• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Interview with Scott Rouse, Chris Perkins & Bill Slavicsek

Alnag

First Post
OK. I have one question which as far as I know was not asked and I hope somebody can answer it. What is the current position of WotC/Hasbro to the question of d20 licence or OGL. I am reading lot of rumors about this usually accompanied with 4e will not be OGL.

So what is the real position of WotC?

Do you support OGL/d20? Will you publish parts of e.g. SW Saga rules as SRD?

Or do you leave it alone? Not support not destroy?

Or do you intent to pull it back (i mean d20 logo and such, because OGL can't be simply scratch)?

Also reading about D&D 4e all the time, one has inevitable feeling, that despite the horrible fear of it comming, most of the people is looking forward to it. At least a little bit. And they are hope it will trump even the success of D&D 3e. So I hope you have it prepared to come just in time when the expectations are in the highest ;)

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I wouldn't say I've lost trust in them.
Just very curious in the directions they are taking. To me it all screams the release of 4E around the corner.
So trust isn't an issue.
I think it more a case of lack of confidence.
No they haven't told us anything solid. Personally I if I were Scott, Lidda, or any of the other lurking WOTC (mmm new monster anyone :lol: ), I would print off a good number of these threads and take them to a board meeting. And when they get that anything else question, ask them how do we handle these. Tally the numbers up for them, tell them how many are going to leave how many are willing to stay with and possibly purchase 'whatever' item x will be.
We know you have NDA's, Lord knows I sign enough of them quite regularly for my job. But nothing prevents you from 'Championing our voice' so to speak. Sure you can toss the quick viral reactions from the very beginning, but pay attention to the ones that thought out their responses. Especially ones that are willing to truely leave the game. All companies fear loss of revenue, while the numbers might not be large if they even come close to representing a 1% of the WOTC gamer base, they will take notice.

Case Example: it was what November when CMP lost the ability to continue publishing E-Tool & PC-Gen Datasets. Your ONLINE crowd has been clamoring on that for what 6 months now. All that is truly known is that it was for 'Future Considerations', well in that time you have lost a revenue stream that could have been incoming (i.e. datasets). If the Digitial Initiative isn't taken place till after Sept/Oct '07 timeframe, why wasn't an extension in place for them as well?

The community will eventually accept the D.I. plan, but a continious 'Wait & See' will add to the WOTC image of becoming to big for us. (wanted to say alienate but didn't sound right)

Another thing when you read these posts is how many possible Revenue streams does each poster represent? Someone like me, my group only 1 other has an account here or at WOTC's board and he only goes here or there when I send him a link to something interesting. I currently have 4 in the group who each buy stuff semi-regularly. Me I buy a good majority of the products. Also I have a 6yr old that loves Star Wars minis, he also likes picking up 'Pokeman' like cards every now and then. He also helps me pick out monster encounters when I planning out my DMing. :lol:

So take that into account as you go through these replies, then take into account how many are computer challenged, I wonder if Paizo has an 'age demographic' on the subscribers they could share. I would be willing to bet that a good majority of that 40k subscriber base is above age 30.

Ok I'm rambling again, but hope ya see the point I was making.

If you make it - they might not come but for a quick look
If you make it acceptable - they will come and try it.
If you make it right and appealing - they will come; try it; keep at it; and tell their friends.
If you make it and screw it up - they will come see it for what it is; and scream at the world.

Vocenoctum

First Post
DanFor said:
Why would I trust, respect, support, or encourage a company that makes bad (IMO) management decisions? How many people here trusted and encouraged T$R and Lorraine Williams back in the day?

Oddly enough, back in the day, I simply bought products I liked and didn't buy products I didn't like.When the latter became a lot more common than the former, I stopped looking at stuff from TSR. I will do the same with WotC, but since they're doing very well by me so far, I don't see why I should suddenly decide they're traitors to the brand.

DanFor

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
Oddly enough, back in the day, I simply bought products I liked and didn't buy products I didn't like.When the latter became a lot more common than the former, I stopped looking at stuff from TSR. I will do the same with WotC, but since they're doing very well by me so far, I don't see why I should suddenly decide they're traitors to the brand.

Traitors to the brand? Are you responding to my post or someone else's?

I respect that you have the opinion that WoTC is doing well by you. They aren't doing well by me. I'm more concerned about the recent decision to discontinue Dragon and Dungeon magazines than product quality, though.

