D&D 5E Into the Dragon's Maw (OOC)

Matthan

Explorer
Notes:
I've treated the rituals spells for the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation as "extra spells for the spellbook", as detailed in the wizards specific rules for this game. I have chosen only a few ritual spells (those marked with a *), but I'll remove them if the DM ask for it.

Also, I have used the Find Familiar ritual, that's why I have a familiar. I'm using the variant rule from the Monster Manual (p. 347) that let me use any creature of Tiny size as a familiar. I can change it to a normal one if this rule is not allowed in this game, thought.

I looked over the sheet and it looks good. Thank you for breaking things down so cleanly for me. The only comments I have are on the notes.

No problem with the Book of Ancient Secrets.

I am going to nix the dragon familiar as written. That's a powerful little guy compared to the normal options for familiars outlined in the spell. However, I will let you reskin the stats of any of the flying familiars specifically mentioned in the spell as a dragon. So take raven stats (for example), but narratively, it's a small fey dragon. I'll allow the dragon to have narrative freedom to do magical acts (breathe fire or similar), but not in combat situations.

For example, I would be fine with you holding out a pipe to your familiar who breathes a bit of fire to light it before you bring it up to smoke it. I wouldn't be fine with it casting Color Spray on its own power in combat.

If you use the familiar in combat, it will only have the stats of the flying familiar (as per the spell) that you choose to use for it. However, you can describe its actions however you like. For example, if you wanted to use the familiar to make the Help action to give Advantage to the next attack against a creature, you can narrate that as the dragon breathing a sparkling cloud in the opponents face before someone strikes. It's just in the mechanics of the game, that action was not a breath weapon; it was the help action.

Does that make sense and does that work for you? If not, feel free to choose a different ritual for that slot.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I threw my hat in the ring a few weeks ago but I've decided to out. I don't have the time to prepare a 12th level character right now, although I was very excited at the concept of doing so.
Have fun guys, and I hope you'll have a joyful and safe holiday season.
Cheers,

SG

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
I looked over the sheet and it looks good. Thank you for breaking things down so cleanly for me. The only comments I have are on the notes.

No problem with the Book of Ancient Secrets.

I am going to nix the dragon familiar as written. That's a powerful little guy compared to the normal options for familiars outlined in the spell. However, I will let you reskin the stats of any of the flying familiars specifically mentioned in the spell as a dragon. So take raven stats (for example), but narratively, it's a small fey dragon. I'll allow the dragon to have narrative freedom to do magical acts (breathe fire or similar), but not in combat situations.

For example, I would be fine with you holding out a pipe to your familiar who breathes a bit of fire to light it before you bring it up to smoke it. I wouldn't be fine with it casting Color Spray on its own power in combat.

If you use the familiar in combat, it will only have the stats of the flying familiar (as per the spell) that you choose to use for it. However, you can describe its actions however you like. For example, if you wanted to use the familiar to make the Help action to give Advantage to the next attack against a creature, you can narrate that as the dragon breathing a sparkling cloud in the opponents face before someone strikes. It's just in the mechanics of the game, that action was not a breath weapon; it was the help action.

Does that make sense and does that work for you? If not, feel free to choose a different ritual for that slot.

I don't see a problem there. I know that rule lets the use of a stronger familiar, that's why I asked. I'll change the familiar to one that suits the RPs needs of my lock, then. B-)

I can't quite make out how on earth Pell has all this fancy magical equipment. He's a druggie and a convict. Granted, a likeable, affable, do-gooder druggie convict, but a druggie convict nonetheless. Maybe the High Court loaned it to him? Maybe he stole it? Maybe a carnivale patron loaned it to him? The latter's probably the most possible.

So Chairman7w is our first post in the IC, only I don't have a clue who Chairman7w is because they did not participate in character generation in this thread (I don't think?). Perhaps we could aim for inclusivity and invite him or her to make a character and play? If there is no room (because we have six?), then I'll sit tight and wait until things get sorted out before I post for Pell.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases