• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Invasion by who or what

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A reverse D&D cartoon invasion: characters from fiction entering the "RW" of your campaign. You could even have them coming from the fiction of another world...though, if you do that, make it one close enough to have the invaders be quasi-recognizable.

I wouldn't go further out there than mashups of known characters- The Jane Eyrebender, for instance.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Themselves.

Put another way, given the premise of mythological heroes, the invaders are individuals also claiming to be said heroes. According to the invaders, the PCs and their allies are the imposters and the invaders have come to reclaim their birthright.

Which side is right? Perhaps both, perhaps neither.

tecnowraith

First Post
I am wanting to do the full-on invasion seen in movies and TV shows from V and Macross to ID4 and War of the World but with a more mythical/supernatural twist. I know i do not want any time travel plots. Also I have lovecraftian monsters and back-story for another campaign I am doing and not want to repeat myself too much.

I know I am wanting to use other dimension or realm but with a connect to real-world beliefs and wanting to use some dimensional creatures still with some real-world connection. I just can't think of some or can't find some without using type of religious belief which i do not want stick to just one.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Clive Barker's Imajica has a very imaginative setting that has a relationship to the RW. In a way, it's a darker version of C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy books. In both, what Christianity calls "The Fall" was the our plane of existence (or planet in CSL's stories) being cut off from the rest of the planes of reality.

In Imajica, the great religious leaders of the past- Jesus, Mohammed, Ghandi, etc.- were trying to heal the cosmos and reunite our world with the others. The thing is, those other worlds are full of creatures that would seem quite supernatural to us, so it's not like things are hunky-dory out there...

While neither author really does it, you could easily have those creatures be the knew that inspired various mythological beings.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Religion and the supernatural seem to go hand in hand.

Suggestions:
a) Mine Asian mythologies for the Really Weird Stuff.
b) Go Fey folk.

Whisper72

Explorer
From what I understand, your world has gone through cycles. So now the heroes of the past are reincarnated.

What if the invasion is by humans. In a previous 'cycle', they set out into space to explore now worlds. They got stranded somewhere on a strange planet. This planet altered them (magic, genetic, whatever). Now, after many, many years, they regrouped, repopulated this other planet and now go about to seek their origins. They insist they want to reclaim their old homeworld. They see the current population as 'usurpers'.

Remove ads