Vocenoctum

First Post
DanFor said:
Traitors to the brand? Are you responding to my post or someone else's?

I respect that you have the opinion that WoTC is doing well by you. They aren't doing well by me. I'm more concerned about the recent decision to discontinue Dragon and Dungeon magazines than product quality, though.

Well, plenty of folks on ENWorld don't like WotC's stuff to start with, so to them the decision to cancel the magazines means a loss of product since they hate all WotC stuff anyway. In addition, some folks don't want electronic product anyway, so they're out unless they feel the print book compilations are a worthy replacement.

If you like the stuff WotC is doing, but won't have trust in their ability to make good product simply because it means the end of the magazines, then realistically WotC hasn't done wrong by you, as long as they follow through and a good product replaces a good product. Right now of course, it's hard to judge snce we don't have a lot of information, but since the magazines haven't ended yet either, you're still "getting" the stuff. :)

My vantage is of course different, I enjoy WotC's books, and they see a lot more use for me than the magazines have in a year. My subscriptions were ending as the announcements were made, with no intention for me to renew. I found the magazines to have a feeling of "the same stuff, again" while the books were more various.

As for "traitors to the brand", if you feel that WotC is not handling the duties of "D&D" responsibly, then that's what I mean. I personally like their stuff, though my opinion obvously is no more valid than any other.

DanFor

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
If you like the stuff WotC is doing, but won't have trust in their ability to make good product simply because it means the end of the magazines, then realistically WotC hasn't done wrong by you, as long as they follow through and a good product replaces a good product.

I like some of things that WoTC has published, but not necessarily everything. I don't quite follow your logic, though. They are replacing Dragon and Dungeon magazines with an electronic service. I'm not the least bit happy about that.

Vocenoctum said:
As for "traitors to the brand", if you feel that WotC is not handling the duties of "D&D" responsibly, then that's what I mean.

Again, I'm not understanding how you are drawing this conclusion. I guess if you're saying that mismanagement of a product is traiterous somehow...?

Vocenoctum

First Post
DanFor said:
I like some of things that WoTC has published, but not necessarily everything. I don't quite follow your logic, though. They are replacing Dragon and Dungeon magazines with an electronic service. I'm not the least bit happy about that.

They have canceled Dragon and Dungeon, they are also debuting an electronic service. Assuming they do produce a book occasionally with the best of the articles, it'd sort of be like replacing Dragon with Best of Dragon, or... something. :)

The actual electronic service, I don't, I'll wait and see.

Again, I'm not understanding how you are drawing this conclusion. I guess if you're saying that mismanagement of a product is traiterous somehow...?

I'm not sure how else to explain the term. Perhaps you're overanalyzing the phrase. Simply put then, you refuse to put your trust in WotC because they did something you don't like, even though you do trust their product quality? You won't trust them because they canceled the magazines, even though you think the replacement might be as good?

DanFor

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
You won't trust them because they canceled the magazines, even though you think the replacement might be as good?

No, I certainly don't think the replacement will be as good.

Excuse me for seeming dense. In your original response, it seemed like you were putting words in my mouth and being dismissive of the view I was trying to present because you felt your opinion was more valid than mine. Based on your replies, perhaps I was just being over-sensitive.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
DanFor said:
I know who to blame now, at least.

DanFor, this comment is out of order. Please remain very civil or your opportunity to participate here will be suspended. Please feel free to email me if this is unclear.

Thanks

daemonslye

First Post
ashockney - excellent points.

TRUST - those that were chosen to shepherd the Dungeons and Dragons game, because its all we have,

I believe that "those that were chosen" are actually chosen by "those that buy"; Being one of that number, I continue to have HOPE - that those that are chosen choose to hear those that BUY; Only time will tell if I and my compatriots are the minority, or whether we can foment CHANGE.

RESPECT - that everyone is entitled to there own opinion,

ENWorld rocks.

SUPPORT - be there for those with the greatest responsibility and those who need your help,

I agree. We, the fans, the consumers, the "players" - have the greatest responsibility to our hobby to keep it's flame alive. If we feel this is rooted in the direction of the Print Initiative in the near-term, do not be silent.

ENCOURAGE - use the energy you feel, that may initially be negativity, and invest it into making this game great, however best you can do it

I do so EVERY WEEKEND, my friend.

~D

Remove ads