Invisibility (my players keep out)

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
From the SRD:
The spell ends if the subject attacks any creature. For purposes of this spell, an "attack" includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack. Thus, an invisible being can open doors, talk, eat, climb stairs, summon monsters and have them attack, cut the ropes holding a rope bridge while enemies are on the bridge, remotely trigger traps, open a portcullis to release attack dogs, and so forth. If the subject attacks directly, however, it immediately becomes visible along with all its gear. Note that spells such as bless that specifically affect allies but not foes are not attacks for this purpose, even when they include foes in their area.

OK, what I'd like to do is have an invisible NPC shove a note in a character's pocket. This isn't really an attack. But the invisible guy is touching the PC and I'd like to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before the encouter begins.

Are there any in the peanut gallery who might argue that this is an attack?

-BG

PS: Just as an FYI, the note reads:

"Isn't it scary to be in the same room as an invisible man with a knife?

Yours Truly,
Invisible man with a knife"

MerakSpielman

First Post
Sounds like a verbal assault to me.... :)

No, I don't think it would count as an attack.

I think a pick-pockets check might be in order, though.

And the character gets to make a spot DC20 to detect the invisible person, as well as listen checks.

(Right?)

I don't think this action would anyone regard as violent and furthermore you don't have to really touch the subject your putting just an object in his possession.
Will this note harm the character in any way? I have to aassume no.
And considering the fact that in spell description is noted that you can even cut the ropes that are holding a bridge and there can be someone on the bridge and that wouldn't be considered violent.
Ask your self is putting a note in someones possession a violent act? ;) I think you know the answer.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
IMHO, placing an ordinary note in his pocket would not be an attack. It'd be a different story if there were Explosive Runes on the paper, or if he were trying to plant a grenade.

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I agree, that it isn't inheriently violent. But this is a direct action, not an indirect one. I'm not going to play devil's advocate very hard because I'm inclined to agree. But again, I just wanted to make sure I was cool so I could have the guy do other stuff.

The pick pocket check is probably warrented though. Thanks!

melkoriii

First Post
No Attack roll is made or targeted spell. So no its not a attack.

A Rogue with a ring of Invisability can have lots of fun Pick-Pocketing.

jontherev

First Post
First of all, the pc gets to make a Listen or Spot check to notice the invisible npc. Use Move Silent of npc vs. Listen of pc to hear him coming up towards him. Then make a touch attack to successfully touch the target pc with the scroll. This would only let you place the object on the person, like on top of his backpack...not hide the scroll on the person (that's what Pick Pockets is for). Once you let go of the scroll, it reappears...so those lucky to have Pick Pockets, could use that skill to actually pull it off without being detected. If you really don't want this guy found at this point, best make him a rogue with lots of ranks of PP, MS, Hide, etc.

Remove ads