 time and while they seemed nice the prices seemed steep as well. So for my $50 I am thinking of getting:
1 PHB (Amazon, $30)
1 new set of dice (Amazon, $7, almost bought at the LGS but they sold the same set for $14, if it had been $10 I would have bought it there)
1 PDF version of X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield $5
1 PDF version of Pathfinder Ultimate Campaign Guide $10

So I would spend about $52 and get much more gaming pleasure out of it.

Crothian

First Post
Gaming stores sell more books than Amazon -- not because they physically move more copies, but because they keep a community of gamers active and interested. And if your FLGS doesn't do so with games at the store, you should probably start running one. Ours is an inherently social hobby that doesn't just benefit from new blood, but absolutely needs it to survive.

And it does not have to be Pathfinder Society or RPGA or any other sort of organized play. Just play at a table with an open chair policy. Create gamers.

I have zero interest in running games and supporting stores that have bad customer service and worse habits. I understand the need for gaming stores to keep the hobby alive and I'm not for the end of all hobby stores just the few local ones I have. They do run games there and they do benefit the hobby but they don't provide anything I need and certainly don't make me want to shop there. I support stores that act like they want me as a customer.

Remove ads