D&D 4E Introducing Orcus -- a 4E retroclone

WaffleSyrup

Villager
I'm always curious when people find stuff like this confusing, as it's always good to have clearer ways of conveying this kind of information when writing rules. Writing these somewhat mathematical bits has a lot of pitfalls. A wording that is completely clear to me will often just confuse my more math-phobic friends, while wordings that they actually find helpful often strike me as ambiguous or incomplete. (Maybe they give a clear answer 98% of the time but the 2% where they don't really bothers me.) So I hope you'll indulge me in asking a few questions.

(It is quite possible I'm massively overthinking this, all my questions have the same obvious-once-you-see-it answer, and this is a lot simpler than it looks to me. That would be kind of nice, actually!)
  • I'm a bit unclear on what the source of confusion was here. If you can articulate it, what made this wording confusing to you? (I know, I know, "why are you confused about _______" can be a difficult and even aggressive-sounding question. To be able to answer that question would, in some cases, require being no longer confused! If it's hard to say, it's hard to say.)
  • What, to you, would be a clearer way to say the same thing?
  • What made you think it might mean you used both scores? (And, used them how, exactly)?
  • You yourself used the word "higher" in the first (correct) one of your two options. To me this makes your question seem almost the same as "does 'higher' mean 'higher'?". Obviously, to you it didn't seem that way, or you wouldn't have asked! What makes the two "higher"s seem to you like they might mean different things?
I hope this comes off as genuine curiosity and desire to improve my own explanations, and not as badgering. That's an awful lot of text for such a small point! I'm somewhat sorry about that :giggle:.
And / Or

And implies that you use both, whereas or implies that you use either of the two listed ability scores.

For instance, "add the higher of your Dexterity modifier or your Intelligence modifier to your Reflex defense" makes a clearer distinction as to the ability score your supposed to add, versus "add the higher of your Dexterity modifier and your Intelligence modifier to your Reflex defense," which somewhat implies (at least to me) that your supposed to use both modifiers. The "higher" qualifier does help to differentiate which modifier is supposed to be used, but the "and" kinda muddies that.

I hope you find my answer satisfying.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
Ah, that would indeed be the "I'm overthinking this and it's actually quite simple" possibility.

Just to clarify where I'm coming from, to me "The higher" is a very strong indicator that we're looking for exactly one thing ("The"), namely the largest member ("higher") of some set (almost certainly with two elements or it would say "highest"), that's about to be enumerated. For this reason I completely overlooked which connective was used later. "Or" would indeed be clearer, as well as sounding slightly better, at least to my ear. But to me that was so completely dwarfed by "The higher" that it didn't even register.

Thanks!

WaffleSyrup

Villager
The next update will be two printable PDFs, the Hero's Handbook and the Game Master's Guide, which collate everything in the one place (well, two places) for easy printing and reference at the game table. That will be the "playtest edition", and mark the end of any major changes for some time.
So considering this chart from the Classes and Powers page:

ControllerDefenderLeaderStriker
ArcaneMagicianMageblade
DivineCrusader
MartialHarlequinGuardianCommanderExemplar
SpiritReaperSylvan

do you have any plans on filling out the blanks in the next update / updates beyond the next update, or do you intend on leaving it as is as design space for content creators?

Furthermore, considering how phrenic is listed as a power source but isn't the source of any current classes, do you plan on adding phrenic classes in the future?

Sanglorian

Adventurer
So considering this chart from the Classes and Powers page:

ControllerDefenderLeaderStriker
ArcaneMagicianMageblade
DivineCrusader
MartialHarlequinGuardianCommanderExemplar
SpiritReaperSylvan

do you have any plans on filling out the blanks in the next update / updates beyond the next update, or do you intend on leaving it as is as design space for content creators?

Furthermore, considering how phrenic is listed as a power source but isn't the source of any current classes, do you plan on adding phrenic classes in the future?
Good question. I'm not planning to make any new content ... although occasionally I do anyway as the mood takes me. I do have a phrenic controller that I may polish off -- or may not.

But it's basically all left for other content creators to play with. The phrenic stuff is actually only there because it appeared as Open Game Content in existing publications!

WaffleSyrup

Villager
I do have a phrenic controller that I may polish off -- or may not.
That sounds really cool! I hope you do find a way to finish it. I think it'd make a great jumping off point for hombrewers looking to make their own phrenic classes, but it also just sounds like it'd make an awesome addition to the current class roster
The phrenic stuff is actually only there because it appeared as Open Game Content in existing publications!
Oh, cool! I did not know that, that's rather interesting.
But it's basically all left for other content creators to play with.
Bet.
Thank you so much for the quick answer, Sanglorian! You're doing great work, and I'm loving everything I've read so far. Can't wait to give Orcus a go in my own games!

Sanglorian

Adventurer
Hey folks --

I've completed the formatted/print version of Orcus, which involves two 150+ page books: the Hero's Handbook and the Game Master's Guide.

Before the big launch I wanted to get some feedback, to pick up typos or other problems. If you'd be interested in getting early PDF copies, please send an email to sanglorian@gmail.com

You'd have at least a couple of weeks to read through them and come back with any thoughts you had, probably more like a month.
87YcLpj.png
oWcmknF.png

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So, have these made their official debut yet? I can't seem to find any more recent news about this particular project.

Sanglorian

Adventurer
All things considered, I've decided to release the Orcus Heroes' Handbook a little early. The proofreading is about 80% complete. I plan to officially launch it with more of a song and dance once that's happened -- including a print on demand option. But in the meantime I hope you enjoy!

And since it is an advance copy, feel free to let me know any typos, inconsistencies, etc. that you find. At this point I'm reluctant to make any changes bigger than that, but of course you can always contact me and suggest them if you like.

DOWNLOAD THE ORCUS HEROES' HANDBOOK

Thanks to all the proofreaders who helped improve Orcus!

--

Explore the wilderness, brave dark dungeons and cross the planes in this crunchy, tactical roleplaying game based on the fourth edition of the world's most popular roleplaying game.

The deep, flexible character creation rules for Orcus allow for a wide range of characters across the 10 character classes: from warriors that focus on the "essentials" of slaying their foes and defending their allies to magicians who control the battlefield. Over 20 kits allow for characters who break the mould, whether it's by shapeshifting, serving a deity or devouring monsters to gain their powers.

With 30 levels of play and over 900 powers to choose from, Orcus is a complete roleplaying game all under the Open Game License so you can make your own games and supplements.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases