• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Int and Skills: What we know its not.

kalyptein

First Post
Like some, I'd been assuming Int would add its modifier in extra skills, but it seems that's not the case. That got me thinking, is expecting a universal benefit from each stat for all characters something we're all just used to from 3e?

In 4e so far, each stat can potentially contribute to a defense. Each stat is the basis for some powers' attack rolls for some classes. Each stat probably provides a damage bonus somewhere for some power for some class. The modifiers crop up in various powers for determining how far you slide someone or how big a bonus you give, or how many temp hp you grant. There are skills based on every stat (except Con? don't recall).

Apart from that, Con is actually the only one I can think of that has an additional, universal benefit (extra surges and extra starting hp). Maybe it's the unusual one.

WyzardWhately

First Post
It's also possible that the number of skills based on any given ability might not be equal. There just might be flat-out MORE skills based on INT, WIS, CHA than the physical stats. That would allow high mental stats to make you a good skill-monkey without resorting to extra trained slots. This is another place where the +5/trained model works out well, as having a high stat bonus for a skill you're untrained in will still matter at high levels, because there isn't an insurmountable disparity between maxed out skills and skills with no ranks invested.

mlund

First Post
I'm not sure that Intelligence necessarily needs to hook you up with more trained skills anymore. There doesn't seem to be a serious penalty for making an untrained Skill Check like there was in 3rd Edition. A level 2 character with a +4 Intelligence Modifier should have +5 in all Knowledge-type skills with no inane maximum DC of 10.

So "Smart" characters will indeed be allowed to be knowledgeable without having to dump a bunch of points into every Knowledge Skill they want to not auto-fail an adventure-related check on.

Intelligence is also governing one of your AC and Reflex Defense now - so it has a purpose other than Skill Points and Wizard Spell Casting.

- Marty Lund

Lacyon

First Post
WyzardWhately said:
It's also possible that the number of skills based on any given ability might not be equal. There just might be flat-out MORE skills based on INT, WIS, CHA than the physical stats. That would allow high mental stats to make you a good skill-monkey without resorting to extra trained slots. This is another place where the +5/trained model works out well, as having a high stat bonus for a skill you're untrained in will still matter at high levels, because there isn't an insurmountable disparity between maxed out skills and skills with no ranks invested.

This. Of the skills listed on the DDXP character sheets, 4 each were assigned to Int, Wis, and Cha. 3 were assigned to Dex (but I assume Thievery will have a fair amount of trained-only uses). Strength and Con got but 1 skill each.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Hmm. Something else to consider is that those skills that used to be 'trained only' are now something you can use even if you dont have it as a skill. There might be uses for some of those skills that anyone could find handy. Alternately, LACK of ability in that skill could prove to be a liability now too.

Sadrik

First Post
WyzardWhately said:
It's also possible that the number of skills based on any given ability might not be equal.
This is true. I intend to house rule dungeoneering and heal into INT skills too, unless I see a very valid reason not to when the game comes out. INT will then by far have the most skills under its banner.

Athletics (STR)

Endurance (CON)

Acrobatics (DEX)
Stealth (DEX)
Thievery (DEX) --> should this also be (INT)???

Arcana (INT)
History (INT)
Nature (INT)
Religion (INT)

Dungeoneering (WIS) --> (INT)
Heal (WIS) --> (INT)
Insight (WIS)
Perception (WIS)

Bluff (CHA)
Diplomacy (CHA)
Intimidate (CHA)
Streetwise (CHA)