• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Invisibility

Is an object hidden within clothing/gear affected by invisibility, visible?

• Poll closed .
Hello.

I was running a D&D game so a PC casted Invisibility (PHB 254).
He then picked up an object, which led to a little debate.
1) Would this object that his character picked up appear flying towards a witness?
2) Invisibility magic would affect the entire body including this character's clothing and gear. If he put this object inside his clothes would that object disappear?

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful answers.

Tom Bagwell

Explorer
Here's the most official answer I've seen, by Jeremy Crawford:
invisible.PNG

aco175

Legend
I think between the title of the poll and your OP, the yes/no is blurred. I voted yes based on the OP that is would turn invisible once put inside a pocket in closed your hand around it. Then I read the poll and it looks like voting yes means that it would stay visible.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
I think Jeremy's answer is pretty decent. If you pick it up after turning invisible, it's visible until you conceal it. That may, in fact, take your action. Picking it up would be the free object interaction. Hiding it would be the action. If you're a thief, I'd allow you to conceal it with Fast Hands as a bonus action.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I think there is enough wiggle room to rule that something picked up after the spell is cast is not invisible but only things carried or worn at the time of the casting.

Personally, that's how I'd rule it because limitations on magic are more interesting and lead to fun scenarios trying to work around them. But I could also see a DM shrugging their shoulders and being like, sure. I think either way is fine as long as it is consistent.

Stormonu

Legend
The real question: If you hold the object behind you, can the person in front of you see it?
Yikes! Food for thought!

I’d have to say no. Otherwise, people wouldn’t be able to see walls, trees and other people on the other side of you.

(And for the record, when it comes to turning invisible underwater, my opinion is that it shouldn’t create a “hole” that can be seen - though someone could see the thrashing on the surface or bubbles spinning off underwater as you move or exhale).

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
D'oh! I misread the question and voted Yes, when No is the correct answer for how I rule it, similar to Crawford's opinion. I can't seem to change my vote, but just wanted the record to reflect my true answer!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads